Yet another, what knife should I buy thread

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh well, if it's doesn't work out well it wasn't overly expensive and this was a great learning experience.

Pretty much sums up the togo process right there...good luck.

Be sure to let us know how it works out for you after you've had a chance to use it.

Hope the Yahiko goes well. Do let us know.

Well, had the Yahiko R2 for about three months now and have great things to say about it.

I haven't used many high end knives so I can't compare it really, but to me, I really enjoy using it. It's got a great thin feel that I think is great for cutting everything I've used it for. It's razor sharp three months later, except near the tip, which has some micro chips. I'm sure I don't always cut correctly though. I took it in to get sharpened and they told me there was no point.

It really does come OOTB with a sharp edge. Downsides are it feels a bit long when slicing sometimes and the end of the heel is very pointed and sharp. Worth every cent imo and I'd like to compare it to the Takamura R2. Only three months though so who knows who long it'll last.

Wish I would have known about that one before.

I have some Amazon Dalstrong POS knives that I'll practice with first.

What Dalstrong? I've got a couple of Shoguns (hammered gyuto & pairing) and have been pleased with them so far. The gyuto has had some very minor edge chipping but its edge holding has been impressive.

The hammered gyuto is probably the worst knife I've ever used. Way too heavy and thick.

Their shogun 9.5" that they sent me recently had been a pleasant surprise however. Free knife and cuts well out of the box. Did a one handed plum cut the other day which shocked me.

Back