Yanagiba uses other than fish…

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So at my job we get boxes of chicken breasts (with fat but no bones) that we have to portion into 10oz, 7oz, 5oz, and 3.5oz portions. Typically I use my Togashi Ktip Gyuto for this but it needs a trip to the stones.

I have a Yanagiba I use for only two tasks, taking think skin off and portioning salmon and portioning tuna. Occasionally I have to cover sushi and I’ve cut sashimi a couple times so I decided to try it out on portioning chicken.

Worked amazingly! I’m wondering if any of you guys have used your Yanagiba knives on things other than fish?

I worked sushi stations for years using only yanagibas and debas. I would do literally everything related to sushi production with yanagiba -except fish fabrication-. Once you get past the knuckle clearance issue and have adapted your grip and technique to account for steering, I found yanis to be quite comfortable for finer produce-prep tasks.

I worked sushi stations for years using only yanagibas and debas. I would do literally everything related to sushi production with yanagiba -except fish fabrication-. Once you get past the knuckle clearance issue and have adapted your grip and technique to account for steering, I found yanis to be quite comfortable for finer produce-prep tasks.
I can verify that many sushi chefs use their yanagiba for literally everything except breaking down the fish itself. I'm not one of those chefs myself, but I can verify that this is the case for many in the industry.

Just to clarify: I don't think there's anything wrong with using your yanagiba for everything. It's just not my style.

I used my Yanagiba for everything including breaking down fish when I was beginner.
I still see a 60 years old Japanese Sushi chef using one Yanagiba for everything too. From morning prep to dinner service all using the same Yanagiba. He have plenty brand new knives gifted from his friends and customers but he still stick to his one and only Yanagiba.

Some chef treats their knives liked their wife, some seeing them as their one and only tool cause they’ve been using it for so long until it won’t cut anymore.

My old head Chef at an Italian-American restaurant used as basically a Chef's knife. I wouldn't of called it ideal, but, he made it work. He also had a Chef knife and Chinese cleaver... but the Yanagiba was his most used knife...🤷‍♂️

Worked amazingly! I’m wondering if any of you guys have used your Yanagiba knives on things other than fish?

This, absolutely! Yes, I basically use my less expensive yanagi (Minonokuni Ume 240mm) as a chefs knife when I'm feeling fancy. I use it for a ton of stuff I probably shouldn't (harder produce, mostly) and I keep the back ~2" towards the heel with a fairly steep microbevel on both sides in case I need to pop something a little tougher. If I'm being honest, I just feel more "chef-y" when I'm using it, so...who cares!

Back