• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Bought Yoshi or Konosuke SKD Tsuchime 240

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

@ftermath

Reaction score
I recently picked up a 240 Yoshi tsuchime and I really like it. It’s 153g though and I’d like to try to find something 180+... if that exists.

Last edited:
yeah, the KNS is a bit heavier because of the ebony handle, so it may not be what OP is looking for as it just shifts the weight back.

that said OP, if you are interested in one, DM me and we can chat.

Mine is also at 154g (listed around 180 or 190g on EE). Would be curious to know from which retailer you can find 180+.
Great knives
GLWsearch

I’m talking to KNS about it now. Mine was listed on EE for a similar weight but when it arrived it was 153. EE isn’t restocking Yoshi’s and now they’re out so it looks like I need to source from elsewhere.

Last edited:
yeah, the KNS is a bit heavier because of the ebony handle, so it may not be what OP is looking for as it just shifts the weight back.

that said OP, if you are interested in one, DM me and we can chat.
This is my primary concern with their version, other than I prefer the tsuchime.

My Yoshi SKD nashiji from Cutting Edge Knives UK weighs about 190g with a wenge octo handle. So, unless you're really wedded to the tsuchime finish, that's what I'd recommend.

My Yoshi SKD nashiji from Cutting Edge Knives UK weighs about 190g with a wenge octo handle. So, unless you're really wedded to the tsuchime finish, that's what I'd recommend.
Thanks. Would you mind sharing where the balance point is?

Thanks. Would you mind sharing where the balance point is?
Sure thing, it's about 1.5 inches in front of the ferrule as shown.

Attachments

• PXL_20210105_122001048.jpg
    PXL_20210105_122001048.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 58
Sure thing, it's about 1.5 inches in front of the ferrule as shown.
Thank you. That still works well for me. I sent them an email asking to verify weight and heal height. That might be the route I need to go.

Thank you. That still works well for me. I sent them an email asking to verify weight and heal height. That might be the route I need to go.
No problem. I just re-measured mine and it's 188.8g and 50.5mm tall at the heel. Fingers crossed they can find a similar one for you.

Thanks! Actually it's a maple end grain board, just over 10 years old now. It's gotten darker and yellower with age.

I think Cutting Edge has more of the SKDs available in case you're interested. It's a fantastic knife.

Thanks! Actually it's a maple end grain board, just over 10 years old now. It's gotten darker and yellower with age.

I think Cutting Edge has more of the SKDs available in case you're interested. It's a fantastic knife.
They do. I’m waiting on additional details from KNS before I decide.

Thanks for all the help folks. I’ll keep this open for a bit in case someone decides they want to move theirs.

If it helps, I recently purchased the Yoshikane SKD Tsuchime Gyuto (aka Konosuke) from Epicurian Edge. Mine is 240 x 48mm and the weight is 141g for the blade alone; 170g with the standard handle (is that Ho or Magnolia?). I put a custom handle on mine from Sugi (Jo Bone) so it's about 20g more.

The thickness measurements: At the front of the handle it measures 4.1mm. That quickly tapers to 3.3 at 1cm in front of the heel, then there is a smooth distal taper: down to 2.3mm at the midpoint and then down to 1.6 at the point where the grind begins. From there the tip is very thin behind the edge.

I have a 10 year old 240mm Yoshi SKD Tsuchime from EpicEdge and it has a much beefier blade than a more recent example acquired a year or so ago from Bernal.

They both have stock ho handles, older one is 199g, newer is 150g

Neither are for sale - just wanted to chime in on the difference in weights over time.

If it helps, I recently purchased the Yoshikane SKD Tsuchime Gyuto (aka Konosuke) from Epicurian Edge. Mine is 240 x 48mm and the weight is 141g for the blade alone; 170g with the standard handle (is that Ho or Magnolia?). I put a custom handle on mine from Sugi (Jo Bone) so it's about 20g more.

The thickness measurements: At the front of the handle it measures 4.1mm. That quickly tapers to 3.3 at 1cm in front of the heel, then there is a smooth distal taper: down to 2.3mm at the midpoint and then down to 1.6 at the point where the grind begins. From there the tip is very thin behind the edge.
This does help, thank you. That verifies the one I got is very much on the lighter side.
I have a 10 year old 240mm Yoshi SKD Tsuchime from EpicEdge and it has a much beefier blade than a more recent example acquired a year or so ago from Bernal.

They both have stock ho handles, older one is 199g, newer is 150g

Neither are for sale - just wanted to chime in on the difference in weights over time.
Again, very helpful. Interesting how much lighter they got recently.
Just dropped my Amekiri (white) on the scale. 198g
This is looking more and more like the way I’m going to go.
I think mine (not for sale) is much beefier. I'll post specs when I get a chance.
Please do. This thread turned into a helpful reference for anyone else interested in this knife.

Wow, I'm very surprised- mine is only 183g! Feels a lot heavier. Performs as a much more beefy knife.

It has a ho handle and quirte a short heel height, which I guess contribute.

Moral of story: don't rely on weight to estimate performance and thinness.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the inputs everyone. I spoke with multiple vendors and found the same variance in weight as here. KNS claimed that all of their examples were in the upper 180s, though I missed purchasing their last one by an hour. EE is where I purchased the 153g example I currently have and they will NOT be restocking Yoshi knives in the future due to price increases - the stock they have is the last they’ll have. Carbon said that all their examples were around 181g. I purchased a Nashiji finish from there as a result. Cutting Edge had upper 180g to lower 190g options but the price was prohibitive, partially because of elevated shipping costs.

Last edited:
Too bad about the price increases and Epicurian Edge no longer stocking them. I'm a noob here but I really like my Yoshikane (Konosuke) Tsuchime SKD12. I guess I bought at the right time.

Back