Your Thoughts - Yu Kurosaki Fujin Bunka

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HumbleHomeCook

Embrace your knifesculinity!
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello KKF,

I've read some threads on the Fujin line in general but I didn't much helpful info.

Now, accepting that I like bunkas and am okay 165mm, I'd love to read folks' thoughts on the line and if possible the execution of this particular model. I like rather flat bunkas and I like slicey without being a Fabergé edge. I also wonder if it is handle-heavy.

I think the knife is gorgeous but it's a good bit of coin and no amount of aesthetics can carry that price point for me. It has to perform.

Anyway, as always, I'd really appreciate your inputs.

https://sharpknifeshop.com/collections/yu-kurosaki/products/yu-kurosaki-fujin-r2-bunka-165-mm

Hello KKF,

I've read some threads on the Fujin line in general but I didn't much helpful info.

Now, accepting that I like bunkas and am okay 165mm, I'd love to read folks' thoughts on the line and if possible the execution of this particular model. I like rather flat bunkas and I like slicey without being a Fabergé edge. I also wonder if it is handle-heavy.

I think the knife is gorgeous but it's a good bit of coin and no amount of aesthetics can carry that price point for me. It has to perform.

https://sharpknifeshop.com/collections/yu-kurosaki/products/yu-kurosaki-fujin-r2-bunka-165-mm

That bunka you linked is really expensive - I think the turquoise handle is adding at least $100. I have a Fujin 210 gyuto in AS that was around $280, and a Houou Santoku 165 in rainbow VG10 that was around $330.

Anyway, I really like the gyuto - very thin behind the edge, very solid feeling for what is a thin, light knife that cuts like a laser. Feels more substantial than my Yoshikane but cuts just about the same. I’ve only used the santoku once or twice - it’s mainly my wife’s knife but it has a similar feel. Neither the gyuto nor santoku have flat spots to speak of. I’d expect his bunka to have a very similar profile to the santoku.

DDD8680D-0E70-4C9D-B405-C913D91948AE.jpeg

D2A89310-D0D8-4B38-8918-C04EE5B5EA19.jpeg

That bunka you linked is really expensive - I think the turquoise handle is adding at least $100. I have a Fujin 210 gyuto in AS that was around $280, and a Houou Santoku 165 in rainbow VG10 that was around $330.

Anyway, I really like the gyuto - very thin behind the edge, very solid feeling for what is a thin, light knife that cuts like a laser. Feels more substantial than my Yoshikane but cuts just about the same. I’ve only used the santoku once or twice - it’s mainly my wife’s knife but it has a similar feel. Neither the gyuto nor santoku have flat spots to speak of. I’d expect his bunka to have a very similar profile to the santoku.

View attachment 165100

View attachment 165104

No question the bling bumps the price. I really appreciate the Yoshi comparison.

I have a Fujin 165 bunka in AS from about three years ago. The profile is, I think, a little flatter than the one you've posted, and the price was certainly a lot lighter. Can't comment on the turquoise handle, but mine (rosewood) is not handle-heavy at all.

It's a good-looking knife, cuts really nicely and takes a good edge easily. It feels good enough in the hand that it helped to persuade my other half to stop using the 135 petty for everything.

Thinning it might be a tricky issue down the line, as I think the bevels are slightly concave.

5E1DD997-1017-4AB5-AA9C-FBF6CB324129.jpeg

I bought a Kurosaki Fujin 170mm bunka made from VG10 about three years ago. I liked it a lot … so much so that I bought a second for my boat. I’ve often recommended this knife to my friends as a great first Japanese style knife. Why do I like it. First its a great cutter, chop or rock it performs great for me. I like the fact that it’s relatively thin, nicely balanced and light and maneuverable in hand. I like the sharp tip and a bunka style that’s not too blocky. It’s an attractive knife, doesn’t rust with minimal maintenance and is easily sharpened to a great edge. AND … it didn’t cost too much.

It sits in the center of my kitchen rack of permanent users where I can reach it easily. I use it regularly.

Of course all of this is just my opinion for my use … others may differ, which is fine with me.

Hello KKF,

That is really expensive.

For that price, I would talk to Fredrik Spare and get on his list. He likes bunkas as well, and at that price range I believe you could get into his coreless damascus which is just stunning. @jonnachang has a gyuto and was showing some really nice videos of it on Instagram:

Back