Yoshikazu Ikeda knives - anyone has experience with them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ditto. Be interesting to see which brands he does high-end OEM work for.
I know he does (or did) some of the honyaki knives for Nenohi. Other than that I'm not very familiar with his work; only his reputation and his position as the head of the Master Craftsmen Association.

Well this is also Ikeda san's work :D I need one! ImageUploadedByKitchen Knife Forum1467729201.429331.jpg

i got one yanagi from nenox!it is forge d by yoshikazu ikeda!it is mizu honyaki shiro#1 yanagi!it is very cool!now he makes knife for nenox and suisin!he make less knives for his brand!

So to be clear, this nakiri:

http://www.epicedge.com/shopexd.asp?id=93396

is his work? Stunning as that gyuto at Buttermilk is, it's out of stock, and the equivalent at EE is almost $40. Further, I've been wanting to try a nakiri (or usuba, but that's a different question) ever since seeing DamageInc's (I think it was his) 11-minute youtube of prepping a bunch of veggies with one. And it'd be a fun way to try white steel. :) So, is the consensus that this would be a good nakiri with a good, consistent grind, or would something else be a better option?

Look here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BHi-xQeB9EK/?tagged=yoshikazuikeda

It seems to be out of stock already, I couldn't find it on their webpage, but Bernalcutlery has a 15%-25% discount on all Shirogami knives in July (15% on Ikeda Shirogami knives), so maybe you will find there something else you will like and for a great price...And Josh from BC gets knives from Ikeda quite often, so maybe its a good idea to ask him, if you are interested only in nakiri...

I just thought id mention we get 10% off at epic edge and its a 180mm vs 165mm. It also comes with a saya. I have 0 issue saying ikeda is an upper level smith. I have a honyaki mukimono and honyaki yanagiba on order from him now. When my babies arrive ill let everyone know how they perform.

Ordered.

Y'all are enablers and bad influences. All of you! :justkidding:

Hi! Also ordered a 180mm Shiro Santoku from Cleancut.
Couldn't resist it somehow and for an EU guy its a super offer.

heres a coilshot of it send to me from cleancut
hYEQrc8.jpg

Ill put up more pics and stuff once its here.
Seeya, daniel! ;)

ahh one more ;) made a side by side comparison with the picture on their site (with super highend NASA screenshot techniques) .. and well seems to be a little thinner one than the photo on the site .. i asked them to get me the coolest one .. well actually the thinnest and coolest one.. nice!
http://imgur.com/oWFd9GN

Ah thanks Iggy... well ups allready send you the pics with mail by the way ;)
Well ill see how it will do... a "post-laser-age" Knife with super simple understatement look looked thrilling.

And i also had to buy me a new knife.. just to buy me a new knife.. no real need for a new knife.. just.. ehmm .. well the "Anonymous Knife Addicts" will know what i mean ;)

Well nearly 100% ...i layed them over in photoshop.
ill see since that thing is coming soon.. best regards to eagle eyes Krakorak ;)

Krakorak is going to get a knife from Ikeda as well (although a bit later than you as it is something like a semi-custom), so he is quite curious what grind he might expect:)...that's the reason why he has probably all the published choil shots of Ikeda knives in his mind:-D (OK, I know, choil shot is not the same as the grind:)...but anyway...)..P.S. Herzliche Grüsse nach Deutschland;-)!

Sometimes Fedex drives me nuts - the knife is HERE IN TOWN AT THE SORT FACILITY but isn't scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. What are they doing today and tomorrow, letting it ripen? :curse:

Sometimes Fedex drives me nuts - the knife is HERE IN TOWN AT THE SORT FACILITY but isn't scheduled for delivery until Wednesday. What are they doing today and tomorrow, letting it ripen? :curse:

Might come early... Hopefully

my knife is coming tomorrow.. its allready in a neigbour city
i guess ill get some carrots and other stuff in my office tomorrow, to try it. ... or even even better.. drive home and test it ;))

@Krakorak: Danke Schön und auch herzlichen Glückwunsch!
i guess we can compare them as soon as they are in our hands ;)

i wanted a workhorse grind and this looks like one ;)

seeya

Might come early... Hopefully

Yep, on truck for delivery today, so at least there's that.

Somehow though, it seems that no matter where I live, everyone always delivers at the end of the day. Blah.

Still better than tomorrow.

Hiho!

Got the knife and seems to be the one on the picture
http://imgur.com/a/k4Ttv

its not super sharp out of the box, but dr ohira will do his work later ;))
its having a good balance and ill givr it some good suffering later

seeya

It's here! I'm a touch salty, though, because it's much closer to 165mm than 180mm unless you include the neck. Is that normal? My 240mm Tanaka is 240mm, heel-to-tip. My girlfriend's 170mm Takamura is 170mm, heel-to-tip. This is almost exactly the same length as that one, in fact.

That said, I won't return it, because it should be enough to find out if I like the nakiri shape. It does mean I might not order from EE or an Ikeda knife without a picture against a ruler to see how long it actually is...

Edit: On the other hand, mine is sharp, so either they sharpened it or I'm too unskilled to know what sharp is (or both).

It's here! I'm a touch salty, though, because it's much closer to 165mm than 180mm unless you include the neck. Is that normal? My 240mm Tanaka is 240mm, heel-to-tip. My girlfriend's 170mm Takamura is 170mm, heel-to-tip. This is almost exactly the same length as that one, in fact.

That said, I won't return it, because it should be enough to find out if I like the nakiri shape. It does mean I might not order from EE or an Ikeda knife without a picture against a ruler to see how long it actually is...

Edit: On the other hand, mine is sharp, so either they sharpened it or I'm too unskilled to know what sharp is (or both).

not just in sakai, but knives with machi are measured from the handle to the tip (so the neck length is included in the stated length)... its been this way for as long as i can remember

not just in sakai, but knives with machi are measured from the handle to the tip (so the neck length is included in the stated length)... its been this way for as long as i can remember

Hmm... well, I'm glad I got the right one then (and 165s would seem very short!), but why is my Tanaka 240mm without the neck? Is it just a little on the long side?

Hiho!

little update on my santoku.
It was not really sharp out of the box (i had trouble cutting any hair on my arm), but thats just perfect for me, since i bought this Shirogami workhorse for grind-erama 3000 action on my stones...

well i was not disappointed :wink: .. full jns 1k, red aoto and 6k and then ohira aka renge suita and ohira ao renge suita and now its cutting awesome!
also cleaned it with nail lacquer remover before and gave it some polishing fleece and used the jnat mud for polishing the sides..
Its just for the first sharpening and i dondt give anything about a super finish.. i can make a nice nail stripe scratch finish anytime if i wreck anything, so it was just first try to get it sharp (because i was hungry and wanted to cook with the new knife ;)) )
the grind i put on it was my favorite convex grind (german "ballig" style without sauerkraut patina) with something between nothing and about 10 degrees woth lots of angle shaking ;) and as much stone contact on the sides as possible.. also a microphase after every stone. looks weird but works awesome for me.

now i am really happy with one of my first workhorse knifes and the weight of 142 gramms on a 180mm santoku is very nice with good balance.
well its not a laser like my rest but thats why i bought it and i like it!

on the rough stones the steel felt really hard!! i needed more force and time than with srs-15 or aogami super stuff.. sharpening it on jnats was very nice of course

also gave the handle some micromesh love and waxing (olive oil beewax wonder stuff i also use on my cuttingboards and on any handle)

its rustic looking the edges were a bit pointed but i love to bevel them with micromesh myself ;)

So made some fotos after the grinding.

you can find much more here (also the pictures from cleancut):
http://imgur.com/a/dqgSK

oUR7iir.jpg

best regards, daniel! definetly a keeper

For the record, I'm a bit cranky about mine - there's a bigass shallow overgrind on the bottom third of the blade's right side. It's not to the level of a hole, I don't think, but the bevel there is extremely small.

You also all suck for making me picky enough to be aware of these things! :angry1:

:justkidding:

I have a 165mm nakiri in shirogami 2, and it is amazing! Sharpening is like running your fingers against silk. Edge can easily get a super refined toothy edge. Feels perfectly balanced in hand. Wish I had more money to get more of us stuff.

Back