yet another knifeselectionhelp, this time from Denmark - hope you will help getting me a good start

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frederik159

Reaction score
Hello, to start of,
I wanted a good Japanese knife. Sow i search on danish sites on what to go for.
The result here was a MAC ultimate sbk-95. Then went to a local high-end kitchen gear shop and they told me to get a
masahiro mv-pro 210/240mm. Searsching the internet i found knifes like the Takeda Classic Gyuto and found them attractive.
The market seems overwhelming, and opinions different. Have the active useres on KitchenKnifeForums found a consensus around the best knife to choose for let us as an example say within my needs:

KNIFE TYPE
Chefs knife

Are you right or left handed?
Right

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
no preference

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
210-240mm? any advice?

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
no

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
arround 300 USD / 270 Euros / 2000 DKK

KNIFE USE
Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
No-name Chefs knife

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
Pinch Grip probably but sometimes hammer

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
Slice, Chop

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
Just a all round good knife, that you enjoy putting in your hand.

Better aesthetics (e.g., a certain type of finish; layered/Damascus or other pattern of steel; different handle color/pattern/shape/wood; better scratch resistance; better stain resistance)?
I kind of like the Takeda style, but absolutely no need.

Comfort (e.g., lighter/heavier knife; better handle material; better handle shape; rounded spine/choil of the knife; improved balance)?
maybe on the heavier side.

Ease of Use (e.g., ability to use the knife right out of the box; smoother rock chopping, push cutting, or slicing motion; less wedging; better food release; less reactivity with food; easier to sharpen)?
Food release and easy to sharpen would be nice

Edge Retention (i.e., length of time you want the edge to last without sharpening)?
I dont quite understand why everyone shouldnt want a long retention? Until then
A long edge retention.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
I think not, but be free to ask if i had missed something over overlooked anything.
I do however prefer that i can get it in Denmark/Europe because of taxes and VAT.

Frederik

Welcome! It seems as if you like the Takeda by looks. The steel has very good edge retention. The handles are a bit on the small side for me but that is a personal thing.

I've not tried the Itonomonn that Tim recommended but it gets very good reviews and the seller is most trustworthy.

Well, something apparently went wrong, my first answer have for some reason not been posted.
I have contacted Maksim and a waiting for an answer.
It indeed looks like a really nice site.

Back