Yoshikazu Ikeda knives - anyone has experience with them?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How similar do you guys think the Blue #1 Yoshikazu Ikeda Suminagashi and Mizuno Suminagashi gyutos are?

They look similar in specs and photos, and both are respected master blacksmiths. Yet the price difference is substantial.

How similar do you guys think the Blue #1 Yoshikazu Ikeda Suminagashi and Mizuno Suminagashi gyutos are?

They look similar in specs and photos, and both are respected master blacksmiths. Yet the price difference is substantial.

Judging by the pictures of the Ikeda on Bernal, the choil shot looks different as does the distal taper.

I'm basing this purely on the photos of the Ikeda but I think the Miz has a slightly more continuous distal taper and is slightly thinner overall.

And also I'm certain that the Miz with an ebony handle is slightly lighter

Thanks khashy,

I haven't seen the Mizuno choil shot. I noticed it is 29g lighter; it may very well be because of a difference in distal taper and overall thinness. I wonder if both are iron cladded.

From memory the Mizuno are generally taller and Yoshikasu Ikeda is slightly shorter. Worth checking before buying.

Thanks khashy,

I haven't seen the Mizuno choil shot. I noticed it is 29g lighter; it may very well be because of a difference in distal taper and overall thinness. I wonder if both are iron cladded.

I'll post a choil shot of the Miz so you can compare.

I'll weight it too so you know exactly how heavy it is with an ebony handle

The Miz is iron clad, I suspect so is the Ikeda

Here is the choil shot:

5sK99j4_d.jpg

I couldn't weight it as I could not find where the missus has put the top bit of the weighting scales.

Height at choil: 47.76mm
Spine at choil: 2.67mm
Spine 1cm from tip: 0.89mm

FWIW I think the actual Suminagashi of the Miz is nicer looking, but if our I'm biased.

Let me know if you need any other measurements

Have a real nice Ikeda Honyaki. It was Geshin offering several years ago, I believe an Ittetsu? Real nice Hamon. The only drawback is the handle.

i dont have the suminigashi ikeda but i have around 15 ikeda knives and i love every single one of them so much so i have replaced a lot of my other knives with his offerings.

Back