Yoshihiro whetstones.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blank Blades.

Blank Blank.
KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
Has anyone tried the yoshihiro brand whetstones? I see them from time to time, and always wonder about how well they actually work. I have only seen information come from the company themselves about them. Does anyone own these, or heard anything about them?

At the very least they have a nice presentation. I think the clean minimalist look of them is what has me interested. Obviously performance is a lot more important though.

I would like to know the answer to that question as well!!

As there are only a few stone manufacturers, I guess those are rebranded ones. Once you know who is the original manufacturer it's much more likely to get reactions from members who have used them.
In general, rebranded ones are much more expensive than the same stone sold under the manufacturer's own name. That explains why rebranded ones aren't that popular amongst members here.

As there are only a few stone manufacturers, I guess those are rebranded ones. Once you know who is the original manufacturer it's much more likely to get reactions from members who have used them.
In general, rebranded ones are much more expensive than the same stone sold under the manufacturer's own name. That explains why rebranded ones aren't that popular amongst members here.
I couldn't find any info on who actually makes them. The nagura stone they offer looks just like the one that came with my kitayama though, and their stone fixer looks just like togiharu's pink 100 grit stone fixer. Really I have no idea though.

Let us just see if someone recognises them.
Yoshihiro-Professional.jpg

The stone in the center looks a LOT like my Arashiyama 6k. The stand, color of the stone and naguara all matches; only the print on the top is different.
It's not a guarantee that those are the same though.
Also reminds me of the rebranded stones from JCK.

Otherwise I second what Benuser said; usually buying stones from a knife manufacturer just tends to give you a rebranded stone at a higher price. Doesn't mean they're bad stones though - just not necessarily the best deal. Though there's some exceptions; for example Watanabe has a pretty good price on his stones.

The stone in the center looks a LOT like my Arashiyama 6k. The stand, color of the stone and naguara all matches; only the print on the top is different.
It's not a guarantee that those are the same though.
Also reminds me of the rebranded stones from JCK.

Otherwise I second what Benuser said; usually buying stones from a knife manufacturer just tends to give you a rebranded stone at a higher price. Doesn't mean they're bad stones though - just not necessarily the best deal. Though there's some exceptions; for example Watanabe has a pretty good price on his stones.
Agree, the center stone looks like my Arashiyama6k as well. everything matches.

The only stone I’m really interested in is the 10000 grit, these are on sale now for under a hundred USD not a bad price for that grit and it would fill a void in my collection. I also can’t seem to find out if these are splash n go’s or soakers

The only stone I’m really interested in is the 10000 grit, these are on sale now for under a hundred USD not a bad price for that grit and it would fill a void in my collection. I also can’t seem to find out if these are splash n go’s or soakers
I think they require a soak at lower grits. However the 6000 and higher are likely effectively splash and go even if they aren't intended to be. That's just a guess though, taken from my experience with other high grit soaking stones.

For high grit stone, maybe you can try kitayama 8k, Naniwa Snow white 8k, or shapton glass 16k, depand on how you want to finish, what steel & what purpose.

Based on my experience, I had try JCK brand stone before, cutting was too slow for SG2. Liked 3 times slower than my cerax & shapton glass. I assume some rebrand stone is not very good.

For high grit stone, maybe you can try kitayama 8k, Naniwa Snow white 8k, or shapton glass 16k, depand on how you want to finish, what steel & what purpose.

Based on my experience, I had try JCK brand stone before, cutting was too slow for SG2. Liked 3 times slower than my cerax & shapton glass. I assume some rebrand stone is not very good.
Already have both the Snow White and the kitayama, although my Snow White just denigrated me with cracks everywhere not sure why I take care of it just like my chosera’s with very very much care and I do love that stone, so sad. The kitayama is a great stone for a smokier finish I just wanted to try something with a brighter finer finish.

Already have both the Snow White and the kitayama, although my Snow White just denigrated me with cracks everywhere not sure why I take care of it just like my chosera’s with very very much care and I do love that stone, so sad. The kitayama is a great stone for a smokier finish I just wanted to try something with a brighter finer finish.
For SW, I have the same problem, the clear nail polish can solve the problem. Seal bottom & side.
Now my SW don't have the spider web cracking anymore.

For SW, I have the same problem, the clear nail polish can solve the problem. Seal bottom & side.
Now my SW don't have the spider web cracking anymore.
mine is glued to a stand so the bottom I can’t get to. Did you end up buying a new one and then sealing it.

M
mine is glued to a stand so the bottom I can’t get to. Did you end up buying a new one and then sealing it.
My SW didn't have the stand, I thought SW suppose without stand?

But you can remove stand, not hard.

Wasn't glueing on a stand / backing a way to prevent it from breaking? I'd be inclined to keep it on the stand.

There is one with the stand and one without the IF1001 is on the stand but it’s the same stone from what I understand. It’s so cracked now that I don’t think it would survive a base removal. I’m thinking about replacing it but with what? And that brings me back to my interest in the 10000k yoshihiro.

supeerstone 12k and shapton pro 8 and 12k will give you an almost mirror silver finish. no contrast at all.
cerax 8k a bright hazy kasumi. imanishi 10k low contrast bright but with some contrast depending on steel type.

personally i wouldn't roll the dice on the yoshihiros. i see on their site that almost all the stone gits are also available in white.
so it could be anything. its just color anyway. the 10k white looks like an imanishi 10k. but its still just a white stone stamped with 10000 so it could be anything.

get something known to be good instead. its better to know what you get before.

personally i wouldn't roll the dice on the yoshihiros. i see on their site that almost all the stone gits are also available in white.
so it could be anything. its just color anyway. the 10k white looks like an imanishi 10k. but its still just a white stone stamped with 10000 so it could be anything.

get something known to be good instead. its better to know what you get before.
The site could always use a geauni pig. I mean, there is a chance that they were made by a quality manufacturer for them.

Wasn't glueing on a stand / backing a way to prevent it from breaking? I'd be inclined to keep it on the stand.
I've been using SW without stand for R years, For the stone like SW, I think with/without is fine...

There's no way SW will finish in short period. Maybe with stand is better, but i never try or actually need it. 😳😳😳

The site could always use a geauni pig. I mean, there is a chance that they were made by a quality manufacturer for them.

of course they are made by one of the more known factories. thats not the problem. the problem is that 1 you dont know which, and 2 you dont know what series of stones, or even if its some custom formula (highly unlikely).

and that results in you not knowing if they are splash and go or soakers. soft or hard. muddy or not. fast or slow. etc etc etc. basically everything one would want to know before buying a stone.

and even if you know all that. they can still be crap stones in the end

but hey its not my money.

of course they are made by one of the more known factories. thats not the problem. the problem is that 1 you dont know which, and 2 you dont know what series of stones, or even if its some custom formula (highly unlikely).

and that results in you not knowing if they are splash and go or soakers. soft or hard. muddy or not. fast or slow. etc etc etc. basically everything one would want to know before buying a stone.

and even if you know all that. they can still be crap stones in the end

but hey its not my money.
Totally agree, if I'm purchase a stone, before i need to know all details, for mirror or kasumi, splash & go or soaker, hard or soft, etc...
That's very important, otherwise just like gambling...

Someone was the first to buy and try a Shapton pro 1000,
He spread the word and now we all know what / how it is.

It can be fun the try a new stone. If you are looking to fill a specific gap you have, I wouldn't suggest it, because of what inferno said.

If you are looking for a 'high gritt stone' and you are up for an experiment, I don't think the stone will fail.
You will find out what it does and how it is different from your other stones. It will be of use to you, whatever it turns out to be. It might feel like a 6000 you allready have, but different. Maybe it feels more towards a 12k, but different. Accept how it feels and use it accordingly. Like i've learned from here, the grittnumber is just a number which only says 'coarse/medium/fine'. The number isnt science.

Well as I did when I bought my first stone and my last one I am not one to through good money out the window I will generally always look for some reviews or feedback. I see there website has plenty of sharpening videos and advice so I think there reputable, but still odd there is so little info on them which does suggest they may not be great. Anyhow I’ll stick my head back down the rabbit hole and see what’s best for my next stone.

Naniwa Super Stone 10000 or Sigma 13k. Anything else I found sub in one area or another.

Would you suggest getting both of them or just one will do?
Are you using it for knives or razors? If its just for knives you will be fine with just one of them I'm sure.

As for the yoshihiro stones. I'm almost looking at it like jnats, except the risk isn't as big. Basically it could be amazing, or it could be mediocre. As far as brands go I would trust yoshihiro more than someone like Shaun (who also have there own line of stones I believe).

I know if I get some extra cash I might pick one up for myself, just to do a review for posterity. Maybe I can talk someone into grabbing it for me as a Christmas present.

Back