Quantcast

WTB Yoshikane honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

captaincaed

Reaction score
I'm dissatisfied with the chicken knife I've been using for the last few years (Moritaka) - the steel is fine but the double bevel isn't working for me anymore. I really like the Yoshikane version profile, love the maker and the steel, so I'm casting a net to see if anyone's got one they'd part with.

They seem to sell for $200-220 used here. I'm happy to pay a bit over that to make it worth your while as long as the grind and profile aren't totally gorked. Thanks for looking!

Here's an example I blatantly stole from an old ad.
1600659092468.png

daveb

Staff member
Administrator
Global Moderators
Reaction score
Not a Yoshi but Martell has a nice looking Wat for sale under Stefan's knives.

captaincaed

Reaction score
Good tip thanks
Edit: I'm going to pass due to rust. I'm about to get sunk back into school, and won't have much time for project work.

Last edited:

refcast

Reaction score
There's a kochi honesuki that has the really tall heel. But the tip isn't as narrow. It also has machi. JKI could probably drop the angled spine a bit more or something. . . But it seems kinda symmetric. I mention it cause it seems somewhat similar.

captaincaed

Reaction score
That's a great tip, thank you (no pun intended). I've looked at this, and absolutely love Kochi. I'm hesitant due to the symmetry like you mentioned, and the very thin grind. No as good for going through joints, but maybe I can do the deba heel bevel trick to make it thicker there.

captaincaed

Reaction score
Oh man that's a great little set. Heiji, Yoshi, Shig?
Come on, how many chickens can you break down at once. Let the Yoshi go, you'll feel better...

lumo

Reaction score
Oh man that's a great little set. Heiji, Yoshi, Shig?
Come on, how many chickens can you break down at once. Let the Yoshi go, you'll feel better...
I'm not quite ready to let the Yoshi go but you have dibs when I do. It's the profile but I do prefer the steel on the other two, so nice to sharpen...the burnt chestnut helps as well.

Reactions: ian

captaincaed

Reaction score
Burnt chestnut for greasy chicken is #1. The Masashi handles are the grippiest I've ever seen, I wish he made a chicken knife!
Hey how is the Heiji, is it chippy at all? I know the single bevels may not be super for boning tasks, but that one seems a bit robust.

ian

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey how is the Heiji, is it chippy at all? I know the single bevels may not be super for boning tasks, but that one seems a bit robust.
I have a 150 Heiji honesuki, and it has never microchipped. That said, I don’t really push it through rib bones or anything.

lumo

Reaction score
This one is carbon and I don't find it chippy at all. I do prefer a taller heel though.

refcast

Reaction score
Kinda offshoot, but maybe ask Michael at KnifeJapan? He's a white guy in Japan and has great customer service with contacting makers and shops, maybe he can find something, though he tends not to deal with Sanjo knives, he does. This is based on my dealings with him.