Yoshikazu Ikeda knives - anyone has experience with them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cleancut for those outside the EU has the best prices on the Ikeda's

Measurements of Shigehiro:
Weight - 192g
Height at heel - 48mm
Spine thickness above heel - 3.8mm
Spine thickness between handle and tip - 2.5mm
Spine thickness near tip - 1.5mm

I've handled some of the knives from Bernal Cutlery which is the same as the cleancut line (to my knowledge) and it definitely not that thick above the heel. I would guestimate weight is around 190-210grams but with a ebony handle so I think the blade would be probably 10-25 grams lighter. Though it has been noted that the Shigehiro handles are relatively heavy as well.

Cleancut for those outside the EU has the best prices on the Ikeda's

Measurements of Shigehiro:
Weight - 192g
Height at heel - 48mm
Spine thickness above heel - 3.8mm
Spine thickness between handle and tip - 2.5mm
Spine thickness near tip - 1.5mm

I've handled some of the knives from Bernal Cutlery which is the same as the cleancut line (to my knowledge) and it definitely not that thick above the heel. I would guestimate weight is around 190-210grams but with a ebony handle so I think the blade would be probably 10-25 grams lighter. Though it has been noted that the Shigehiro handles are relatively heavy as well.

Do you think epicurean edge carries the same knife as clear cut and bernal? I was ready to pull the trigger on a 240mm shigehiro from buttermilk but they just sold out like a week ago. Now I'm deciding between either a 270mm shigehiro or an ikeda from somewhere else.
Those yoshikanes at clear cut are pretty nice looking too.

Bernal has a 240 in stock apparently, the pricepoint is roughly that os a shig or a kato or by beloved Devin ITK, is it worth that much??

Do you think epicurean edge carries the same knife as clear cut and bernal? I was ready to pull the trigger on a 240mm shigehiro from buttermilk but they just sold out like a week ago. Now I'm deciding between either a 270mm shigehiro or an ikeda from somewhere else.
Those yoshikanes at clear cut are pretty nice looking too.

Epicurean Edge and Bernal Cutlery use the same wholesaler for many of their knives including Ikeda's =)

Bernal has a 240 in stock apparently, the pricepoint is roughly that os a shig or a kato or by beloved Devin ITK, is it worth that much??

I would say they are probably worth their price, though the 210mm sumingashi B#1 without a handle can be had from cleancut $285.

Cleancut has some very nice bargains now and then. I got mine W#2 240 Ikeda less then 175$ on after xmas sale. They also gave me 25$ discount for my next purchase because Ikedas ferrule cracked in second day I got it.

Also a note I heard from a Japanese knife dealer I work with also made a note that all of Ikeda-san's work is finished by Kasahara-san.

This is not typical of Sakai as most forgers work with many different shapers/sharpeners.

Its good to know that;-)!

Also a note I heard from a Japanese knife dealer I work with also made a note that all of Ikeda-san's work is finished by Kasahara-san.

This is not typical of Sakai as most forgers work with many different shapers/sharpeners.

thats also not true... we use ikeda-san and have a different sharpener doing the sharpening

thats also not true... we use ikeda-san and have a different sharpener doing the sharpening

+1
In Sakai, you can basically mix & match with a lot of things. This applies to Ikeda-san as well.

I have bought several knives through Inotada Knife Productions. Tomohito san has worked with me on numerous knives that I've ordered. I believe I have a Usuba, honyaki yanagi, and currently awaiting a ginsan suji that are forged by Yoshikazu Ikeda. Everything about the knives are quality. I also have several other amazing knives purchased through Inotada including a 240 blue #1 honyaki gyuto that were made by some of the other smiths, sharpeners and handle makers in Osaka. Very good tools!

Fit and finish are top notch. They are all thin behind the edge for the knife's purpose.

I salivate over the choil shot on buttermilks website almost everyday. Check it out. To be honest my only concern is that the blade may have too much curvature like a konosuke or something similar.

Haha, me too:-D! And as regards the similarity of the profile of Shigehiro knives with Konosuke - the profile of the wide bevel gyuto (sold under the Ichimonji brand) I sent you the link for was basically a copy of Konosuke profile, I have compared it with Kono Fujiyama Blue 2 gyuto side by side and it was pretty much the same...

Hmmm, that's interesting! I got the suspicion that some of your high end knives might possibly be done by Ikeda-san already several weeks ago (due to similarity of profiles) when I started to collect as many information about his knives as possible, so its nice to know that it might be true (although, of course, I still may be completely wrong in terms of WHICH particular knives he makes for you; but there are in my opinion not many candidates...)

for what its worth, profile is also greatly influenced by the sharpener. I think telling the blacksmith from profile would be rather difficult. Its much easier to tell from marks, sharpening, and tang shape/style than i find it to be by profile.

for what its worth, profile is also greatly influenced by the sharpener. I think telling the blacksmith from profile would be rather difficult. Its much easier to tell from marks, sharpening, and tang shape/style than i find it to be by profile.

Yeah, I know that it probably isn't so straightforward, that's the reason why I mentioned that I still might be completely wrong:)..But there was simply one moment during my "hunt" after all possible information about the Ikeda-san knives when I browsed through Jon's site and, suddenly, something "hit" me into the eyes or how to say it:)..simply a moment when I realized that there is a distinct similarity between those high-end blades on Jon's site and some Ikeda blades...Was nothing but a feeling for quite a long time, all the more interesting is for me now the information that it indeed might be true!

I salivate over the choil shot on buttermilks website almost everyday. Check it out. To be honest my only concern is that the blade may have too much curvature like a konosuke or something similar.

This one?

shigehiro240gyuto4.jpg

Back