You can only keep 3 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1. 240 mm sabatier. mostly because it is unbreakable
2. 120 mm takeo murata sabaki. thinnned it out quite a lot and am loving the heat treat
3. 21o mm sakai takayuki stainless clad blue 2 gyuto. because it is and always be my first Japanese knife

I guess I would keep one of my gyutos (probably my KS), a petty, and my bread knife.

Are those of you that have listed three gyutos taking the thought experiment seriously? Do you not eat crusty bread? I know some people use a gyuto for this task, but I've never tried in part because I would be nervous and in part because there is no need with a serrated bread knife on hand.

I guess I would keep one of my gyutos (probably my KS), a petty, and my bread knife.

Are those of you that have listed three gyutos taking the thought experiment seriously? Do you not eat crusty bread? I know some people use a gyuto for this task, but I've never tried in part because I would be nervous and in part because there is no need with a serrated bread knife on hand.
You can always tear your bread ;-)

You can always tear your bread ;-)

That's exactly my thinking... 1. I don't eat so much bread and 2. There are other ways to separate it... (a more or less tough Gyuto works also fine when you know what you are doing...)

That's why for my it would be these three (cannot upload picture right now..)

Heiji 180 KU Nakiri (for everyday veg prep)

Catcheside 270 SC125 Honyaki Gyuto (for bigger veg and as slicer)

Robust small Acutus Petty (from Uli Hennecke, strongly modified)... a very tough robust workhorse like 130 mm Petty (1.2008 monosteel), which is tough enough for deboning a chicken, versatily enough for fileting as well as sandwich prep and small enough to handle paring/office knife tasks

Regards, Iggy

Probably the following three atm, but i really want to keep one of my vintage german carbon chef knives too :D
sxjns.jpg

Wunderer 180mm Petty in 1.3505 (52100 analogue)
LE 240x50mm Workhorse in 1.2519
Antzenberger 260x62mm in 125SC

what is this LE in the middle? its got a great looking profile...

Without overthinking and rationalizing usefulness (i.e. a suji, boner and petty might would be useful)—the three knives I'm most passionate about right now, that will do kitchen tasks exceptionally well, and beautiful to behold, are:
240 TF Denka Gyuto
225 Raquin KT Gyuto
240 Jiro Gyuto (#53)

If a tsunami was about to hit my apartment, those three would surely be tossed into my 'go bag.' A markedly different three from my answer back in January.

Without overthinking and rationalizing usefulness (i.e. a suji, boner and petty might would be useful)—the three knives I'm most passionate about right now, that will do kitchen tasks exceptionally well, and beautiful to behold, are:
240 TF Denka Gyuto
225 Raquin KT Gyuto
240 Jiro Gyuto (#53)

If a tsunami was about to hit my apartment, those three would surely be tossed into my 'go bag.' A markedly different three from my answer back in January.
pics man, pics!

210 tf denka gyuto
280mm majime suji
220 takeda mioroshi deba

180 Hinoura white #2 santoku
Any decent paring knife (Misono moly, will replace my long lost Gesshin next time I order from JKI)
Bread knife (Richmond, could be anything)

Late to this party.

1. Kono MM Blue #2 240 -my favorite gyuto, mid size, mid weight but cuts almost like a laser.
2. Mac Chef Series 5.5” petty -almost disposable but can do about everything the gyuto can’t including trimming dirt covered veg, butchery, slicing duty...
3. The last knife would be my newest toy, so a Wat 180 nakiri at the moment

1. Kono MM Blue #2 240 -my favorite gyuto, mid size, mid weight but cuts almost like a laser.
2. Mac Chef Series 5.5” petty -almost disposable but can do about everything the gyuto can’t including trimming dirt covered veg, butchery, slicing duty...
3. The last knife would be my newest toy, so a Wat 180 nakiri at the moment
Actually, #3 should be my wife’s 10” Wüsthof classic ...so she doesn’t wreck the MM. ...and I pick it up once in a blue moon to split a chicken breastbone or chop nuts

OK, so I read the OP a little differently from everyone. It says what three would you not sell, not what three knife rotation would work best. So, of the knives I have, the ones that I've bonded with most have been:

270 KS
270 Wat iron clad KU
240 Mazaki W2 Kasumi from JNS

If I had to live on three knives only? That's a toughie. Likely the KS, any decent paring knife (I have a Mac), and stainless Ginga 210 Petty).

OK, so I read the OP a little differently from everyone. It says what three would you not sell, not what three knife rotation would work best. So, of the knives I have, the ones that I've bonded with most have been:

270 KS
270 Wat iron clad KU
240 Mazaki W2 Kasumi from JNS

If I had to live on three knives only? That's a toughie. Likely the KS, any decent paring knife (I have a Mac), and stainless Ginga 210 Petty).

Ah, no wonder everyone didn't have paring knives.

In that case:

180 Hinoura white #2 santoku
240 Zakuri blue #1 gyuto
210 Takeda blue #1 deba (though I could see this being largely supplanted by a Munetoshi butcher when I get one)

I'd definitely have to keep my Shibata Kotetsu bunka and Takamura R2 130mm petty. In terms of a gyuto, I just picked up a Tanaka ginsan gyuto/sujihiki, so here's hoping that I'll like it

My OG Mac Mighty

A 270 Yoshikane skd suji with a Mike Henry handle. (I've owned a bunch of his handles and it's the only one left; pretty simple ebony with horn, but still special to me.)

My own made KS clone with western hybrid handle in 52100 with redwood burl handle and mosaics. Made it about 8 years ago. I hate it, yet I love it.

I'm enjoying this thread but I noticed a lot of knives first on the list are 210 mm instead of 240 or 270 mm. Any reason for this? People cooking at home who find 210 mm the most useful length?

Here's a slightly wanky-arty picture of my 3.

Double Lions Carbon Steel Chopper #2
Blenheim Forge Aogami Nakiri
Mazaki W2 Kasumi 150mm Petty

To be honest I could do pretty much everything with just the cheap cleaver, but the other two are really great.

Attachments

• IMG_0934.jpeg
    IMG_0934.jpeg
    346.1 KB · Views: 33
Back