Your Favourite Wines...

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have a hard time with Europe wines. Do you guys drink many California wines?

I do, but not too often. I was on the Rhys list for several years and am letting most of them age. I would never turn down Ridge, Mount Eden, Calera, or Kalin. But I haven't really kept up.

I have no hard time drinking european whines 😁

Ripasso is a favorite, Amarone also, but those can be hard to pair with food.

Pepiere Briords, Baudry Croix Boissee, Puffeney Trousseau, Angerville anything, Barthod, Fourrier, Pradeaux, Paolo Bea, Ridge Geyserville...

I'm coming round your house for a Muscadet/Jura party!

I have no hard time drinking european whines 😁

Ripasso is a favorite, Amarone also, but those can be hard to pair with food.

Not drinking them but figuring them out as what to buy. It is getting hot right an I would like a few rose' wines under $20?

Last edited:
I can't figure out these wines. I tried googling them but I could not cross to somewhere I could buy some of them. Here is a link but I don't think it is the right wine.
Bernard Baudry Chinon | Total Wine & More

You should be able to find Ridge. I am not in a large wine market and I can get them.

They produce great Zinfandel blends; their cabernets are also very good. They are one of oldest California Zinfandel producers.

Geyserville and Lytton Springs are their two most expensive Zin blends (~$40 in GA). They have several slightly cheaper wines (~$30 - 35 in GA) Paso Robles, East Bench, Ponzo, Pagani Ranch, Three Valleys.

I don't know the Aix or Mousset, but I think they look like fine bets. Vivino looks a little pricey, but they do have a couple of options that caught my eye, in a higher price category. This is a little spendy and, unusual. It's funky, but it has real soul and personality:

https://www.vivino.com/clos-cibonne-tibouren-tradition-rose/w/1371084?year=2019&price_id=24112322
Here's another spendy one with tons of personality. It's not like most other roses but not quite as funky as Cibonne

https://www.vivino.com/ameztoi-txakoli-rubentis/w/1256018?year=2016&price_id=24621796

I buy a case a month of this at my local grocery store. I think it is great for $10. This is a NAPA chardonnay which I really like. It is kind of buttery but not over the top.

IMG_0339.jpg

Absolutely! Still treasuring the remaining stash from Puffeney.

I've just got a few bottles of '14 Chard and Sav back in the UK, but no red. Lucien Aviet's (Caveau de Bacchus) Trousseaus are worth searching out if you don't know them, not that they're any easier to buy!

Come to think of it - Puff's final VJ should be released quite soon. 75 months minimum elevage is about now, though I guess they probably keep them a little longer (?)

I don't know the Aix or Mousset, but I think they look like fine bets. Vivino looks a little pricey, but they do have a couple of options that caught my eye, in a higher price category. This is a little spendy and, unusual. It's funky, but it has real soul and personality:

https://www.vivino.com/clos-cibonne-tibouren-tradition-rose/w/1371084?year=2019&price_id=24112322
Here's another spendy one with tons of personality. It's not like most other roses but not quite as funky as Cibonne

https://www.vivino.com/ameztoi-txakoli-rubentis/w/1256018?year=2016&price_id=24621796

Funnily enough my last company were the UK importers of Cibonne, and the one before - Ameztoi. Big fan of both :).

I've just got a few bottles of '14 Chard and Sav back in the UK, but no red. Lucien Aviet's (Caveau de Bacchus) Trousseaus are worth searching out if you don't know them, not that they're any easier to buy!

Come to think of it - Puff's final VJ should be released quite soon. 75 months minimum elevage is about now, though I guess they probably keep them a little longer (?)

I have enjoyed the Caveau de Bacchus.

Funnily enough my last company were the UK importers of Cibonne, and the one before - Ameztoi. Big fan of both :).

That's some good company!

I have enjoyed the Caveau de Bacchus.

That's some good company!

(The companies I worked for obviously! I don't go around buying and selling wine import businesses. Though that wouldn't be a bad job now that I think about it ;))

So, this is my favorite rose' wine I bought a few days ago. I did not really care for the AIX even though it ranked high in Wine Spectator.

IMG_0374.jpg

So, this is my favorite rose' wine I bought a few days ago. I did not really care for the AIX even though it ranked high in Wine Spectator.

View attachment 134212

Ah interesting! The very light (some might say insipid) style of the AIX is very popular in Europe, as people often incorrectly associate darker roses with being sweeter.

I assume your rose there is dry? Or at least not noticeably sweet...?

It is dry but fuller bodied. Not sweet at all. I could probably figure out food for the AIX to make it work. I still probably won't buy any more AIX. Another 6 weeks and I won't drink rose' any more as it will be out season for me. It is still a little hot for reds. But I will be going to a wine dinner a month from now as we have it scheduled with a nice Italian restaurant. They put on wine dinners about once a month. The is the first since Covid.

Do you guys' drink ice wines? I had some nice ones up in Vancouver years ago. I don't remember the names as it was before iPhones. They make fun of the Californians having to freeze the grapes in a freezer to make ice wine. You mentioned sweet wine so it got me thinking.

Do you guys' drink ice wines? I had some nice ones up in Vancouver years ago. I don't remember the names as it was before iPhones. They make fun of the Californians having to freeze the grapes in a freezer to make ice wine. You mentioned sweet wine so it got me thinking.

I quite like Ice Wine, though it's fearsomely expensive! I assume in the US that wines made with freezing / cryo-extraction aren't allowed to label themselves 'Ice Wine'...? (They certainly can't in Europe or Canada.)

Back