You can only keep 3 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Today:

Itinomonn ss petty, 150mm
Munetoshi white #2, slicer 210mm
Mizuno honyaki white #2, gyuto 240mm

These Munetoshi slicers looks dope.
Wish they had them in stainless or semi-stainless.

Good trio to choose as your pick BTW.

My choice (for today ;-):
- Mune 210 Honyaki Gyuto (light, agile, resistant ...)
- Takeda 150 Petty (one of the first, still used and this AS Takeda steel ... ;-)
- Kato KU 150 Nakiri (slightly heavier, but very useful)

Toyama 240 mm stainless clad gyuto
Jiro 240 mm gyuto (#54)
Konosuke Fujiyama FM 230 mm B#1 gyuto

If I had to be more practical, I would pick one at random from above along with my Victorinox paring knife and my Kurosaki R2 150 mm petty. I haven't owned or tried many paring and petty knives, so these two picks are just what I have.

Here’s my pick. First I’ll take a beast, a Toyama 270mm gyuto or Mizuno 230mm cleaver. You all know Toyama, so I take Mizuno. It’s kind of a fusion East meets West blade. Produced in Japan, then I got inspired by a tuning project from Mario Ingoglia from the USA and then let the custom job do by Jürgen Schanz in Germany. It now has a much thinner blade, a distal taper to 1mm and a finger rest.

Second one is a Swedish lady. A 215mm gyuto with rounded curves, some hamon on the top and nice wood. Last one will be a small peeling knife. A Watanabe 70mm kawamuki in honyaki blue 1A steel.
2E989599-DE72-457A-9EE2-9E9AC2D46AC1.jpeg

Last edited:
I think every knife I own only tallies up to one of those blades.

I've just got to ask - do you actually use or is this a collection?

I have quite a bit of knives so I keep most of them just as a collection 🤣, but the Kato damascus above I did used and sharpened a few times.

Gesshin Ginga stainless 270mm wa-gyuto
Watanabe Pro gyuto stainless clad 240mm
Victorinox 8" for the sketchy stuff lol

There are zero knife is his post - just knife shaped objects that will never cut anything.
There are zero nuclear weapons in the world, only missle shaped objects that will never destroy anything.

The same reason we fight wars with conventional warheads and cut with beaters

20200728_064356.jpg

These 3. Top cutters of my collection.
Heldqvistmide 260x62 dammy clad 26c3
Bazes 225x55 iron clad blue 2
Metal Monkey 190x53mm butter iron over TWR

The metal monkey is my best cutter now, just incredible this knife. So good im going to commission it in 230ish. Fit and finish on these is wow. Handle is perfect.
The bazes is awesome. Cuts well. Great shape and weight. Super fun to polish.

The Viking kitchen sword is a beast. If its leafy green, melons, squashes, big sweet potato. This is the blade. But ill do garlic with it to. 26c3 really holds an edge.

Al

Last edited:
I guess I would keep one of my gyutos (probably my KS), a petty, and my bread knife.

Are those of you that have listed three gyutos taking the thought experiment seriously? Do you not eat crusty bread? I know some people use a gyuto for this task, but I've never tried in part because I would be nervous and in part because there is no need with a serrated bread knife on hand.

Maybe I've never owned a good bread knife but my gyutos cut bread way easier than a bread knife. Even on my home made crusty levain loaves

Back