Yoshikane differences?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deskjockey

Reaction score
From the more experienced I see in this forum, Yoshikane gets a lot of praise for a knife in its price "class". Konosuke also gets high praise which apparently includes some Yoshikane models with a bit more final fit and polish in their line as well.

As I look around the web at these knives, I'm not seeing a lot of retail options, and contrasting different models within the Yoshikane line is not easy. Further, I have read a few comments like the one from DaveB whom I respect, that commented the "dimpled Yoshikane I used was piggish" (maybe not 100% exact but, close ;)).

Where are the better places to shop for Yoshikane knives? Within Yoshikane's kitchen knife range, how do they compare amongst themselves? Are there any particular real stand-outs that are significantly better than others at a similar price or specific models within the range that were a letdown as referenced in DaveB's post?

TIA,
Sid

I should also note, I am specifically looking at the longer Gyuto (240mm or greater) and possibly a Santoku or short Gyuto (180mm) for normal home kitchen uses mainly on lots of produce for stews and various side dishes.

It is a challenge to find them in stock, that is for sure.
I had a 240 in W2, pear skin finish, no real complaints, a fantastic knife, I sold it to get something I hoped would be better... The person I sold it to is over the moon with it.
I have a 210 in SKD, also pear skin, love this one, gonna keep it for a long time I have a feeling.
The brand has its detractors, mostly I've seen complaints about the flat-ish profile near the heel, it doesn't mesh with some folks, my cutting style does not seem to be bothered by it.
I mostly see 210 and 240 gyutos on offer, the options seem to be between W2 and SKD, hammer finish or pear skin. epic edge seems to offer a wider variety than anyone else I've seen for offerings beyond what I just mentioned, you may want to explore that. Other than that, keep an eye on what these guys have in stock:
Knives and Stones
Kniferoll
The Cook's Edge

I own a Yoshikane Hamono white #2 Nashiji 240 gyuto, SS cladding. It original came from knife roll. Sharp as hell and have not had to sharpen it yet. I mostly use yoshi bunka for veggies. Yoshikane 180 bunka white#2 black ku course Nashiji finish. It's all carbon. Cuts great and sharp as hell. Have not had to sharpen it yet either. But I am just a home cook. I got the bunka at clean cut.

I have a Yoshi k-tip 210mm hammered SKD from Epic Edge. It’s very thin and light, around 140g. Definitely laserish if not an outright laser (I don’t have a commonly acknowledged laser like a Shibata or Takamura to compare). Cutting feel is similar to my Kurosaki AS, although the Yoshi feels more delicate overall and the edge certainly is delicate. F&F is fine for the price range, the spine and choil are rounded and no complaints about the handle. The long flat spot suits my cutting style, but some people hate it.

I’ve seen different comments on the Yoshi Amekiri from JNS - some say it’s even thinner than the EE version, others say it’s thicker. Purely based on weight it’s heavier, but a chunk of that difference is likely due to the handle JNS handle. JNS also has the Hatsukokoro-sourced Yoshis now to help meet demand, apparently made to match Yoshi’s specs exactly.

i had the Amekiri white steel and sold it for nashiji SKD( Hatsukokoro ). both top F&F.

i think the skd is the way to go. take a great edge and very easy to care.

the EE hammered version is a bit thicker according to reports, also comes with more basic handle.

youve asked around for like 100 different things I suggest you decide what it is you actually want then the right knife will reveal itself.

all the Yoshis are fine and more similar than they are different.

I would not put them in the first or second tier of knives Ive owned but what does that mean other than I value other things?

I have the Ai and Om SKD tsuchime 210GT. It's a fantastic cutter. This spec was a lower price, it had the basic d handle (which is comfy and well polished... just basic) and a bit of a rougher choil. I ended up easing and polishing the choil as well as installing a konosuke ebony+laurel handle on mine to bring it to the next level.

I heard Ai and Om has ordered some, but the wait might still be years.

I actually picked up an Ameriki 240 SKD and it seemed to have a much more flat back profile than the knife roll W2 240 I just got off BST. I do think there are slight differences for sure. Literally my only two gripes with Yoshikane gyutos is their lack of height (A 240 is going to be 49mm-50mm no matter where you go and what steel they use), and the extremely flat back/heel profile that leads to awkward board work. This of course could be sharpening out slightly but I just wish he would throw a slight upright kick for the last 2-3cm and it would make a work of difference in the board work for the majority of folks.

youve asked around for like 100 different things I suggest you decide what it is you actually want then the right knife will reveal itself.

Pretty harsh. If I lived in an area of the world where I could actually see a few blue Gyuto in person, my Gehei and Heiji answers would be obvious and perhaps I would understand the differences better when I read conflicting statements from people I respect and would see the differences in their use and how that shades their views. Laser versus workhorse is basically a similar situation with experience only with a laser and various German-themed knives. And yes, I intend to get a "blue workhorse" but, before I pull the trigger this is a knife line I wanted to explore a little before I spend my money.

For what I am doing, I have read something like this is midway between a laser and a workhorse so, it might be a better option for me. Whether I get a Santoku or small Gyuto is a different discussion for different uses and a different day when I have some experience with something other than my laser Gyuto. My considerations there (Santoku or small Gyuto) are mainly not significantly overlapping knife purchases

I'm an unabashed Yoshi fan. To me they feel like they were made for me and for that I consider them the "best" off the shelf knife available.

As noted, I've commented in the past that I don't like the dimpled version offered by EE. "Piggish" was not my word but it fit. Bear in mind this was based on an example from 3 - 5 years ago.

I have a "Zensho" 210 from Maxim that I like a lot. Had a western handled 240, also from Maxim, that I lost in a loan - would give someone's left nut to replace it. Bought a 240 Kashima from Clean Cut that was close to perfect, then a white Amekiri from K&S that replaced it. Most recently bought the CKC SKD variant from BST. By a slight margin it may be the best of the bunch (to me). Laying around I have a V2 honesuki (a joy to use and sharpen) and a hunting knife that will turn a deer inside out in a minute.

Shopping for one, I'll suggest K&S, CKC, CC, Knife Roll and I would try EE again.

I actually picked up an Ameriki 240 SKD and it seemed to have a much more flat back profile than the knife roll W2 240 I just got off BST. I do think there are slight differences for sure. Literally my only two gripes with Yoshikane gyutos is their lack of height (A 240 is going to be 49mm-50mm no matter where you go and what steel they use), and the extremely flat back/heel profile that leads to awkward board work. This of course could be sharpening out slightly but I just wish he would throw a slight upright kick for the last 2-3cm and it would make a work of difference in the board work for the majority of folks.
I saw @Hz_zzzzzz posted a link few days ago, there is 55mm taller version of Yoshikane.
https://www.thesharpcook.com/product/yoshikane-skd-nashiji-kiritsuke-240mm/

Yoshi height:

When I got into this nonsense, using a suji on the board like a gyuto was the fad de jour and small makers were offering gyuhiki that were wellreceived. The only major maker offering "tall" gyuto was Takeda. Yoshi was cranking out 48 - 50mm 240s.

10 years later 55mm and more are the fad and widely available while Yoshi is still cranking out 48 - 50s.

If you like a taller knife, or one that's not flat, you'll be well served to look for another. Classics (hopefully) don't need to change.

I saw @Hz_zzzzzz posted a link few days ago, there is 55mm taller version of Yoshikane.
https://www.thesharpcook.com/product/yoshikane-skd-nashiji-kiritsuke-240mm/

Wild, I wish it wasn't a k tip!

Ya know, I picked up an EE Yoshi SKD 180 Santoku and the heel height on that thing is like 57mm!

To be honest I don't really mind a 50mm 240, but after a couple of years and sharpenings it is no longer 50mm tall and anything shorter starts to become undesired for me.

Pretty harsh.

if you dont have a set of clear criteria for what you want, the likelihood you'll be happy when you buy something is fairly low.

Im suggesting you have questions you need to answer before you start asking for specifics, because what happens around here if you're not super explicit is people just post what they like without much consideration.

I do, for what it's worth, understand how I come off sometimes, but the thing is I actually care here if you get something that makes you happy, because if I were asking for advice Id rather have someone tell me something useful, than tell me something that makes me feel good.

Wild, I wish it wasn't a k tip!

Ya know, I picked up an EE Yoshi SKD 180 Santoku and the heel height on that thing is like 57mm!

To be honest I don't really mind a 50mm 240, but after a couple of years and sharpenings it is no longer 50mm tall and anything shorter starts to become undesired for me.

That was the dimpled version of the Santoku that was 57mm tall? That would certainly tempt me if I was looking to buy a Santoku/short Gyuto.

K-tip Gyuto certainly seem trendy today and I am unsure why. Maybe I'm just old school but, that sharply pointed tip looks fragile to me.

That was the dimpled version of the Santoku that was 57mm tall? That would certainly tempt me if I was looking to buy a Santoku/short Gyuto.

K-tip Gyuto certainly seem trendy today and I am unsure why. Maybe I'm just old school but, that sharply pointed tip looks fragile to me.

Correct! Although I might have some how ended up with an outlier possibly. As the heel height listed on EE is 2.0" which is right at like 50mm.

https://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=91653
I lied though, I actually just measured mine and it's right at 55.5mm after one full sharpening progression. Still though, it's quite tall and I enjoy using it quite a lot.

I have mixed feelings looking at the Kiritsuke version but, I have never held one in my hands and realize Internet pictures can be misleading. At 404 Euros (not sure if that includes VAT or not for a shipment to the USA), it is a bit spendy for me today.
Yeah, I heard Yoshikane’s price are going up this or next year, we probably won’t see any 300 ish(240mm) Yoshikane anymore at some Yoshikane Vendors in the near future.

if you dont have a set of clear criteria for what you want, the likelihood you'll be happy when you buy something is fairly low.

Im suggesting you have questions you need to answer before you start asking for specifics, because what happens around here if you're not super explicit is people just post what they like without much consideration.

I do, for what it's worth, understand how I come off sometimes, but the thing is I actually care here if you get something that makes you happy, because if I were asking for advice Id rather have someone tell me something useful, than tell me something that makes me feel good.

Without facial expression and tone of voice, the written word in forums like this can be misinterpreted. If that's me, I apologize.

I do appreciate your desire to make sure I get something that makes me happy and serves its intended purpose. I have been trying to include more sweet potatoes in my diet but, the frustration and haphazard results of cutting them make it hard for me to buy one at the store. Baked and I aren't a good pairing so, I try to include them in soups, stews, side dishes and, similar. Carrot quality for me is all over the place but, typically they come out of the fridge to the cutting board and either "FLY" off or basically shatter as I cut them. I also want a knife with a bit more spine to whack if I need to encourage it through a tough sweet potatoe so I won't hurt the palm of my hand. A little more weight would be helpful too.

Without facial expression and tone of voice, the written word in forums like this can be misinterpreted. If that's me, I apologize.

I do appreciate your desire to make sure I get something that makes me happy and serves its intended purpose. I have been trying to include more sweet potatoes in my diet but, the frustration and haphazard results of cutting them make it hard for me to buy one at the store. Baked and I aren't a good pairing so, I try to include them in soups, stews, side dishes and, similar. Carrot quality for me is all over the place but, typically they come out of the fridge to the cutting board and either "FLY" off or basically shatter as I cut them. I also want a knife with a bit more spine to whack if I need to encourage it through a tough sweet potatoe so I won't hurt the palm of my hand. A little more weight would be helpful too.

Id just get a nakiri, or something really thin like a Hitohira GR 210 (which is a HUGE knife for a 210, like basically 240 size), which is nakiri thin. needs some cleanup work but hard to complain for the price.

I mean this is assuming that you just want to solve the specific problem of cutting up vegetables to improve your diet, though I found the GR fine as a general purpose knife.

I'm an unabashed Yoshi fan. To me they feel like they were made for me and for that I consider them the "best" off the shelf knife available.

As noted, I've commented in the past that I don't like the dimpled version offered by EE. "Piggish" was not my word but it fit. Bear in mind this was based on an example from 3 - 5 years ago.

I have a "Zensho" 210 from Maxim that I like a lot. Had a western handled 240, also from Maxim, that I lost in a loan - would give someone's left nut to replace it. Bought a 240 Kashima from Clean Cut that was close to perfect, then a white Amekiri from K&S that replaced it. Most recently bought the CKC SKD variant from BST. By a slight margin it may be the best of the bunch (to me). Laying around I have a V2 honesuki (a joy to use and sharpen) and a hunting knife that will turn a deer inside out in a minute.

Shopping for one, I'll suggest K&S, CKC, CC, Knife Roll and I would try EE again.
What does piggish mean in this context?

What does piggish mean in this context?

Likely not applicable to the current version. Mine (purchased this year) weighs in around 140g in a 210 k-tip, most definitely in the lightweight category and with a very thin grind.

To the OP, if you’re looking for a midweight then Yoshi probably isn’t it.

"Piggish" to me would be the opposite of nimble. I don't mind a heavy knife as long as it's well balanced. My recollection is that EE hammered was not nimble, it was thick, probably even wedge. But again, this data point was 3 - 5 years ago.

IMO the Yoshi variants from K&S, CKC, CC, are light midweights that are exceptionally thin behind the edge. The food release is sweet and no one will confuse them with a laser.

The hammered 210 I got this year feels almost exactly like the nashiji 240 I got around the same time. Neither is chunky in my mind. FWIW, I love my The.9nine workhorse, but even I have to admit it's thick enough where it counts that it can wedge. Grind looks like it's in the same ballpark as heiji. Yoshi is noticeably easier to get through roots.

Hammered finish is uglier, nashiji is a little slipperier to hold onto. Epic edge, Carbon, K&S, Ryky all sell Yoshi.

It's worth pulling the trigger on a promising sounding brand to get some hands on experience. You can resell here when you're ready to move on.

Here's both in soaked carrots.

Last edited:
I'm gonna give an extra shout out to Knives&Stones, like a lot of vendors they put the handles on the knives they sell themselves before shipping. They do a wonderful job in this area. I've ordered a lot of knives, including Yoshikanes from other retailers, where the handles need to be immediately sanded and oiled. While that is not a big deal, it is nice to get an almost perfect knife OOTB.

I have a 210 SKD from EE and formerly had a 240 white #2 from K&S. Grinds felt similar across both, arguably a little better on the 240 thanks to extra height. Certainly the EE one is no slouch. It's about 125g so firmly on the thin middleweight end of the spectrum. I ended up selling the 240 because the heavy handle didn't work for me and I had more 240s at the time than I could justify, but I sort of regret not hanging onto it and swapping out the handle. IMO the nashiji finish looks cooler than the hammered one.

The EE k tip Yoshi I showed in my video in your other thread was 51mm tall although it’s just a 210. I got it this year and it’s as thin bte if not thinner than the 240 najishi gyuto I got from KnS last year. I recommended it over other Yoshi options to you because it’s within your budget and it’s even a little taller than a regular Yoshi 240. I removed 1mm height near the heel to make the profile less dead flat and it’s still 50 mm. Very good value IMO. I use my 210 ktip more often than my 240 yoshi black dammy SLD.

If EE still has the 240 k-tip in stock I would get that one as I think it’s gonna be 53-55 tall, but unfortunately it’s out of stock forever. KnS NY told me they might get some 240 ktip in the future but there’s no date yet.

I managed to find a 240 SKD that's on it's way. I have a Tsoursan 240 WH that I just don't seem to use so I'm hoping that the Yoshi will be a good middle-of-the road gyuto that is still work-horse like that I can beat on daily.

Back