Your go-to stainless knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The rules have changed, you can take only one stainless to hell/heaven(not talking about carbon 😁). Agreed on Kippingtons work, nothing but top of the line. Yoshikane SKD-12 is a joy to sharpen, very smooth. I tried Z-wear in passaround and for my skills a little slower to sharpen but still decided to get one from Harbeer.

SIH 240.. or (if I can have stainless clad carbon).. toyama 240.. and funny, I don’t own the stainless clad toyama.. but I love my carbon one so much.. that might be my pick. SIH gyuto can do anything. Makes for a great suji in a pinch. 19c27 is good stuff

Last edited:
Tanaka Ironwood 240mm

Now that I work in a Halal establishment, it's Sakai Kikumori SRS15

My only stainless Japanese knife is a Konosuke swedish stainless. It gets the job done but I only use it when I know I will be busy doing other things while I cook. My only complaint is that the knife is too light, but I have owned it for ye

I dream of not having a million other distractions when cooking. it‘s generally a frantic rush between toddler tantrums/bedtimes/other baby waking up again.

And that’s why I use a humble(ish) Kono Swedish far too often too. Trying to keep the bigger carbons either dry or far enough from wandering hands often seems too much, It’s not the greatest sales pitch admittedly.

In defence of the undersized, vertically-challenged Kono, it‘s a surprisingly sturdy beast. Never had to baby it like the fragile feeling Shibata that failed to replace it and that skinny profile has grown on me,

I had that knife.. I liked it. Sold it off course.. and now it’s disco’d..

I guess I like my SIH 240 better.. but not by much. As a matter of fact .. I think you could throw all the sakai mono stainless lasers (Kono, ashi, SIH, Mizuno ,tad, etc) in a box ... grab one.. use it blindfolded ... and never know which was which.

Interesting take that, and reassuring to know. Been tempted by an Ashi and a SIH (amongst others) to replace this ageing Kono, but it just seems too much of a marginal gain on paper.

I don't have much stainless any more. Just an Ashi Swedish Steel Pettyhiki, my wife's JKC Gyutoku, and a fistful of paring knives.

In semi-stainless I love my Shi-han 52100 250 Gyuto. And I am a big fan of Kanehide TK. I have two 240 gyutos and a petty.

Are we coworkers? :coffee:

Possibly. Do you respond less than positively to the pleading of ’Daddy needs to try out a new carbon,’ wailing incessantly whilst I slice your nuggets into wafer thin slices and shun the beautifully presented mountain of crudites that I serve you?

You make my knives rust and reduce me to stainless.

I use mostly stainless at work (I guess I am lazy) and the one I most frequently put in my bag is a Gesshin Kagero 240. A good all arounder!

Like a few others, I find myself using a Konosuke HH fairly often. Tanaka Ginsan is also a regular role player that gets a lot of minutes.

I have thre stainless knives that I really like: a 210 VG10 Hattori KF, a 240 Saji Coreless Damascus, and a 9-inch Myabi Black, which with ZDP189 is a surprisingly solid and aesthetically beautiful knife. The Saji is my favorite, heavy, beautiful, and fits my hand quite well.

P.S. The best SS value is still my wife’s 210 Misono UX10. Pure utility and performance, zero fuss.

Gesshin Ginga 150 mm stainless petty:

Great for making small stuff precisely smaller. Awesome for fruits, brocoli/cauliflower florets, and other petite tasks. A bit short for chopping but still doable. I always say this but it was the 1st knife I experienced that "holy **** that's sharp" moment.

Gengetsu 240 mm semi-stainless Gyuto:

Great for making big stuff precisely smaller. Never had a problem with reactivity, I treat it like stainless. I know it's not considered a laser but I get that lasery cutting feel in use. It was known as the chive knife at one of my old jobs.

These are my mains for work and 2 out of 4 most used at home. Makes a great combo. If I hadnt become hooked on knives, I wouldn't be unhappy with just these 2 for a minimal kit

Back