Quantcast

Yoshikane white#2 or Tanaka white#2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

julius777

Reaction score
Hello, not currently looking for a knife. Just want to hear your thoughts on both of these knives if any of you have any experience on both. Since I'm rather new to knives, I have never used any from both blacksmiths but have been reading alot of good things about them. How do they compare and what would you all recommend if i were to try? Thanks!

M1k3

Aiyeh
Reaction score
Do you like a flatter or gently curved profile?

McMan

Reaction score
Both are good knives. @M1k3 is asking about your tastes in profile because Tanaka has a radius profile (rounder) and Yoshikane has a profile with flat spot. If it's my money, it'd be Yoshikane.

julius777

Reaction score
Both are good knives. @M1k3 is asking about your tastes in profile because Tanaka has a radius profile (rounder) and Yoshikane has a profile with flat spot. If it's my money, it'd be Yoshikane.
Thanks.
The thing is, I dont even know such things such as profiles exist until I read it on this forum. If we're talking about cutting styles usually do a rocking style motion but would switch up to a chopping motion if I'm using a chinese cleaver. Sorry @M1k3 if this wasn't helpful as well.

JimMaple98

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love My Yoshikane white 2 but if you rock more the Tanaka has a more raised tip to allow for you lifting higher while maintaining contact with the board. You can still do it with a Yoshikane just not as well I believe

msk

Reaction score
Like others have said, the Yoshikane is amazing but it is a very flat profile. Great for push cutting, not the most graceful for rock chopping. If you usually rock chop as you say, then probably go for the Tanaka.

timebard

Reaction score
I haven't seen any Shigeki Tanaka white #2 offerings, is this a new line or referring to Y. Tanaka?

Can't comment on either of the exact knives in question here, but based on my Yoshikane SKD I can confirm that the profile is very flat and not well suited to rocking. Even as a push cutter/chopper it took me a bit of time to get used to.

julius777

Reaction score
I haven't seen any Shigeki Tanaka white #2 offerings, is this a new line or referring to Y. Tanaka?

Can't comment on either of the exact knives in question here, but based on my Yoshikane SKD I can confirm that the profile is very flat and not well suited to rocking. Even as a push cutter/chopper it took me a bit of time to get used to.
I see. Sorry i wasn't being clear enough. Was referring to Yoshikazu Tanaka.

ma_sha1

Reaction score
Do you care about heel height?

Yoshikane cuts really well but generally has low heel height, the reason I sold mine. So that’s something to consider as well.

julius777

Reaction score
Do you care about heel height?

Yoshikane cuts really well but generally has low heel height, the reason I sold mine. So that’s something to consider as well.
Not really, never really noticed it until now but I would switch up my grip depending on the knife I'm using. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Latest posts