Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Probably some of my favorite knife videos
I guess on KKF there are quite a few people who enjoy watching the ones where there's a conflict between a knife and a person, and the knife wins. :)

Actually I guess it's more like when "dog people" watch videos where dogs do bad things, and point out how the dog is just being a dog, and it's the people misunderstanding the dog that's causing all the trouble.

Those videos. I don't have the words. At least I learned such gems as "flat blade knives" are easier to sharpen. Usubas are totally for removing "bloodlines" from fish. Because bad genetic material should totally be cut out?

Came across this the other day.
Its like a bad train wreck I couldnt look away. Made me cringe the whole time.
Since when are basic julienne and dice cuts outdated? How do they make pico? Do they just smash tomatoes with their fists? Slap chop everything?

So slow and so much whining.
And they have the audacity to call em "pro chefs" lmao

Read the Channel Comments below the video. This dude teaches a class!!!
Considering the target audience, I thought that wasn’t too bad. He could have done a better job didactically in places (how much pressure is “not too much”, etc.), but I’ve seen far worse.

Realistically, for a lot people, a pull through sharpener will be all they ever use. And, at least, he picked one with ceramic disks instead of one with those V-shaped blades,

Considering the target audience, I thought that wasn’t too bad. He could have done a better job didactically in places (how much pressure is “not too much”, etc.), but I’ve seen far worse.

Realistically, for a lot people, a pull through sharpener will be all they ever use. And, at least, he picked one with ceramic disks instead of one with those V-shaped blades,

His description of stone sharpening is way off and to say it takes up to 40min's is very misleading.

I agree that if you must use a pull-through, that's somewhat more acceptable but I think he could easily encourage efforts at stone sharpening that are much more approachable for people and paint the pull-through as last resort.

His description of stone sharpening is way off and to say it takes up to 40min's is very misleading.

I agree that if you must use a pull-through, that's somewhat more acceptable but I think he could easily encourage efforts at stone sharpening that are much more approachable for people and paint the pull-through as last resort.
Not sure I agree with that. Does it take me under 40 minutes today, yeah by a lot? However, that's owning knives that are much thinner behind the edge and mostly white and blue steel, nicer stones, and hundreds of hours of amateur hobby practice.

When I came at it at the beginning, trying to mimic youtube videos while not also ruining my macbook with sharpening gunk, getting setup, and using mass produced thicker knives that were in much worse shape, it took a lot longer per knife. I do think after the first few times, it does drop fast from 40 minutes. Goes even faster if you start off with something like a Shapton.

Does anyone actually like watching these BA YT personalities or is it a love to hate thing like the heels in pro wrestling?

I liked "Gourmet Makes" with Claire. I also really liked Sohla whenever she came on because it was obvious she knew what she was talking about and had the skills to back it up. But from watching the BA videos, it became glaringly apparent that having knowledge and skill were not the primary requirements of working or writing for BA -- especially with Rappo at the helm.

Came across this the other day.
Its like a bad train wreck I couldnt look away. Made me cringe the whole time.
Since when are basic julienne and dice cuts outdated? How do they make pico? Do they just smash tomatoes with their fists? Slap chop everything?

So slow and so much whining.
And they have the audacity to call em "pro chefs" lmao

shef.jpeg

He isn't incompetent. These are reasonably good knife skills.

But I just don't see why anyone would want to bother with this extreme curve on the blade. The only way to use it would be to cut in the German style, where the blade never lifts off the cutting board; otherwise, you'd end up with lots of accordions. But, even so, the front 25% of this blade are essentially unusable unless I lift my elbow to a grotesque degree.

After having made knives for many decades, you'd think that Wüsthof would have the experience to see that "this knife won't work well". Maybe someone did realise and got shouted down by the marketing guys. Who knows…

Back