• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB Yoshikazu Tanaka Blue#1

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lemeneid

Wasabi wabi sabi
Reaction score
Trying to find a Tanaka knife in B#1, any variation is fine, but preferably something more laserish. Fujiyama, Dammy, etc... just want it in full 240mm not Sakai 240

BNIB is preferred but I will consider lightly used ones.

Shoot me your offers.

Weren't the Kono Fujiyama Funayuki Gyutos a true 240mm? Somewhere in the 240-245mm edge range. I think they were a bit thinner than normal Fujis as well, so they might be exactly what you are looking for.

Weren't the Kono Fujiyama Funayuki Gyutos a true 240mm? Somewhere in the 240-245mm edge range. I think they were a bit thinner than normal Fujis as well, so they might be exactly what you are looking for.
Were those made by Tanaka?

Last edited:
Maybe Omega can chime in, but I thought all Fujis, besides Ginsan, are Y. Tanaka.

‘I had one of those for a brief moment. It was a 245 in length and yes they were paper thin and an absolute laser. Was nothing like a Fuji of old. I couldn’t tell you who made it or ground it. I sold it a day after I got it.

I have 240 tsubaya tanaka ku to sell if interested. 230 edge tho

@Bcos17 Oh yo, just seeing this- definitely feel free to @ me next time, so I get an alert for it.

Yes- All san mai Fujiyama, except for the Ginsan, were forged by Yoshikazu Tanaka.
White 1, White 2, Blue 1, Blue 2, Blue Super, and Vintage Carbon / Togo Reigo.
Standard finish, KU, suminagashi, and the FM Fujiyama.
All him.

As for Funayuki-
Bcos is half correct; the original Funayuki from 2014 were Not 240 long. They were the typical 225-230 that Fujiyama gyuto were.
However, the FM Funayuki released in 2019 were much closer to 240-245mm long.

We should draw some distinctions with the Funayuki though:
The first batch (or two) were released back in 2014. These were sharpened by Morihiro, the original Fujiyama sharpener, and were wide bevel. They followed typical dimensions of that timeframe (see the 2014-2015 table in my article), height, length, and width.

The next iteration of them were done in 2019, and were done by the FM Sharpener. These were 240-245 long by 52ish tall, and hamaguri grind. As far as thinness- I think there have been a couple batches, and in the first one he pushed them similar to the FM Blue Super 240 I show pictures of. The next batch was, purposefully, a little thicker.

As far as them being "nothing like Fuji of old"?
Its true the FM Funayuki are not like the 2014 Funayuki.
But as far as being wildly different from all instances of Fujiyama? Individuals saying that must not have much experience with White-steel Fujiyama from 2013 and earlier. They are very alike in that regard, with the sole exception being heel height: 50mm for OG Fujiyama, 52ish mm for FMs.
Working on getting pictures of these for an article update!

So.. as not to completely hijack OPs thread-
Yes, all Fujiyama (except the Ginsan) are forged by Tanaka.
However, finding true-to-length 240 could be Very difficult..
You may want to follow Matus' advice and look for a 270!

Additionally, in the comparison of the Hitohira Tanaka B1 KU vs Fujiyama-
These are NOT done by the same sharpener. Neither Morihiro, nor the FM Sharpener, do the sharpening for this line from Hitohira.
As such, there Are a few difference-
Full disclosure, I have not owned one, but I was able to see a few of them in person while in Japan.
The ones I saw were thicker at the spine, and much less champfered at the spine. Their grind was a little more robust.

So, while I would contend they don't have /as/ good of cutting performance as a true Fujiyama, their increased thickness / stiffness is very confidence inspiring!

For a professional's perspective though, if you have any more specific questions about Fujiyama vs Hitohira Tanaka B1 KU, user Inhuman is the guy to ask. He has hours and hours of board time with both series in question.

I am a Fujiyama fan and I sold my YT Hitohiras as soon as I got them. Way too thick and heavy for my tastes. B1 KU gyutos are coming in stock at CKTG in a few days I believe.

Back