Yoshikane v Mac v Takayuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just another point about the Takedas, not to belabor this, but I think the possible drawbacks are overstated, in my experience. The first thing I cut with my gyuto was a chunk of crusty bread, and the super sharp edge did chip, although it was small. I sharpened it out and it has not chipped again in the last year. Mine has a stable finish that has held up very well, and I don't have to sharpen it unless I get bored. For all of the uses that a home cook puts a knife to I have not encountered anything that this knife does not excel at, with the possible exception of crusty bread unless a microbevel is added.
And as for carbon being tough to maintain, with casual wiping during use I don't see a problem.
YMMV, of course, but I doubt it.

I will buy a couple knives then and post my experiences and results when they come in. Thanks for all the help and insight everyone.

Hanging "fungible" into a kitchen knife thread and disillusioned about "meaningful dialogue".

:stinker:

dang I thought it had something to do with how well it cut mushrooms

I am no knife technician. While I know how to use a waterstone set very well, I can also say I am no pro-sharpener, maintainer, etc. Money is not really a problem in any degree, but time is not something I'm willing to commit to drastically. I do not want to have to sharpen this knife once a week. Once every month is fine.
FYI, it takes a 5 min touch up every couple of weeks for a heavy home use knife to maintain top cutting performance. It takes a lot longer than that to ship a knife, lol.

FYI, it takes a 5 min touch up every couple of weeks for a heavy home use knife to maintain top cutting performance. It takes a lot longer than that to ship a knife, lol.

+1. A very enthusiastic +1.

Look Chris, if you can sharpen tools and pocket knives to the Norton 8K level, you can learn to sharpen kitchen knives with a little bit of -- not too steep -- learning curve. It will require some learning, and Nortons aren't necessarily the best choice for kitchen knives, but if you can already sharpen it doesn't make much sense for you to send your knives out unless you need something very special done.

Also, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me for you to buy a bunch of different knives to find one really good gyuto. For one thing, not only is there no one best knife for everyone, there's not even one best knife for you. With a little bit of dialogue we should be able to narrow down the universe of excellent choices to a small number from which you can more or less randomly choose something which will suit you extremely well.

With some idea of what suits and doesn't suit you, we should be able to come up with a few good choices you can choose between. For instance:
  • It's difficult -- perhaps impossible -- to come up with a better choice than the Masamoto KS if you can live with carbon's neediness.
  • If you don't want a carbon blade, but are sufficiently interested in improving your technique enough to work on keeping your knife square to the cut, one of the stainless or semi-stainless "laser" wa-gyutos should suit.
  • Etc., etc., etc.

BDL

Back