Media Youtube AWESOME!

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I know @Salty dog (I hope I'm tagging the right person) was around here in the early days but sadly that was long before my arrival. I believe he's had some physical issues and that is a shame. All my best. I know he's revered by many here. After hearing about him I sought out his YT channel and his videos are freaking gems!

Some have little quirks and some outright shenanigans but this one is just a veteran user with a sharp damn knife. Oh, and complete with edge-scraping on the board (counter). 😍

EDIT: Okay, I guess you could say the egg slicing is a quirk but that's nothing compared to his cutting behind his back in another video!

Last edited:
Salty was my gateway drug. Just so entertaining.

This dude put out a really cool heat treat vid. He has that stench of honest self reflection. I'm charmed.

Like the previously mentioned Virtuovice, Alex has been around a while and also is a bit of a character. Has some good stuff but should also be looked at on a whole. He used to be a pretty prolific poster.

I always find interesting a lot of Japanese chefs tend to use Sujihikis instead of gyuto, at first I thought they are just using old gyutos that's been sharpened a lot, but this looks like the normal Glestain Suji, with only single roll of granton.

7j8bi4.jpg

@HumbleHomeCook

It’s a decent video. I’m sure the sausage will taste really good.

Minor criticism: The meat should be very cold before grinding, preferably semi-frozen. There was no mention at all of the need to keep everything very cold throughout the process. I also would mix the meat first with the milk powder until it gets a good bind, and then add the cheese and jalapeño at the end. Otherwise, it’s easy to end up with the ingredients blended together too much, instead of having distinct inclusions in the sausage.

Personally, I dislike recipes that use premix spice blends. They are useless to someone like myself, who lives in a different country.

This is like when I see someone cutting insanely fast and accurately in a professional kitchen with a terrible knife that’s less than $50, I wonder what exactly is the point of me buying $3k worth of knives to use at home
It's a hobby, enjoy it. I will never make as good of a dish as some of the masters out there even with better equipment and ingredients, doesn't stop me from enjoying the process.

Back