Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
KKF ought to consider having pro-members submit some short sharpening introduction videos with various individual sharpening techniques & the reason to pick a technique. Lots of YouTube videos are 15-45 minutes long & some are beyond an hour. I'm never going to watch even a 30 minute sharpening video.
I'm not a pro, but feel like I've been getting consistent results for the past year and have a short 4-video series in the works, limited to 5" per video. I've been shooting and rewriting the scripts when I'm not happy with them. But yes I saw this as a need as well.

It sort of sounded like I was criticizing the particular presenter, but I didn't intend that.

The woman actually does a great job of hitting the basics and every kid ought to see the video.

But the era we're living in where anyone can start posting videos, as if he has something valid and useful on YouTube, has gone beyond what is practical. But that's the YouTube world today. I just checked YouTube on knife sharpening. If there are less than 200 videos on knife sharpening, I would be surprised.

KKF ought to consider having pro-members submit some short sharpening introduction videos with various individual sharpening techniques & the reason to pick a technique. Lots of YouTube videos are 15-45 minutes long & some are beyond an hour. I'm never going to watch even a 30 minute sharpening video.

I've been sharpening now for over 70 years all the way from a little single hand stone, to larger ones & up to rotating diamond laps in my machine shop. There is a lot to gain from understanding the breadth of techniques out there. I'm sure some members here have developed their own quick techniques to use when they are in a pinch.

Some techniques that are most useful might be what to do when you actually have a damaged or broken blade. What do you do? You can't just start fixing in on a stone, unless you have days free to do mindless strokes.

the irony of sharpening on youtube is that there are already videos from Jon, Mutsumi Hinoura, etc. in addition to those from KKF members like Badgertooth, Jude, Naader and then there are tons on IG from like Forty, Milan, etc.

but what makes a popular youtuber? there's a pattern:
  • young
  • white
  • stupid
  • loud
  • stupid
  • at least moderately attractive by conventional standards. certainly no obvious physical differences/disabilities
  • did I say loud and stupid?
so when you search, and you see some shitlord with 500k views and a professionally done thumbnail, or you see Jon Broida's excellent videos but they're from 10 years ago, you might personally click on Jon. most people are going to click on the shitlord. and they do. and they get bad advice.

btw Im a millennial personally dont take this to mean I think younger people cant make good videos. Im just saying that this is the pattern.

also a general note to the peanut gallery please understand Im not saying that all popular youtubers are all things on this list or that simply being the things on this list is adequate for success. but I will tell you that Google knows it's true and the way I know they know is because they literally refuse to investigate whether the video recommendation system does this because if they do they might have a legal liability and they know.

I'm not a pro, but feel like I've been getting consistent results for the past year and have a short 4-video series in the works, limited to 5" per video. I've been shooting and rewriting the scripts when I'm not happy with them. But yes I saw this as a need as well.
Sounds absolutely terrific from a person with a good teaching bent.

I like it overall. I don't really take issue with any of the peoples skills stuff because it's ultimately a show and he's effectively playing a character. I like that it mostly focuses on the food and it's pretty upbeat. A little bit cringy at times, but maybe I've been inoculated by Mark Wiens.
Yeah, when I posted that I had only seen a couple episodes. After seeing a couple more, some are definitely worse than others. I’ll never not hate that intro song though.

This one just felt like one long infomercial and it had that annoying guy that throws his knife into the board - there is something about him that irks me. He actually said that he traded in his whetstones for an electric sharpener

This one just felt like one long infomercial and it had that annoying guy that throws his knife into the board - there is something about him that irks me. He actually said that he traded in his whetstones for an electric sharpener

what the heck is a tik tok star?

TikTok is a social media app - short vídeos and stuff. I guess he’s got a big following there
What I meant was, is that supposed to give some sort of credibility? There's a number of culinary awards such as Michelin stars, but does it mean something to be considered a "tiktok star"? Because that guy really bothered me. The 2 women at least seemed to have understanding of what they were talking about. Hard to blame them for recommending an electric sharpener to the average joe. But the dude seemed like a total tool.

wever, I have noticed they recommend OXO whatever all the time.
I suspect that's because they honestly think that the OXO products are a cut above the rest. Certainly, that's been my experience. Almost all the OXO products I have used are well designed and last a long time.

The one exception are the Good Grip Pop 2.0 containers. Those are garbage. The lids don't seal properly and come off way too easily, and the containers break when dropped.

I actually like my OXO strainer quite a bit. I had a real POS that it replaced. I've had a few OXO products, and I do like them all.

My thing is that I'm trying not to buy things made in china. Basically, I look for made in "NOT china", and I'm not going to capitalize china in any way. Get it?

What I meant was, is that supposed to give some sort of credibility? There's a number of culinary awards such as Michelin stars, but does it mean something to be considered a "tiktok star"? Because that guy really bothered me. The 2 women at least seemed to have understanding of what they were talking about. Hard to blame them for recommending an electric sharpener to the average joe. But the dude seemed like a total tool.

it gets views.

views get ad revenue.

tiktok is funny because you can get away with just stealing **** from other people. I was watching a sorted video with some huge "tiktok star" and she was famous for just making a worse version of potato pave... I mean what was ironic was that she is actually really knowledgeable and I think formally trained but yeah she's famous for a recipe that if you say to most people their minds immediately go to Thomas Keller 🤷‍♂️ oh or that thing where people sing a "sea shanty" that's not actually a shanty.

That guy does come across as a tool, but he was a finalist on Master Chef and actually worked in restaurants. I’ve indirectly watched a few of his videos (via Uncle Roger reviews) and he seems like he knows what he’s doing and his knives actually seem pretty sharp. He’s like a very cocky 20-something, so I give him a bit of a pass b/c I was too at that age.

Anyway, he’s very unlike the ATK “chefs”, who I suspect mostly just have experience baking cookies. Sorry, I just can’t get past the whole “favorite knives” video from ATK. Tarred with a broad brush, yup.

I don’t understand the anger comment? Sorry, what am I missing? That was a huge amount of work to get to the end product. I cook salmon all the time living in the Seattle area. I’m sure that was really good but wow on the time it took.

I don’t understand the anger comment? Sorry, what am I missing? That was a huge amount of work to get to the end product. I cook salmon all the time living in the Seattle area. I’m sure that was really good but wow on the time it took.

I took it as the poor butchery of the fish. He left a ton of meat behind.

Many years ago, I used to catch salmon in Alaska and even back then I could do better.

I wasn't sure if maybe he needed the filets to be a particular thickness for the dish to work. And maybe the part left on the skin wasn't wasted but repurposed along with the rest of the trim. Maybe. I hope. Apart from the fish, everything else was treated so skilfully that it seems hard to believe he was that bad and that wasteful when butchering it on camera.

Okay, thanks. Now I know where you were coming from. I definitely noticed that he had a lot of waste on the second half but it appeared that he didn’t need it for the dish. Hopefully all of the leftover fish was used for something else. After I marinade and cook my cedar planked salmon on the bbq we make salmon cakes with the left overs.

If the objective in fabricating the fish was to get to 4 nice fillets then he accomplished just that. But It would have taken no more effort to do a better job of butchery. I would have repurposed the "trim" and judging by the care taken on the shallot reduction I would think he would as well. I do know, have worked with, others that would not.

If the objective in fabricating the fish was to get to 4 nice fillets then he accomplished just that. But It would have taken no more effort to do a better job of butchery. I would have repurposed the "trim" and judging by the care taken on the shallot reduction I would think he would as well. I do know, have worked with, others that would not.
I like to give the benefit of the doubt and my first thought was that maybe he doesn't actually work with many whole fish, and they got the whole fish to get some extra footage for the video. You're right though, there's a lot of people who don't care about using every gram of meat on the fish. anybody with an electric Bubba blade

I like to give the benefit of the doubt and my first thought was that maybe he doesn't actually work with many whole fish, and they got the whole fish to get some extra footage for the video. You're right though, there's a lot of people who don't care about using every gram of meat on the fish. anybody with an electric Bubba blade
They do have a potted salmon appetizer on the menu
https://theclocktowernyc.com/menus/dinner/?utm_source=Google+My+Business&utm_medium=Menu+Link

Back