Your favourite nakiri?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tried Denka, Heiji, and Tanaka

Cool, nice knives! I'm jealous. I was just saying it's probably more that the Toyama grind is suited to hard produce, rather than the absence of the tip being the reason it cut better. The Toyama 180 nakiri you sold me was also stellar. ❤

Yanick. It makes me happy.

90D88FB8-9555-414A-B725-5F91DB81936F.jpg

4C5BC793-EF39-4F66-A689-28A17C6E98CF.jpg

C1E11411-563D-467C-A19E-7D5D1CFFA181.jpg

My Kochi is great. Currently sold out though at JKI.

I have / had:
-Yaxell Gou 101
-Kai Seki Magoroku
-Ayamoto
-Kai DM-0728
-Suisin
-Kiya
-Shirou Kamo
-and a few other cheap Nakiris

The Shirou Kamo is my newest and the best of these Nakiris. It´s ulta thin and inexpensive. The Yaxell Gou 101 and Kai Nakirs are expensive, thick and brittle compared to the other nakiris. I never will buy a non aogami or shirogami Nakiri again. The Kiya Nakiri is very nice but expensive too.

Shirou Kamo:

Iron clad W#1 inhouse forged TF. 'Nihonto' finish to smooth out those little 'imperfections'. Hand chiseled kanji by the Master

How is the TF (TFTFTF…) Nakiri? I have been tempted so many times, but the Denka is a scalpel, and I was not sure if that is how their Nakiri would be too

Cool, nice knives! I'm jealous. I was just saying it's probably more that the Toyama grind is suited to hard produce, rather than the absence of the tip being the reason it cut better. The Toyama 180 nakiri you sold me was also stellar. ❤
Agree - it was not so much the tip getting stuck, it was just difficult to cut those dense beets and sweet potatoes with the gyuto’s overall.

But i totally get your point - Nakiri grind is meant for dense produce for sure

How is the TF (TFTFTF…) Nakiri? I have been tempted so many times, but the Denka is a scalpel, and I was not sure if that is how their Nakiri would be too
Super thin behind the edge. The HT seems perfect as it holds the edge and there has been zero micro chipping. The stone finish definitely pays dividends in promoting edge stability.

We had a bake this weekend, and there were lots of veggies to cut - sweet potatoes, beets, red onions, etc. the gyuto’s were simply not effective - tended to get stuck in the sweet potatoes for example,
Creating risk of chipping the edge.

Gyuto’s I tried included Denka and Heiji

Then I pulled out the 210 mm Toyama Nakiri. My problems with cutting dense food evaporated. - food just split open and bowed to the Toyama Nakiri.
It made such light work of the whole situation

You really need a good Nakiri in the kitchen
Just curious. Does Toyama nakiri cut sweet potato better than Toyama gyuto?

I would not be surprised if it does. I have a 210 iron clad one and it drops through dense food like carrots like a champ. I had some iron clad Toyama gyutos, the later thinner ones. And they were serviceable through sweet potatoes, but weren’t competing for any awards. I haven’t put the nakiri through any sweeties but I suspect it would be very, very good. Like Ian said there is plenty of gyutos that glide through sweet pots. My tansu easily comes to mind but there are plenty of others. But that 210 nakiri with its grind and flatter edge and that heft and major forward balance might power through with sone of the best I suspect. I need to put it through a sweet potatoe.

My partner is vegetarian, thus I cut lots of vegetables. For more 80% of the work I find myself going for my AS 165 Wa-Nakiri by Anryu.
IMG_7897.jpeg

But i totally get your point - Nakiri grind is meant for dense produce for sure
I would not be surprised if it does.

While there's a lot of variation between makers (e.g. the Heiji nakiri I tried wouldn't have been my go-to knife for sweet potatoes), maybe it's possible that often Maker X's nakiris have slightly thinner grinds than Maker X's gyutos. That would make sense, I suppose. Is this consistent with your experience, KKF members? The Catcheside nakiri I had wasn't thinner than the gyuto I tried, but I've tried so few nakiris that I have no idea, really.

While there's a lot of variation between makers (e.g. the Heiji nakiri I tried wouldn't have been my go-to knife for sweet potatoes), maybe it's possible that often Maker X's nakiris have slightly thinner grinds than Maker X's gyutos. That would make sense, I suppose. Is this consistent with your experience, KKF members? The Catcheside nakiri I had wasn't thinner than the gyuto I tried, but I've tried so few nakiris that I have no idea, really.
In this situation. I am only comparing the Toyama nakiri to the Toyama gyutos I had. The newer stainless clad gyutos may be different. I am not trying at all to make a case that any Nakiri is better than any gyuto for sweet potatoes. Like I said I have gyutos that are wonderful through sweet potatoes. One thing also to consider at times with a nakiri, especially a 210, you have the edge tapering down longer the whole way, where as a gyuto it will be more uneven as the nose thins out. Technique can come into play to using a gyuto more slicing motion, where the nakiri a more direct downward motion. Or you may power through with the back end of a sturdy gyuto.

Jesus Christ. That’s a gorgeous one. Custom made?

Yes custom, my first nakiri, Yanick is amazing. TBH, I was considering a Wat, but decided against it because it was during lockdown and ordering from Japan problematic; couldn't get over the cheap, plastic ferrule on the handle of Wat nakiris; and wanted carbon clad. Also, wanted a 'special' nakiri, something not as common as Wat.

Might get a Wat if I can find an older, iron clad version.

Last edited:

I have the 180 nakiri and the 240 gyuto by Toyama, both SS clad. The grind on the nakiri is way thinner (at least from mid blade) and makes it feel pretty different in use.

I have the 180 nakiri and the 240 gyuto by Toyama, both SS clad. The grind on the nakiri is way thinner (at least from mid blade) and makes it feel pretty different in use.
That's good to know.

I don't have any nakiri at this moment and I don't plan to have one yet. If I want to use a thinner knife I'd just grab my Yoshikane gyutos for now. Might try a 210 toyama nakiri one day.

Reactions: ian
I've had a good number and it's maybe an eased shoulder heiji for me but I don't cook professionally anymore so it's hard to compare to some of the ones I have/have had. Would love to try a catchside, raquin, jiro, or kipp.

Carter
Kono HD
Kochi
Wakui
Tilman
Tanaka
Wat
Harner

For fine cutting i love my Wakui 180.... Aogami 2 Warikomi Nakiri.

For heavy duty i like my Toyama 210 more.

The Kaeru Workhorse 180 (most likely Wakui too ?) is the thing between....

SirCutALot.

I recently got myseld a Yu Kurosaki R2/SG2 Senko Nakiri (165mm). I’m pleasantly surprised at the ability to slice through fresh carrots with little resistance, despite the stated blade thickness.

Slices better than the Kramer Zwilling 8” Chef Knife if you ask me.

I’m going as far as to consider a second nakiri in my collection, this time an aogami super from Mcusta… is this normal behavior lol?

EE2C9F0E-13CC-4282-8460-A46CF6BCB623.jpeg

That's good to know.

I don't have any nakiri at this moment and I don't plan to have one yet. If I want to use a thinner knife I'd just grab my Yoshikane gyutos for now. Might try a 210 toyama nakiri one day.

Thanks to JNS sales I bought one 210 Toyama Nakiri today. When I said “one day” I didn’t think it would be literally just one month later.

Back