Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

(Question at end of video)
Is Australian cooking better than English cooking?

(Answer)
It's a trick question- There is no such thing as English cooking. Real reason they built the empire, desperate for some other culture to come to the home island and open a decent takeaway.

Seen a couple of videos posted here from this guy. I'm interested as it seems like he basically just lays them almost flat and sharpens/thins them to a zero grind? Is this what he's doing? I don't see any deburring or raised secondary bevel unless I've missed something.

I believe the proper technical definition of this process is "thinning the s**t out of a knife".. :D

He certainly goes to town on them!

There's one with a TF mab where it looks like he raises the spine on the final stone and finishes with a microbevel. Just surprised he doesn't usually have any obvious deburring techniques or add a secondary bevel as I see in most sharpening videos. Is the burr being removed during his edge leading strokes as he sharpens?

The knife set looks like cheap junk veiled in male bovine excrement. Feels kind of insulting to plug that under the video of what looks like a proper sushi professional.

I stumbled across this by accident. I really enjoyed watching that video, even though it is quite long. I learned a fair bit.

This was pretty spot on overall. Working as a farmer and butcher on a grassfed beef farm (along with pastured pigs, chickens, turkeys, etc), I will say that one thing they didn't mention is the importance of the role of animal genetics in what the final product looks and tastes like. I've seen grassfed beef like those grassfed primals they cut in the video (with little marbling, thin fat cap, dark meat) and I've seen some that comes out with really great marbling and fat and part of that comes down to genetics, not just feed.

That said, talking to farmers about their feed systems is a constantly intriguing thing to do. Some do 100% grass-fed; some do all grain; some do grassfed for most of the animals life, then finish the animal on grain (less common, admittedly, since you can't then sell your product as 100% grassfed, which is important in this day and age).

One approach isn't necessarily better than others, but I personally think that 100% grassfed is a more challenging and holistic approach to raising beef since it involves knowledge-intensive pasture methodologies, grass management, rotational grazing systems, and a careful attention paid to breeding and genetics (just like pigs, some breeds of beef aren't as good at foraging in pasture as others).

Anyway, I'm rambling and I could talk about feed, genetics, ethics and sustainability for ages. Just know that if you ever have a piece of 100% grassfed beef and find yourself thinking it looks and tastes really amazing, then you can be confident that the farmer who produced that animal is really dedicated and undoubtedly very good at their job.

I saw that video previously. I'm not sure how well that really would work. I guess there is only one way to find out :)

My guess is that it would be good, but maybe not as spectacularly better, as the video would have me believe…

Last edited:

Anyone recognize anything in this kit? I might try them out (from video info) - Where to buy: Matcha bowl/chawan: https://www.amazon.com/Matcha-Kaneta-... Sushi chef knives set: https://www.amazon.com/Hiroshi-Knives...

A quick look shows that the knives are low quality, Chinese made junk, the claims of free sharpening service are BS and customer service is non existent.

If it looks too good to be true- It's not true.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/review..._2?ie=UTF8&filterByStar=one_star&pageNumber=2
7bb5c6087cb3149b36d34bb46629455d83f04a6cebbb08af14fb12f0161a15e5.jpg

Very pretty. But also totally silly to use a 270 mm knife to do this. It probably would have taken less time and far less effort with a paring knife or similar.

Last edited:
Back