• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Withdrawn Your project knife

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

M1k3

Pepperidge Farm's remembers what Matus wrote
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
In the U.S. I'm looking for your stainless-free project Gyuto that you haven't finished or started. If you're a maker with something, I don't know, b-stock, seconds, "blemished", I'd be open. 230-240MMish+ in length. Wa handle preferred, yo accepted, doesn't even have to have a handle installed. Broken handles are acceptable. Could also go for a Sabatier blank, 9 inch+. Something under $150 max. Cheaper the better though.

Last edited:
I know zero of knife-making, but I'd be watching this with interest.

Should you want something more petty sized, then I might have something for you. But otherwise it sounds that you are offering hand sanding services. I would expect that by now you have a queue of knife makers by your front door :)

Should you want something more petty sized, then I might have something for you. But otherwise it sounds that you are offering hand sanding services. I would expect that by now you have a queue of knife makers by your front door :)
I was inspired by a taxidermied Swede :dancingchicken:

You would think. Instead they're trying to figure out contraptions to make it easier. They could just delegate.

I may contract out to you for hand sanding, if I end up with a knife I can’t finish on stones.... ;)

Hand sanding hard monosteel is the worst job in history. Maybe we can trade: you hand sand my monosteel projects, I’ll clean your house for a couple weeks.

GLWB

Also open to knives that have been tipped. Something iron clad. Something needing a nice sandpaper and stone massage.

I'm sorry to say you don't have the correct customer base here.

You really need a Dalstrong if you want "tipped"...

61hxOxzdv3L.jpg

71iZ5WUQoLL._CR0,204,1224,1224_UX175.jpg
719nHYHTMJL.jpg

Now that's a "tipped" knife... :p If you manage to have a working knife out of that, a long and prosperous career awaits you with Dalstrong, where "knives are painstakingly assembled by expert blades smiths in a state-of-the-art facility within YangJiang, China (a city renowned for knife crafting for nearly 1500 years)" and "use premium materials from different locations depending on the product".

I'm so proud of you already man!

I'm sorry to say you don't have the correct customer base here.

You really need a Dalstrong if you want "tipped"...

View attachment 99997
View attachment 99998View attachment 99999

Now that's a "tipped" knife... :p If you manage to have a working knife out of that, a long and prosperous career awaits you with Dalstrong, where "knives are painstakingly assembled by expert blades smiths in a state-of-the-art facility within YangJiang, China (a city renowned for knife crafting for nearly 1500 years)" and "use premium materials from different locations depending on the product".

I'm so proud of you already man!

I may contract out to you for hand sanding, if I end up with a knife I can’t finish on stones.... ;)

Hand sanding hard monosteel is the worst job in history. Maybe we can trade: you hand sand my monosteel projects, I’ll clean your house for a couple weeks.

GLWB
I don't know, my apartment is pretty small. Wouldn't take much to clean it.

If he didn't just buy the cheaper J-knives options in carbon from new, I think he's aiming for a relatively good J-knife with a bargain price from someone who doesn't want to have anything to do with repairing whatever needs to be...

I think too much...

Look at jaredtoddknives. He will plasma cut and heat treat blanks from your dxf files. You are looking at $30-50 for a blank without bevels.

What's your goal for the project?
Make an ugly knife less ugly. @ModRQC is kind of right. I'm not to hung up on who made the knife, but, if something nicer needs to be fixed up, I won't complain.

In the end, I'd probably give it away to someone who deserves it though. If it doesn't turn out like failure.

Make an ugly knife less ugly. @ModRQC is kind of right. I'm not to hung up on who made the knife, but, if something nicer needs to be fixed up, I won't complain.

In the end, I'd probably give it away to someone who deserves it though. If it doesn't turn out like failure.

Lol I highly doubt you would buy something that ends up in failure. Unless one of the Dalstrongs I posted... 😜 but generally speaking, grind/reprofile thin polish sharpen, or even less steps involved, how would you mess that, it will be a matter of efforts involved in the end.

Lol I highly doubt you would buy something that ends up in failure. Unless one of the Dalstrongs I posted... 😜 but generally speaking, grind/reprofile thin polish sharpen, or even less steps involved, how would you mess that, it will be a matter of efforts involved in the end.
There's the handle. I could see myself messing that one up also.
#MeasureTwiceDrillOnce

So either of two things, you confront the demon and buy a knife that specifically require working on the handle... or you skip those specifically. Or you do like I do: don’t care either way and follow your instinct. Worse that can happen is learning something. Losing some money perhaps, but how much is worth knowing thyself?

So either of two things, you confront the demon and buy a knife that specifically require working on the handle... or you skip those specifically. Or you do like I do: don’t care either way and follow your instinct. Worse that can happen is learning something. Losing some money perhaps, but how much is worth knowing thyself?
The first attempt at making the handle for my cleaver, I ended up making a new sanding block :LOL:

And so... the second one should go better with what you know. I wouldn’t even know where to begin personally. You do know some things about it that gives you a head start this time around. But at the same time if you’ve found the work fastidious and boring, my instinct would be to wait for another chance at it perhaps for I don’t like defeat, but not buy it already because I wouldn’t be involved with it. Things work better when there’s passion. Just saying... you should know what you need and what you can live without, and you’ll always improve yourself on this basis. Perhaps it’s a blade only you want to work with. Perhaps the ideal blade project will come with a handle project. Should that stop you?

Oh yes GLWB and P. And keep us posted if ever you find the dream clunker. Would like to see your work. But one way or another just have fun!

Back