Quantcast

You can only keep 3 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

mlau

Reaction score
FWIW, 99% of my cooking uses:
1. Joe Calton Chinese Cleaver
2. Joe Calton paring knife or a Victorinox paring.

The other 1% is a Tojiro bread knife.

dafox

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Can you post a pic of the cleaver?

IsoJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Would like to see the cleaver 😊

DrEriksson

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, I'm going to go a bit overboard here. As if anyone buying these knives is within the confines of reason.

Top three-knife combo to get most things done at home.
1: Dalman thin cleaver, 185*100
2: Heldqvist smide bunka, 150
3: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224

IMG_1837.jpeg

Top three-knife combo I'd hate to get rid off. Here I'm assuming that I can buy more knives in the future. I don't think I'll be able to replace the Dalmans.
1: Dalman thin cleaver, 185*100
2: Dalman filet knife, 180
3: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224

IMG_1838.jpeg

Top three-knife combo if I was not allowed to have any other knives. The Global will step in as a beater, and also works fine for the rare occasions when I cut bread.
1: Global G2, 200
2: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224 (perhaps the Dalman Cleaver instead)
3: Smedja Aspen petty, 80

IMG_1839.jpeg

Hamso k

Reaction score
I'd choose 3 Takayuki stainless lasers. They're made of soft but tough steel which is how I like it. They're also THIN AF. Like 1.7mm. Worry free for days with those knives.

CiderBear

Reaction score
Alright, after 4-5 months of not buying new knife stuff and not participating on the forums (so more time with my knives and less bias due to hype), my for sure 3 forever knives are:

1. 240mm iron clad Wat gyuto in Blue 2
2. 210mm iron clad Tsubaya Tanaka in Blue 1
3. 180mm iron clad Heiji nakiri in Swedish Carbon

Anything else I own can go tbh (although my husband would beg me to keep the 135mm Ikazuchi petty. Dude has been using it as his steak knife :rolleyes:)

Barmoley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, after 4-5 months of not buying new knife stuff and not participating on the forums (so more time with my knives and less bias due to hype), my for sure 3 forever knives are:

1. 240mm iron clad Wat gyuto in Blue 2
2. 210mm iron clad Tsubaya Tanaka in Blue 1
3. 180mm iron clad Heiji nakiri in Swedish Carbon

Anything else I own can go tbh (although my husband would beg me to keep the 135mm Ikazuchi petty. Dude has been using it as his steak knife :rolleyes:)
Great choices, but you clearly need a suji :LOL:

I am kidding ofcourse, but sometimes I find one useful, but not absolutely necessary by any means.

Barmoley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What if I told you I have a 240mm iron clad Wat suji that I haven't used once since I got it in February or so...
😶
I would tell you 3 things;)

1. Sell it, you clearly don’t need it.
2. You haven’t used it, so you don’t know what you are missing.
3. I’ve tried shorter sujis and as a home cook they don’t make sense to me. Longer ones on the other hand give me something my gyutos don’t without having to deal with a huge and heavy knife. So 270-300 suji is different enough from a 240-250 gyuto to make sense to me In some cases.

daddy yo yo

Reaction score
Seriously, maybe it’s because it’s late, maybe it’s because I’ve had one Negroni too much, but if I could only keep 3 knives I’d keep 3 knives from @KAMON Knives ...

Wait a second! That would mean, I’d have to get rid of 2 Kamon knives... which will never happen! I can clearly and easily see myself sell a lot of fancy stuff, Japanese, Western, you name it, but I will keep my Kamon knives!

Barmoley

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seriously, maybe it’s because it’s late, maybe it’s because I’ve had one Negroni too much, but if I could only keep 3 knives I’d keep 3 knives from @KAMON Knives ...

Wait a second! That would mean, I’d have to get rid of 2 Kamon knives... which will never happen! I can clearly and easily see myself sell a lot of fancy stuff, Japanese, Western, you name it, but I will keep my Kamon knives!
I know in my head what you are saying, but what I am hearing is that you want to sell a bunch of cool knives that you have. I call dibs......:upsidedownspin:

nwshull

Reaction score
1. 240 Tanaka Tsubaya B1 Gyuto, favorite knife
2. Misono Carbon Petty, not my favorite but most versatile small
3. Wusthof 8 inch or Victorinox Fibrox to beat the **** out of things

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Three is the magical number. There are exactly three knives I haven't tuned or sharpened yet. Since I can keep all my equipment... since a peeler is not a knife... and since a small saw could cover what little use I have of a serrated blade... Those would definitely be the three. Beautifully enough they cover what kind of trio would fit me and such circumstances best anyhow.

Matsubara Ginsan 230/56 - low maintenance semi-workhorse. Can withstand enough sharpening to lose a full 10mm and still come out somewhat regular sized.

Takada No Hamono Reika W#2 198/46 - can be looked at like a utility knife/small Gyuto. Higher maintenance means fun. Wouldn't feel right not to retain one carbon steel anyhow. Could also lose a full 10mm and come out purely as a utility knife.

Yoshikane SKD-12 184/54 - low maintenance, flat profile, semi-laser, a perfect companion for the other two, as much as the perfect knife for quick preps. Here again can lose a full 10mm and become a somewhat regular sized Santoku.

IMG_6711.jpg

Edit: admittedly the Matsubara was touched up once.

CiderBear

Reaction score
1. 240 Tanaka Tsubaya B1 Gyuto, favorite knife
2. Misono Carbon Petty, not my favorite but most versatile small
3. Wusthof 8 inch or Victorinox Fibrox to beat the **** out of things
I love my 210mm Tanaka Tsubaya so much I keep trying to find a 240mm one but it looks like Hitohira doesn't have them anymore :(

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love my 210mm Tanaka Tsubaya so much I keep trying to find a 240mm one but it looks like Hitohira doesn't have them anymore :(
No one said you wouldn't have KKF and the BST thread in post-apocalyptic settings. Keep your hopes up. :)

IsoJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I got the Tsubaya 240 little time ago from bst. I thought it is going to be catch and release for me but I really like it 😊

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about turning the knife into the wound... :p

IsoJ

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Talk about turning the knife into the wound... :p
You can see it that way too 😂 but it was more like you can find these second hand too 😊

Edit, or then it was the inner flipper in me talking 😂

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
CiderBear loves that movie. Especially the part at the end where Flipper flips out of the water and gives that 240mm Tanaka Tsubaya to the young heroin.

nwshull

Reaction score
No one said you wouldn't have KKF and the BST thread in post-apocalyptic settings. Keep your hopes up. :)
BST would be a literal fire sale if everyone on here had to part with all but 3 of their knives. Lots of Katos and Shigs from super collectors....

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
But buying power would be limited by the same rule for the end buyer... Riots, chaos and a new world order would ensue. In that new order, we'd be able to have more knives...

Uh, wait, what am I talking about?

ModRQC

Kurouchi Down!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s right thanks...

so yes an australian expedition discovered a cluster of sharks carrying Takamuras under their fins...