Yaxell Zen

Discussion in 'Reviews' started by The Anti-Chrysler, Mar 20, 2013.

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums by donating:

1. Mar 20, 2013 #1

The Anti-Chrysler

The Anti-Chrysler

The Anti-Chrysler

I'm not a professional reviewer by any means, so please bear with me. I have been bitten by the knife bug recently, and have greatly increased my collection in very short time.
    Last week, I was looking around, and I realized that I didn't have a sujihiki. So after a very short bit of looking around, I bought a Yaxell Zen 255mm Damascus VG-10 suji from NagomiJapan.
    I love the look of damascus and hammer finishing.
    Paid extra for the expedited shipping and received it today. About $115 shipped.
    It was in a nice presentation box, and upon examination, the fit and finish was pretty good. The finish on the blade is a little better than the finish on the handle. In fact the blade itself looks flawless to me. Nice, even grind, good polish, hair-popping sharp. The handle has some very fine sanding scratches, and about a <1/32" gap between the micarta and the bolster that is filled with epoxy. You have to look close to see it.
    When you get a new knife, obviously you need to find something to cut. So with that in mind, I grilled up a small pork loin for dinner.
    The knife cuts grilled pork loin as well as I could have ever hoped, which it should coming right out of the box. Time will tell on the edge holding, but by the way it sings, it seems pretty hard.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

What I like:
    Purdy. In fact, it's beautiful.
    Wicked sharp OOTB.
    Looks like it's high quality.
    Very attractive price.
    Good size for slicing.

What I don't like:
    The handle has just a touch more girth than I would prefer, but I don't have particularly large hands, so YMMV.
    The handle isn't quite as nicely finished as the blade. A niggling qualm on a knife at this price point.

To sum it up, if you're in the market for a tsuchime suminigashi VG-10 suji on a budget, it's hard to go wrong with this one.

2. Mar 20, 2013 #2

wsfarrell

wsfarrell

wsfarrell

Nice looking knife. Thanks for the review!

3. Mar 20, 2013 #3

The Anti-Chrysler

The Anti-Chrysler

The Anti-Chrysler

Thanks!
    I know the pics could have been better, it's kinda difficult to get good pics indoors with an inexpensive digital camera.
    One other thing I like about this knife is the stamped kanji. It annoys me when a painted kanji starts wearing off.