Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to make a no ring on her finger joke but she's got the whole internet proposing. Prolly Chinese propaganda but very talented young woman a pleasure to watch her work.

Last edited:
I just discovered this YouTube channel and I just can't stop watching.

There's some quality dual-fisted chukabocho mincing action in the second one.

I think I'm in love.

Anyone know what part of China these are from? I have never saw that pattern of cleaver during my own time in the country but I do know Viets use similar knives. I assume it is a regional style from a part of China I haven't been to yet. Yet! :)

I see at the end of one of those vids she states she is in Hunan. I find it interesting she is wearing a straw hat style I thought was strictly Viet. Some sort of cross culture thing in the past might explain the knife too.

A few years ago I was in a Japanese restaurant of some note in Atlanta with the owner of a major Taiwan cutlery factory. He looked at the perky Asian lady waiting on our table and said 'you aren't Japanese." She replied "so what am I?" His return was "your from Hunan, all you Hunan women look a a like and you are all sassy!" He nailed Hunan part and I think he was probably right about the sassy part too. :)

Wow! Love indeed. But this is no simple farm girl! Did you see how she handled the cleaver, looking up and didn't miss a beat. Trained assassin, or chef??

Anyone know what part of China these are from? I have never saw that pattern of cleaver during my own time in the country but I do know Viets use similar knives. I assume it is a regional style from a part of China I haven't been to yet. Yet! :)
Today I asked a colleague from Szechuan to check it out so she Googled it in Chinese. The "star" has 20M subscribers (only 2M on YouTube, so she must be on other outlets?) and supposedly one of the top foodie bloggers in the world. The star is from Szechuan. She was abandoned by her parents and raised by her grandmother (in the videos). She has no crew--she does everything herself. Very impressive! I'm hooked!

I noticed in some of the other videos (I don't know what order they were made in) she is using a more traditional Chinese cleaver of a pattern I picked up in Chengdu a few years ago. Very wide blade, I have never used it but I may now. :)

These are professionaly made videos - from cooking to directing and camera (not cheap to make). I am wondering what is their purpose.
The camera work and production values are first-rate; I agree that this was made professionally.

As to the purpose, I'm not sure either. Maybe just because the director wants to make something pretty? There is this fairy tale atmosphere to the videos that is quite beautiful. They portrait a fantasy world.

Michi.

I'll admit I can't get enough of them too. Did you see her make the silk mattress? My wife said its BS, have you ever see anybody with as much authority with as many diverse ingredients and techniques on primitive cookery? Mind blowing, she lights a fire just to warm the walk? She uses her kitchen knife to harvest sugar cane from the field. When my knives saw that, they all wen't whooo and shriked in unison.

I have no idea who funded it. The purpose isn't all that clear to me either. Who is the audience?

Chinese people who are supposed to believe that all is well with their country? Hardly.
Western people who are supposed to believe that all is well with China? Hardly either.

I mean, yes, these are beautiful fairy-tale videos with excellent production values, but I can't quite see why anyone would bother making them as a state-sponsored thing.

Michi.

Video I found by searching Tokifusa Iizuka 飯塚 解房, from traderjay's post. Really interesting he spits on his hands before grabbing his hammer to forgeweld at 0:15.

I would so eat this:

“It’ll give it an American touch, but not it the bad way.”

I think that as a French person, she feels compelled to defend her choice to make something with an American influence multiple times in the video. It’s subtle, but amusing to an American like me. :)

Back