You can only keep 3 knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
E0FCED9D-1848-4B41-A253-2BFE6A08E9FC.jpeg

CCK small stainless cleaver
Misono Swedish 150mm petty
Opinel stainless parer

I would be content, if bored, by this setup for the rest of my life

FWIW, 99% of my cooking uses:
1. Joe Calton Chinese Cleaver
2. Joe Calton paring knife or a Victorinox paring.

The other 1% is a Tojiro bread knife.

FWIW, 99% of my cooking uses:
1. Joe Calton Chinese Cleaver
2. Joe Calton paring knife or a Victorinox paring.

The other 1% is a Tojiro bread knife.
Would like to see the cleaver 😊

So, I'm going to go a bit overboard here. As if anyone buying these knives is within the confines of reason.

Top three-knife combo to get most things done at home.
1: Dalman thin cleaver, 185*100
2: Heldqvist smide bunka, 150
3: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224

IMG_1837.jpeg

Top three-knife combo I'd hate to get rid off. Here I'm assuming that I can buy more knives in the future. I don't think I'll be able to replace the Dalmans.
1: Dalman thin cleaver, 185*100
2: Dalman filet knife, 180
3: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224

IMG_1838.jpeg

Top three-knife combo if I was not allowed to have any other knives. The Global will step in as a beater, and also works fine for the rare occasions when I cut bread.
1: Global G2, 200
2: Smedja Aspen honyaki gyuto, 224 (perhaps the Dalman Cleaver instead)
3: Smedja Aspen petty, 80

IMG_1839.jpeg

I'd choose 3 Takayuki stainless lasers. They're made of soft but tough steel which is how I like it. They're also THIN AF. Like 1.7mm. Worry free for days with those knives.

Alright, after 4-5 months of not buying new knife stuff and not participating on the forums (so more time with my knives and less bias due to hype), my for sure 3 forever knives are:

1. 240mm iron clad Wat gyuto in Blue 2
2. 210mm iron clad Tsubaya Tanaka in Blue 1
3. 180mm iron clad Heiji nakiri in Swedish Carbon

Anything else I own can go tbh (although my husband would beg me to keep the 135mm Ikazuchi petty. Dude has been using it as his steak knife :rolleyes:)

Alright, after 4-5 months of not buying new knife stuff and not participating on the forums (so more time with my knives and less bias due to hype), my for sure 3 forever knives are:

1. 240mm iron clad Wat gyuto in Blue 2
2. 210mm iron clad Tsubaya Tanaka in Blue 1
3. 180mm iron clad Heiji nakiri in Swedish Carbon

Anything else I own can go tbh (although my husband would beg me to keep the 135mm Ikazuchi petty. Dude has been using it as his steak knife :rolleyes:)
Great choices, but you clearly need a suji :LOL:

I am kidding ofcourse, but sometimes I find one useful, but not absolutely necessary by any means.

What if I told you I have a 240mm iron clad Wat suji that I haven't used once since I got it in February or so...
😶
I would tell you 3 things;)

1. Sell it, you clearly don’t need it.
2. You haven’t used it, so you don’t know what you are missing.
3. I’ve tried shorter sujis and as a home cook they don’t make sense to me. Longer ones on the other hand give me something my gyutos don’t without having to deal with a huge and heavy knife. So 270-300 suji is different enough from a 240-250 gyuto to make sense to me In some cases.

Seriously, maybe it’s because it’s late, maybe it’s because I’ve had one Negroni too much, but if I could only keep 3 knives I’d keep 3 knives from @KAMON Knives ...

Wait a second! That would mean, I’d have to get rid of 2 Kamon knives... which will never happen! I can clearly and easily see myself sell a lot of fancy stuff, Japanese, Western, you name it, but I will keep my Kamon knives!

Seriously, maybe it’s because it’s late, maybe it’s because I’ve had one Negroni too much, but if I could only keep 3 knives I’d keep 3 knives from @KAMON Knives ...

Wait a second! That would mean, I’d have to get rid of 2 Kamon knives... which will never happen! I can clearly and easily see myself sell a lot of fancy stuff, Japanese, Western, you name it, but I will keep my Kamon knives!
I know in my head what you are saying, but what I am hearing is that you want to sell a bunch of cool knives that you have. I call dibs......:upsidedownspin:

1. 240 Tanaka Tsubaya B1 Gyuto, favorite knife
2. Misono Carbon Petty, not my favorite but most versatile small
3. Wusthof 8 inch or Victorinox Fibrox to beat the **** out of things

Three is the magical number. There are exactly three knives I haven't tuned or sharpened yet. Since I can keep all my equipment... since a peeler is not a knife... and since a small saw could cover what little use I have of a serrated blade... Those would definitely be the three. Beautifully enough they cover what kind of trio would fit me and such circumstances best anyhow.

Matsubara Ginsan 230/56 - low maintenance semi-workhorse. Can withstand enough sharpening to lose a full 10mm and still come out somewhat regular sized.

Takada No Hamono Reika W#2 198/46 - can be looked at like a utility knife/small Gyuto. Higher maintenance means fun. Wouldn't feel right not to retain one carbon steel anyhow. Could also lose a full 10mm and come out purely as a utility knife.

Yoshikane SKD-12 184/54 - low maintenance, flat profile, semi-laser, a perfect companion for the other two, as much as the perfect knife for quick preps. Here again can lose a full 10mm and become a somewhat regular sized Santoku.

IMG_6711.jpg

Edit: admittedly the Matsubara was touched up once.

1. 240 Tanaka Tsubaya B1 Gyuto, favorite knife
2. Misono Carbon Petty, not my favorite but most versatile small
3. Wusthof 8 inch or Victorinox Fibrox to beat the **** out of things

I love my 210mm Tanaka Tsubaya so much I keep trying to find a 240mm one but it looks like Hitohira doesn't have them anymore :(

I love my 210mm Tanaka Tsubaya so much I keep trying to find a 240mm one but it looks like Hitohira doesn't have them anymore :(
I got the Tsubaya 240 little time ago from bst. I thought it is going to be catch and release for me but I really like it 😊

Talk about turning the knife into the wound... :p
You can see it that way too 😂 but it was more like you can find these second hand too 😊

Edit, or then it was the inner flipper in me talking 😂

No one said you wouldn't have KKF and the BST thread in post-apocalyptic settings. Keep your hopes up. :)

BST would be a literal fire sale if everyone on here had to part with all but 3 of their knives. Lots of Katos and Shigs from super collectors....

But buying power would be limited by the same rule for the end buyer... Riots, chaos and a new world order would ensue. In that new order, we'd be able to have more knives...

Uh, wait, what am I talking about?

Back