• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTS Yoshikazu Ikeda, Hinoura, JNS Mazaki gyutos and Sakai usuba

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Decided to reduce my collection and sell some of my current knives, although I like all of them a lot, but I simply don’t need so many knives being just a home cook and also eventually want to try some new ones. All prices are listed including shipping, I will cover shipping up to 20 USD which is for instance a standard insured shipping to USA, should there be a difference, the buyer pays the rest.

Yoshikazu Ikeda Blue #1 gyuto – 227 mm at the edge, 51 mm at the heel, weight was 220 g when it was new, so it should still be the same, balance point about 2 cm in front of the heel. This was a custom order through a Japanese vendor, Ikeda doesn’t make any Blue 1 non-damascus knives standardly. Sharpened by Kasahara, there is a super beautiful distal taper and the knife feels super comfortably even with the quite huge handle it came with, at least to me. Lightly used at home, no significant grind alterations, I just polished the area behind the edge with some fine naturals once and that’s it. Will miss this one a lot as it is a super beautiful knife and I had to wait for it a long time, but I just decided to let it go to try some new toys.

Asking 470 USD shipped, link to the gallery of the knife is here, the current photos are at the end of it: https://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes.cz/Yoshikazu_Ikeda_24_cm_Blue_1_gyuto/

Hinoura Ajikataya 240 mm gyuto – 248 mm at the edge, height 53,5 mm, weight 208 g, if I remember correctly (I am pretty sure I do), don’t have a scale at home currently, balance point about 3,5 cm in front of the heel. Bought from Cleancut some time ago, very lightly used in a home environment, sharpened once starting on a 1k stone, otherwise just refreshed using fine JNATs. I totally love the HT of Hinoura on the Shirogami #2, together with Munetoshi its the best Shiro #2 HT I have ever tried (I will probably get a Hinoura hakata instead of this one), the knife is, as can be easily deduced from the choil shot, a great cutter.

Asking 255 USD shipped, link to the gallery of the knife (OOTB) is here, the current photos are at the end of it: https://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes.cz/Hinoura_Ajikataya_240_mm_White_2_gyuto_2/

JNS Mazaki 240 mm gyuto – 245 mm at the edge, 52,5 mm at the heel, weight unknown, as I don’t have a scale, but it is, I guess, somewhere around 230-240 g with the new walnut handle, made by my friend Matus (the same nick on KKF), balance point is about 2,5 cm in front of the heel. Very light use in a home kitchen, sharpened once or twice starting with 1k grit, otherwise just refreshed with fine JNATs. No grind alterations, I just made some sandpaper progression up to 2000 grit two or three times, trying to get off the scratches which were there OOTB, but one would probably need to start with a really rough one to get all of them off as some of them were really deep and are still visible, with a bit detailed look. But its just cosmetics, the finish of the blade is definitely much better than of any usual JNS Mazaki which all do come with quite terrible scratches, as far as I know...

As for the handle colour, check the detailed pictures of it in the gallery, it appears slightly darker on most of the other pictures...The knife is nicely thin behind the edge (which is definitely not a rule in Mazaki knives, as I know from some of my knife friends) and cuts really well.

Asking 300 USD shipped, link to the gallery of the knife is here:
https://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes...yuto_with_a_walnut_handle_from_Matus_Kalisky/

Sakai Kyōmitsu oldstock 195 mm Aogami kamagata usuba - 195 mm at the edge, height is 47 mm, weight is 200 g. I bought it from a friend who has some contacts in Sakai, it should be about 40 years old, maker is unknown, the steel is Aogami, without closer specification. I originally intended to use it for "playing" with naturals, but its a little too nice for it (but one example of the results may be found at the end of the gallery) and I also want every single knife to be used and unfortunately, I don't find any reasonable work for this one in the kitchen, among all my gyutos, so that's the reason why I am letting it go. Quite cool and nicely made knife, in my opinion, its in great condition, I did some work only on flattening the kireha (which is 95% done, with about two very shallow low spots left), ura is basically untouched.

Asking 310 USD shipped, link to the gallery of the knife is here, the photos at the end of the gallery are those of the current surface condition: https://rhamphorhynchus.rajce.idnes.cz/Sakai_Kyomitsu_oldstock_195_mm_Aogami_kamagata_usuba

Last edited:
Yes, they are, I live in Prague, Czech Republic...And I should also mention that I prefer money over trades, but should you have something interesting, don't hesitate to let me know...

If anyone should feel on the edge, then let me say that I know Krakorak personally and you can buy from him with confidence.

Ahoj,

I have some questions about the Ikeda: the knife can be seen in one of the pics with an identical knife of the same dimensions, has been used, has shown some very nice patina, which you have cleaned off again? Did you keep the other one?

Díky moc for the clarifications!

Ahoj,

I have some questions about the Ikeda: the knife can be seen in one of the pics with an identical knife of the same dimensions, has been used, has shown some very nice patina, which you have cleaned off again? Did you keep the other one?

Díky moc for the clarifications!

Ahoj :)...Yes, I ordered two identical knives that time (OK, they were finally not 100% identical, the other one was slightly thinner and lighter), one for me and the other one for a friend of mine, he sold it to another KKF member, but "unoficially", so not within a WTS thread...

And yes, I have cleaned the patina before taking the actual photos of the knife, using sandstone progression up to 2000...Should you have any other questions, let me know :)!

FWIW, my Ikeda B#1 is 225/52 but it weighs only 170g!!! So, apparently there is some significant variation out there... Would have loved to test drive the 2 against each other!

FWIW, my Ikeda B#1 is 225/52 but it weighs only 170g!!! So, apparently there is some significant variation out there... Would have loved to test drive the 2 against each other!
I can remember that Carlos (aka valgard) also got a Blue 1 gyuto from the same guy which was much lighter than mine and significantly differed also in some other parameters (much less pronounced distal taper, etc.), so obviously has been sharpened by another sharpener...

Back