Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After I watched this documentary, I decided that I don't care whether he can cook. The guy is a sociopath.

But whatever. I blame television rather than Ramsay for this one. He’s working with the parameters he has and trying hard to be a showman who makes it work. There are other vids of his that I find cringe worthy though.

Like this one?

I also have his Masterclass I and II series. I don't think he is a very good teacher he has this TV persona developed and it's basically the same mannerisms repeated over and over. Further, it comes across to me that he doesn't truly understand the underlying concepts of why he does what he does in cooking, and is just repeating what he was taught to do. For an example we can understand around here, look at his behavior with knives: he repeats "let the knife do the work" repeatedly. What does that even mean?

Like this one?

I also have his Masterclass I and II series. I don't think he is a very good teacher he has this TV persona developed and it's basically the same mannerisms repeated over and over. Further, it comes across to me that he doesn't truly understand the underlying concepts of why he does what he does in cooking, and is just repeating what he was taught to do. For an example we can understand around here, look at his behavior with knives: he repeats "let the knife do the work" repeatedly. What does that even mean?

I'm impressed he put salt on the Fritos.

I mean, the techniques he used here don't look terrible given the ingredients at hand, but what is the freakin point of making such a weird dish out of prepared items on the side of a race track... I guess it was entertaining?

I'm more bothered by his perpetuation of old kitchen myths, like the fast sear "sealing in the juices" and stuff. Just like you say "he doesn't truly understand the underlying concepts of why he does what he does in cooking, and is just repeating what he was taught to do."

But then again, he has a million Michelin stars and I've never even diced 10 onions in a row. So I should shut up.

I'm impressed he put salt on the Fritos.

I mean, the techniques he used here don't look terrible given the ingredients at hand, but what is the freakin point of making such a weird dish out of prepared items on the side of a race track... I guess it was entertaining?

I'm more bothered by his perpetuation of old kitchen myths, like the fast sear "sealing in the juices" and stuff. Just like you say "he doesn't truly understand the underlying concepts of why he does what he does in cooking, and is just repeating what he was taught to do."

But then again, he has a million Michelin stars and I've never even diced 10 onions in a row. So I should shut up.
Michelin and Beard are such a racket. Sometimes genuinely good stuff is recognized without any "under table handshakes" though.

Gee, I want a "grilled" cheese sandwich with cold cheese inside, kimchi (of all things!) and burnt bread around the edges.

Not a Ramsey fan. I can watch Jacque Pepin all day -- he obviously knows and loves food, and knows and loves his friends and family too. He may not be a cooking show celebrity, but dinner at his house will be delicious every time....

Not a Ramsey fan
No surprises, there are multiple Ramseys. The one that did the 20-part cooking show for UK TV is excellent (and unintentionally hilarious when he's just done a line or seven before recording a segment) but the one who did the US TV stuff is a complete wanker.

I think he's better at cooking than sharpening.

His motion looks smooth enough. Maybe he just doesn't ever cut with the tip? :p

I knew I was missing a step in my sharpening, I need to wear a mask, even outdoors, NOT

Don't think the mask's a problem here. I mean, he's standing 1 foot away from someone not in his immediate circle of people. Seems responsible.

Kenji's knife creds were established when he called the Misen the "Holy Grail".

Popcorn worthy pissing contest with him buried in the KKF basement.
I was curious, so I went looking for it. Kenji made a total of four posts here, all in the same thread.

I didn't read every post in detail. But it seems sad that he decided to disengage, quite likely due to the hostile reception. Yes, the Misen is probably not the best knife money can buy. At the same time, he didn't exactly eat babies, did he?

I thought he explained his evaluation of Misen quite well in that thread, and indicated that his statement meant “an excellent low cost mass market knife” not “the best knife ever, regardless of cost”. Seemed totally genuine and reasonable to me, even if some of the nuance was lost in the “holy grail” title of the article. Then there was the usual KKF whining, and he left.

I don’t have any opinion of Misen, of course. Kenji just seemed to genuinely like it, so good for him. And imagine if the holy grail article was about an Ashi honyaki instead of a Misen. His readers, used to getting real suggestions, would be like “oooh, I want that!” and then scroll down to the bottom to realize that it cost $2000. Anyway, maybe “holy grail” isn’t the best choice of words, but it’s not. that. big. a. deal. Leave the man alone.

Thanks Michi. I don't think you counted the deleted posts. Otherwise spot on.
Obviously, I can’t see the deleted posts :)

Sad to see that he left. It would have been nice to have him around. In my opinion, he’s a good cook and explains things well, in a down-to-earth way.

I didn't think about the extent of the deletions when I described the "popcorn worthy" nature of the thread. Didn't think of all the PMs either. And hell, I was in the middle of it.

Can't argue with his success. But I'll always view him through the lens of that dialogue..

This one makes me so uncomfortable. And this is what the suburbs people.watch and believe.
Going to have to unexplain all this **** to a relative one day.

Edit. I guess the butchery portion isn't too bad. The veggie portion is just...special.

Last edited:
This is well-intended. As he says right at the beginning, "knife nerds, this video is not for you."

I was wincing several times through this. But, to be fair, any kind of sharpening—even on one of those pull-through things—is better than no sharpening at all. Given that most households don't seem to sharpen their knives at all, ever, that video is actually a step in the right direction.

Back