Your favourite Semi-/Stainless Knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JayS20

Reaction score
Hey guys,
wanted to know your favourite semi and stainless knives and what you like about them.
My favourite one is my Yoshikane SLD Damascus 240 Gyuto. It's such a beautie, feels great in hand and cuts really well. It's a bit overseized with 247mm and has a height of 52mm which is rather low for my preferences but it doesn't bother me, it just fits. Usually with 240 I want 52+.
Special mentions are my Gengetsu SS which I really like but haven't had for too long yet and my Yu Kurosaki Raijin Nakiri. The Nakiri feels really delicate, a bit brittle, but never had a problem with chipping and cuts really nicely, just wish it was 180mm. Also quite like SG2 which is really robust and feels better than e.g. VG10.
Cheers,
Julian

Kippington 207 mini-gyuto in Nitro-V. Excellent food separation, very good edge retention*, and it is a tough steel so I don't feel like I have to be extra cautious with it (the tip is extremely thin).

*I haven't owned an SG2, CPM-154, or Z-Wear knife so I don't have those points of comparison but edge retention seems to be at least as good as any of my high tungsten knives and probably better than Shirogami.

Spyderco chaparral FRN in XHP. Perfect size and blade stock thickness for every day use. Love it. The only minor downside is the lock type, not my favourite.

Ginga stainless is pretty stainless, not semi.

I like Konosuke HD2 for a laser.

ETA, oops, my bad, missed the part in the OP about stainless

Last edited:
Simon Herde 270mm Gyuto in 14C28N

Last edited:
Kotetsu Bunka R2 - wispy light laser edge that dropped through product.
Konosuke 210 HD2 - only a couple of grams heavier than the Kotetsu, but feels like a much more solid cutter in the hand (new taller 49mm version).
Devin Thomas 225x47 AEB-L - incredibly competent knife. wispy tip with solid heel feels like a do everything blade. As a home cook, I've liked ~200mm blades, but the 225 feels right.

I've only had the last two for a short bit, so still getting used to them.

From the knives I still have HSCIII Z-wear gyutos. Great steel and heat treat and the knives are excellent for me. Andrei Markin m390 gyuto is my wife's favorite and I am forbidden from ever selling it. Dalman AEB-L is very good, excellent cutter and very good all around.

From the ones I've had, but don't anymore: Devin ITK AEB-L excellent all around, wish I still had it, Gengetsu SS, Itinomonn SS, Kaeru Stainless all relatively inexpensive and excellent mid-weights that do most things well.

i only have one semi ss, and its a yoshikane skd11 santoku. really like it.

for stainless i think the dimpled mac santoku is good. also kurosaki r2. yeah those are my favorites.

Gengetsu and Itiniomonn StainLESS for me.

Still need to get me a Heiji though. Been on my short list for a long while.

Heiji. It’s the bomb.

Gengetsu’s great too, of course.

I'll second this. Also like my Konosuke HD2 - haven't really experimented anymore with SS steels. I have two Heiji SS knives and they are fantastic. So nice to sharpen and really hold an edge forever.

if someone held a gun to my balls and told me i had to use only one knife for the rest of my life i'm fairly certain it would be the hattori forums santoku in vg10. yes vg10. yes a mono. doesn't get much better than that to be honest. not even if i make it myself. buuuut its quite boring. thats why its not a favorite.

I like my 240mm Konosuke HD2 Semi-Stainless after that I have two stainless clad knives that are as easy for me to maintain my 210 Watanabe and my 240 Toyama since I wipe my blades after each use these two stainless clad knives are pretty bullet proof as far as home cooking goes.

I really enjoy my geshin stainless in AUS-8 frpm jon at JKI

Stainless would my small chef knife in AEB-L by Salem Straub.
P1050681.jpg

i would say my Masamoto Swedish Steel SW , but i hear thats not very well liked around here. forgot how much i paid but i went to their store while in japan on a vacation with my wife so it has sentimental value to me.

Other than that.. my best stainless knife is a Shun Premier Kiritsuke VG-MAX, sharpens pretty easily in about 15 minutes.
IMG_0823.jpg

Shibata Kotetsu Bunka, though doesn't need to be a bunka as all of them perform great for my tastes.
Shockingly, second place goes to my Dalman 275 just because it's a touch large to and 180mm is more often what I need.

i would say my Masamoto Swedish Steel SW , but i hear thats not very well liked around here. forgot how much i paid but i went to their store while in japan on a vacation with my wife so it has sentimental value to me.

Other than that.. my best stainless knife is a Shun Premier Kiritsuke VG-MAX, sharpens pretty easily in about 15 minutes.
IMG_0823.jpg

looks pretty dope too...

used & sharpened HD2, SKD-11 (Yoshikane, Masashi), SKD-12 (Yoshikane, Heiji and Sakon), HD for SS.

Heiji & HD2 are neck and neck for ease of sharpening. Heiji tends to keep an edge longer. However, imo Heiji's standard grind is too beefy and nullifies the edge retention a bit even on soft hinoki boards when going through dense produce.

SKD-12 by Yoshikane is easy to sharpen when the blade is thin, but I find that deburring can be trickier than the above. Sometimes, when the sharpening spirit smiles, the edge rentention is on par with Heiji, and I like the edge quality much better.

HD, SLD/SKD-11 steel is lower on reactivity than the aforementioned steels. But I don't enjoy sharpening it or the edge quality.

used & sharpened HD2, SKD-11 (Yoshikane, Masashi), SKD-12 (Yoshikane, Heiji and Sakon), HD for SS.

SKD-12 by Yoshikane is easy to sharpen when the blade is thin, but I find that deburring can be trickier than the above. Sometimes, when the sharpening spirit smiles, the edge rentention is on par with Heiji, and I like the edge quality much better.

HD, SLD/SKD-11 steel is lower on reactivity than the aforementioned steels. But I don't enjoy sharpening it or the edge quality.

Which Yoshikane knives use SKD-11 vs. 12? Recently picked up a Yoshikane SKD hammered gyuto that I'm really liking. Haven't seen writeup distinguishing these subtypes though, are these two varieties used in one particular model or another?

never heard of anyone to use skd12.

skd11 is japanese d2. i can take it up to 12k and it responds good imo.

rhis is skd12 and i dont think anyone is making blades out of it. but it would be good though.

Chemical composition(mass fraction)(wt.%) of the JIS SKD 12

ElementWeight %
C​
0.95-1.05
Mn​
Si​
Cr​
4.75-5.50
Ni​
Mo​
0.90-1.40
V​