Yoshida Hamono ZDP189

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alexec

Reaction score
Hello guys!
Yoshida Hamono zdp price seem very good in Europe!
Is there any reviews on them you can share?
How come the price so good?
Thanks in purpose

Can any of the smiths here comment on whether it is a good idea to do as much open air forging on ZDP laminates as their website claims, or whether that will actually wreck the steel? From what I head about PM steels, doing so seems like boiling chocolate and then expecting it to cool to perfect temper. I mean, ZDP would be cast iron if you let it do what it wants?

Can any of the smiths here comment on whether it is a good idea to do as much open air forging on ZDP laminates as their website claims, or whether that will actually wreck the steel? From what I head about PM steels, doing so seems like boiling chocolate and then expecting it to cool to perfect temper. I mean, ZDP would be cast iron if you let it do what it wants?

What do you mean?

They look like nice blades. My limited experience with ZDP189 you can put a sharp edge on it, however it is not that sharpening friendly. Perhaps a different maker that might not be the case.

Have used SKD, Akifusa SRS15, Takamura R2, Tojiro HSPS all work very well for chef knives. Good edge retention and easy to sharpen and with polishing stones can make them as sharp as you like.

Could be wrong but my feeling was the later powder steels the foundries really got their act together producing superb powdered stainless.

I was told most if not all zdp knives were prelaminated and laser cut, said the process of bonding zdp steel to cladding was a complicated process. I do know that sukenari zdp knives are not hand forged.

Back