Quantcast

yellow paper steel

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

rmbonham

Reaction score
what are your thoughts on yellow paper steel as the core for a laminated blade???

rmbonham

Reaction score
hmm not sure. Did not know there was a 2 and a three. Pretty much a virgin when it cmes to japanese steel. what would the difference be and which one do you feel is superior?

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
#2 is similar to a lot of the SK steels... not the best for kitchen knives, but acceptable... tends to stink a bit when cutting acidic foods... #3 has too little carbon to be good for kitchen knives

Cipcich

Founding Member
Reaction score
Narrow question, but a cool chart.
Are you thinking of making a knife, or buying one?

Cipcich

Founding Member
Reaction score
OK. clearly, you're not considering making a knife.
And let me preface this by saying that that the other respondents to your query are far more knowledgeable about kitchen knives than I am, probably by several orders of magnitude.
Nevertheless, I wouldn't base my decision on buying a knife solely on the steel. I happen to really like the yellow steel knives by one maker (Sadayusa), but my opinion should be appropriately weighted, as I lack the experience and knowledge to back it up.
It would be very interesting, at least to me, for Gator would get hold of one and do a review.

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
sadayasu is interesting... the heat treat is geared towards toughness and edge retention and they do a very good job with it. However, that is just one company of hunderds, most of whom do a very poor job with yellow steel.

Either way, i would stay away from yellow #3 (and white #3 for that matter) with kitchen knives

Cipcich

Founding Member
Reaction score
I mentioned Sadayusa in the earlier thread to which you made reference, and another member offered an opinion with which I largely agreed. I don't know how he broke the tip of his knife, but I received one with a broken tip, and chose to fix it rather than send it back. I wouldn't part with a Sadayusa over so small an issue.
While I have no objective means of measuring hardness, other than feel or glass, I believe the knives to be exceedingly hard. That's one thing I like about them, and something which no doubt contributes to what I perceive to be their other virtues; i.e., they get razor sharp and stay sharp, though they are prone to developing micro chips. I enjoy sharpening these knives more than any others I own.
Sadayusa knives do have a somewhat rustic quality, as was noted, but are well made. I personally haven't detected any appreciable discoloration or odor.
A more professional evaluation would be of general interest.

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
Some chat about Sadayasu here.

http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/s...-had-500-for-a-Gyuto-what-would-you-get/page5

Jon, have you any experience with Sadayasu?, if so I would be interested to hear it.
i've used one and sharpened 2... rustic, yes... but nice overall. I find them a little on the tall side for me and the tip shape is kind of wierd to me, but it works just fine on those knives. Sharpening was a little more difficult than i expeected based on my othr experience with yellow steel, but still not too bad. I did get some chipping on the edge when i slammed it down on my board, but then again i slammed it down on my board ;)

They were the first yellow steel knives i didnt think were a joke.

rmbonham

Reaction score
thank you all, but i have decided to go with s30v using stock removal method and sending it off for proper heat treat and cryo.

rmbonham

Reaction score
Thank you all, but I have decided on s30v using the stock removal method and sending it off for heat treat and cryo.

JBroida

Founding Member
KKF Vendor
Reaction score
dave... for what it's worth, hitachi doesn't make type a and b any more (even though some craftsmen still have stock)... now they make just one type for each about in the middle of a and b

Dave Martell

Forum Founder
Professional Craftsman
Reaction score
dave... for what it's worth, hitachi doesn't make type a and b any more (even though some craftsmen still have stock)... now they make just one type for each about in the middle of a and b

Is that blue you're referring to?