Yoshikane white#2 or Tanaka white#2

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

julius777

Reaction score
Hello, not currently looking for a knife. Just want to hear your thoughts on both of these knives if any of you have any experience on both. Since I'm rather new to knives, I have never used any from both blacksmiths but have been reading alot of good things about them. How do they compare and what would you all recommend if i were to try? Thanks!

Both are good knives. @M1k3 is asking about your tastes in profile because Tanaka has a radius profile (rounder) and Yoshikane has a profile with flat spot. If it's my money, it'd be Yoshikane.

Both are good knives. @M1k3 is asking about your tastes in profile because Tanaka has a radius profile (rounder) and Yoshikane has a profile with flat spot. If it's my money, it'd be Yoshikane.
Thanks.
The thing is, I dont even know such things such as profiles exist until I read it on this forum. If we're talking about cutting styles usually do a rocking style motion but would switch up to a chopping motion if I'm using a chinese cleaver. Sorry @M1k3 if this wasn't helpful as well.

I love My Yoshikane white 2 but if you rock more the Tanaka has a more raised tip to allow for you lifting higher while maintaining contact with the board. You can still do it with a Yoshikane just not as well I believe

Like others have said, the Yoshikane is amazing but it is a very flat profile. Great for push cutting, not the most graceful for rock chopping. If you usually rock chop as you say, then probably go for the Tanaka.

I haven't seen any Shigeki Tanaka white #2 offerings, is this a new line or referring to Y. Tanaka?

Can't comment on either of the exact knives in question here, but based on my Yoshikane SKD I can confirm that the profile is very flat and not well suited to rocking. Even as a push cutter/chopper it took me a bit of time to get used to.

I haven't seen any Shigeki Tanaka white #2 offerings, is this a new line or referring to Y. Tanaka?

Can't comment on either of the exact knives in question here, but based on my Yoshikane SKD I can confirm that the profile is very flat and not well suited to rocking. Even as a push cutter/chopper it took me a bit of time to get used to.
I see. Sorry i wasn't being clear enough. Was referring to Yoshikazu Tanaka.

Do you care about heel height?

Yoshikane cuts really well but generally has low heel height, the reason I sold mine. So that’s something to consider as well.

Do you care about heel height?

Yoshikane cuts really well but generally has low heel height, the reason I sold mine. So that’s something to consider as well.
Not really, never really noticed it until now but I would switch up my grip depending on the knife I'm using. I'll keep that in mind. Thanks

Back