Your thoughts: Venev or Ultrasharp

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Considering a deeper foray into sharpening on diamonds. The lack of flattening and mess to clean up is appealing, and I'm interested in what an edge finished on a med/high grit diamond (like 2-4k) feels like. Also, I can afford to buy diamonds and get a different sharpening experience, so of course I have to... right?
I've had a couple of cheap diamond plates in the past, and I currently use my atoma 140 & 400 to thin and do repairs when I don't have access to my belt grinder. I honestly don't mind the 'terrible' feeling all that much, so that is not a major concern for me. But I have not been impressed with how my Atomas have held up. I am thinking of buying a set of Venevs, partly b/c of the added bonus of trying bonded diamond abrasive vs. a plate. I am hesitant b/c of the potential for the bonding material to compress and warp the plate ( a known concern with Venev), and b/c of the large tolerance in flatness (.3mm).
And I've heard good things about the Ultrasharp. Consistent particle size and good durability for a plate. They are also a bit cheaper.
This is what I'm thinking, and now I wanna hear what you're thinking... what's been your experience with these? Can anyone compare the two from personal experience?
Thanks

I have Ultra Sharp but not Venev. Ultra Sharp represents a good value but you're talking about very different stones.

You will have to lap the Venev stones and that is not likely to be fun.

Also, I would still recommend some kind of lubricant with either brand, even if it is water so there is still some amount of "mess". I know lots of folks say you don't need it, but I still very much believe it is beneficial over time.

What do you want to sharpen with them?

Diamond and/or CBN stones aren't magic. They are very good for high vanadium carbide steels but I rarely use them for anything else.

Last edited:
Apples and Oranges comparison.

Ultrasharp is not unique, just a lower cost coated diamond plate like a DMT.

-low cost
-Deep scratches
-abrasive prone to tear out from plate
-single layer of diamond abrasive eventually wears out.

The venev diamond has advantages of a typical plate.

The diamond abrasive in a hard resin bond.

- Longer lasting
- Not prone to tear.out
- Better finish like waterstone.

Some disadvantages to the Venev to a plate

-vHigher intial cost
- Slower
- Needs frequent dressing and cleaning to cut properly.

Apples and Oranges comparison.

-low cost
-Deep scratches

The venev diamond has advantages of a typical plate.

The diamond abrasive in a hard resin bond.

- Longer lasting
- Not prone to tear.out
- Better finish like waterstone.

Some disadvantages to the Venev to a plate

-vHigher intial cost
- Slower
- Needs frequent dressing and cleaning to cut properly.

Typed my answer and then decided to check out YouTube only to find this:

I tell ya, a Big Brown Bear KKF Mass Drop would make me have to strongly consider entering. :)

-low cost
-Deep scratches
If I decided to go with a plate, I was considering Ultrasharp b/c I've heard better reviews compared to DMT (& the like) specifically concerning these things. But it has been your experience that Ultrasharp wears out as fast as DMT? How does it compare to the life of an Atoma?
Speed is a concern of mine. As I said, this is partly for thinning and repairing damage when there is no belt grinder. Is the speed of a Venev closer to a diamond plate or a Shapton glass in similar grits?

And I see that I sorta neglected to ask this directly in my original post: Has anyone seen or experienced the warping from the binders in venev? Or noticed the sloppy tolerance (or maybe the wide tolerance is b/c of the binder compression)?

If I decided to go with a plate, I was considering Ultrasharp b/c I've heard better reviews compared to DMT (& the like) specifically concerning these things.

Was this review one of them?

Latest posts

Back