You Want a 180-200mm Gyuto. Who Do You Call?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is something I'm very much just toying with right now and it would be a bit of a goal project. Meaning I have some time but I want to start researching and planning now.

The general knife intent would be 180-200mm gyuto, light and nimble but not overly delicate. Steel is pretty open with maybe a slight edge to carbon of some flavor. But again, pretty open so long as it is done well. Wa or wa-ish style handle. Nothing too locked in here. Specifics would start to materialize through thought and maker discussions.

Target is say $600USD or less. I really like what I've seen from Tsourkan and Birgersson but who else is out there that I should look at?

Dalman, Isasmedjan A.K.A. Janus, HSC... Kippington if his books weren't closed...

Not interested in Kippington so no worries there.

I was thinking Harbeer's knives are beefier. Am I wrong there? Guess I kinda thought the same with Dalman but again, could well be wrong.

Isasmedjan is one I forgot.

Not interested in Kippington so no worries there.

I was thinking Harbeer's knives are beefier. Am I wrong there? Guess I kinda thought the same with Dalman but again, could well be wrong.

Isasmedjan is one I forgot.
Depends on your definition. My 260mm HSC is about 240 grams, the 240 is about 190-200ish grams.

You can always customize your....custom.

Depends on your definition. My 260mm HSC is about 240 grams, the 240 is about 190-200ish grams.

You can always customize your....custom.

Ha. Fair point on the customizing. :) Having never dabbled in that world I'm not sure if some makers are more inclined to stick to rather set patterns they have or are open to broader customer inputs on shape, size, grind, etc.

Ha. Fair point on the customizing. :) Having never dabbled in that world I'm not sure if some makers are more inclined to stick to rather set patterns they have or are open to broader customer inputs on shape, size, grind, etc.
Just depends on the maker and what you're asking for. The ones I named are pretty open to requests or steering you too something they're more comfortable with doing as a compromise.

I have Watanabe, Myojin, HSC///, and Timothy A Johnson gyutos in that range plus Kippingtons bracketing that range (just outside in both directions). Personally, my first choice would be the Kippingtons very closely followed by the HSC/// (per @esoo mine is in Z-Wear). I prefer the steel of the HSC/// but the grind of the Kippingtons. The Scandinavians, Jonas/Isasmedjan especially are always worth a thought. Jonas is great to deal with. My other suggestion would be some of the younger guys like @lotfong/Ludvig Forgeron Coutelier or @Illyria/RDG knives (already mentioned by @brimmergj).
Beyond approximate size, price range, and handle style I'm not clear on what you want so I'm just throwing out names of makers that I respect.

Last edited:
I'm standing in the kitchen scrubbing the spine of my sujihiki on an 80 grit diamond stone and then sitting in my chair going over the spot with a sandpaper progression and I had to ask myself, "Am I sure I want a custom knife?"

Now, I know that with a custom, I won't have to scrub the spine on a stone to round it off but I also know I like to explore and tinker. Just more to ponder is all.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions so far. :)

Myojin 180mm gyuto for something Japanese, off the shelf and reasonably available. Very refined feel, more substantial than a pure laser but cuts nearly as smoothly. The 210+ are reportedly a bit thinner BTE than the 180, but I like my 180 just fine. Home Butcher had them ridiculously cheap recently, like under $300, follow them on IG for their next discount code or track the knife findings thread. I like it better than my Yoshi SKD and Shibata bunka.

Also wouldn’t hesitate to grab a Birgersson or Markin but I’m not sure if they even make that size as a standard offering so you might need to go custom with them. I’m on Frederick Spare’s list for a custom 180mm bunka to replace my Shibata, so putting my money where my mouth is there. I asked for a laser as his standard grind is a touch thicker than I prefer. I believe Spare’s books are closed till Sept though.

For 180mm-200mm bunka is also nice, I actually have one from Lars incoming.

278049249_304833388286515_3004541364035061663_n.jpg
277835461_139309238610220_3016299801534413432_n.jpg

Almost forgot Britton Steele, Steeleworks66 on IG. His books are open and he’ll make anything to your spec; he does beautiful work and I love the custom gyuto he made for me.

I have Watanabe, Myojin, HSC///, and Timothy A Johnson gyutos in that range plus Kippingtons bracketing that range (just outside in both directions). Personally, my first choice would be the Kippingtons very closely followed by the HSC/// (per @esoo mine is in Z-Wear). I prefer the steel of the HSC/// but the grind of the Kippingtons. The Scandinavians, Jonas/Isasmedjan especially are always worth a thought. Jonas is great to deal with. My other suggestion would be some of the younger guys like @lotfong/Ludvig Forgeron Coutelier or @Illyria/ROG knives (already mentioned by @brimmergj).
Beyond approximate size, price range, and handle style I'm not clear on what you want so I'm just throwing out names of makers that I respect.
Why do you keep calling him Jonas? He prefers"Janus, the SerbIan Cleaver maker Extraordinaire"
@Isasmedjan

For non-knife geek use the Suisin Western Inox is a nice 180mm, will impress everyone but the geeks, you'll like it, and it will leave some coin in pocket.

For your own use, Marko workhorse in 180mm AEBL - cause she who must be obeyed will want to use it.

Thank you again everyone. You've all given me so much to look at and contemplate.

I know this will make a lot of people's eyes roll but...

I decided to start getting more particular about what the specs I'd want would be. What I realized is I was basically designing my Akifusa with a custom handle. What can I say? 🤷‍♂️ Maybe I'm just an unsophisticated brute. 😁

Right now, if I do decide to pursue a custom I really think it would be a Tsourkan. It just has the style that speaks to me.

Ah well, ordered a couple new stones. :)

Back