Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of it is so silly that I honestly don't even know where to start. I can see how some people might dislike sharp heels but personally I consider them an advantage; useful when you're using a gyuto as a paring knife (for example to core stuff).

This one is really bad. I think it’s up there with the video that started this thread in all its glory.

It’s truly mystifying to see professional chef after professional chef recommend a given knife purely because it’s “sharp”. That’s like recommending a specific car model because it has gas in the tank.

It’s truly mystifying to see professional chef after professional chef recommend a given knife purely because it’s “sharp”. That’s like recommending a specific car model because it has gas in the tank.
Exactly.

We can all stop posting until 2022... this is the post of the year.

i sharpened knives for 3 hours tonight and was feeling a little down on myself. very slowly improving, but good angle control is hard. it's hard to keep a super consistent angle, and it's hard to pick what angle that is. you know, the basic struggle. i can slice paper and shave hair, but i'm still a beginner.

and then i saw this molly video. holy crap. compared to her, i'm looking pretty good. she looks like that was her first day sharpening.
Actually, I think I did way better right from the start. I don't really understand the wobbly ("Sweeping"?) motion. Looks like she's trying to thin and convex it almost.

A lot of it is so silly that I honestly don't even know where to start. I can see how some people might dislike sharp heels but personally I consider them an advantage; useful when you're using a gyuto as a paring knife (for example to core stuff).
My first thought when I saw this was "well, learn how to hold knife then." Besides, rounding off the heel can be achieved in 3 minutes.

Of all the knives he had there, I expected the Misono to do the best, maybe with the Shun a close second.

It would also be nice if he learned how to pronounce "Shun"…

One for the TF aficionados

Unknown.jpeg

Last edited:
This is strange

Seemed to have a spectrum of knowledge and skill on this video ranging from competent to clueless.

Watching that tomato get destroyed with that serrated knife was painful to watch.

I assumed if you were a pro chef then you would have good knife skills but I guess that’s not necessarily true.

My question is for the people making the content - somebody should have been like “Do you know what, Molly doesn’t seem to know what she’s talking about, let’s cut that segment. It’s going to look bad for all of us if our chefs seem clueless”

Seemed to have a spectrum of knowledge and skill on this video ranging from competent to clueless.

Watching that tomato get destroyed with that serrated knife was painful to watch.

I assumed if you were a pro chef then you would have good knife skills but I guess that’s not necessarily true.

My question is for the people making the content - somebody should have been like “Do you know what, Molly doesn’t seem to know what she’s talking about, let’s cut that segment. It’s going to look bad for all of us if our chefs seem clueless”
Much better description than mine. Even the fact that tomato knives exists is a manifestation of lack of knife and sharpening knowledge

This is strange

“You can use this to cut really thin slices of tomato” Demonstrates by cutting really thick slices of tomato.

“This Zwilling stays really sharp. I’ve had it for 4 years and only sharpened it a few times”. Somebody send her a Worksharp Ken Onion.

“As a chef I’m not really good at cutting. My skills lie elsewhere.” Sounds like my electrician who couldn’t figure out a wiring issue, his skills didn’t lie with wiring.

I think part of the problem is that the premise of the video is a bit weird... because I've seen at least some of the BA people use enough good quality knives that it's fair to presume they have at least some manner of taste when it comes to knives. But now they just do another one of those 'everyone gets to pick one' weird videos, and it looks more like they're trying to use the chefs as a backdrop to give a general introduction to knife types.
And a lot of their content has been more about making entertaining YT videos based on personalities than actually giving solid information. Questionable direction if you ask me but it paid off for them in the views; a lot of their viewers just want easy entertainment instead of education.

Last edited:
Back