Media YouTube Knuckleheads

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As you can see the first side he did was finished all the way down the tail end 1:17. So the 2nd side of the salmon filet I personally think was completely messed up 1:45, Too much meat left on the bones and on the fish skin 2:24.
But aside from the techniques, the end product do seems pretty good tho.

I would like to specifically call this knife to the attention of @daveb, @M1k3, and @stringer. New line knife fellas?

Also, please note how many views this thing has.

I like how he takes the time to make one side all nice and smooth. The other side he just says "**** it!". One way to prevent food stickage AND clean cuts? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

Bizarrely, despite the keyframe, this doesn't appear to be a joke.

"I like a bamboo cutting board, it's much safer than a glass board."

At 75 pages I'm sure someone's posted this already.

Bizarrely, despite the keyframe, this doesn't appear to be a joke.

"I like a bamboo cutting board, it's much safer than a glass board."

At 75 pages I'm sure someone's posted this already.

"Chef Mike" giving us a bad name! It's such a respectable name in the restaurant business. 🤦‍♂️

I was watching an episode of America's Test Kitchen and cringed watching one of the test kitchen 'chefs' (Elle was her name, I think) chopping a bulb of fennel. I was waiting for her either to cut her finger or leave some chopped fingernail in the food...

Photo Mar 06, 10 02 43 PM.jpg

I always get a kick out of watching "experts" sharpen knives on YouTube and I know that there has to be some "expert" cooks on there too that's worth checking out.

Anyone have any good "expert" sharpener or cook videos to share? :D
Apologizing for the Hijack - but I can watch Thomas Keller's Masterclass over and over and over.

Just bought a Masamoto KS on BTS, did a search and couldn't resist seeing how it did in the hands of Ryky "this is probably as sharp as anyone can get this knife" Tran failing to smoothly cut paper of all kinds with it. Never ceases to amaze.

"Showing how it's possible to get an insanely sharp knife with just two Japanese whetstones"

Just bought a Masamoto KS on BTS, did a search and couldn't resist seeing how it did in the hands of Ryky "this is probably as sharp as anyone can get this knife" Tran failing to smoothly cut paper of all kinds with it. Never ceases to amaze.

"Showing how it's possible to get an insanely sharp knife with just two Japanese whetstones"

In fairness to Ryky, “It is hitting some pretty rough spots in the paper” (2:16 mark) 🤣 🤣 🤣

I get those little snags when I’m being super lazy and just do a few passes on my finisher (SG4000) or strop as a touchup. Now I know I should be blaming the paper and not my sharpening 😜

In fairness to Ryky, “It is hitting some pretty rough spots in the paper” (2:16 mark) 🤣 🤣 🤣

I get those little snags when I’m being super lazy and just do a few passes on my finisher (SG4000) or strop as a touchup. Now I know I should be blaming the paper and not my sharpening 😜
Hey man, paper can be a lot tougher than people realize. 😂

I can't believe he puts these videos out in the world. In another one I came across in the last year or so, he sharpened a knife (for like 40 minutes, WHY are they so long?!?), utterly failed to cut even copy paper cleanly, and then published the damn thing like he was proud of it. I'm ok at sharpening now after a few years at it, but I was getting better results than him after about two months with cheap Norton stones. Good showmanship I guess. Certainly good business acumen, gotta give him that.

And I was saying to a new pal met this week on BST - it's crazy that he seems get so much hard-to-find stock.

It's probably not as sharp as it could be. But, if you were to hand me that knife and tell me "cook a meal with this", I would be quite content to use that knife. It's certainly sharp enough to deal with just about anything on my cutting board.

Sigh... Made-In should just stick to cookware...

I have several issues with this guy's "instruction".

Way too low of an angle and even he doesn't keep it if you watch close and he never explains why the knife is ready to switch sides. He just says you do x-number of strokes and then you can feel the knife is ready. Feel how?

Videos like these just lead eager people into frustration and likely quitting.

Sigh... Made-In should just stick to cookware...

I have several issues with this guy's "instruction".

Way too low of an angle and even he doesn't keep it if you watch close and he never explains why the knife is ready to switch sides. He just says you do x-number of strokes and then you can feel the knife is ready. Feel how?

Videos like these just lead eager people into frustration and likely quitting.

"I like to use water (on his waterstone) because its foodsafe" 👍

I also like how he "effortlessly pulls" during his tomato demo but when they cut to the close shot of it actually cutting you can see his index finger actively pushing on the spine.

This comes across to me like its primary purpose is to sell the idea of learning how to sharpen and the Amazon available stone set he's using rather than actually teach people the skill.

I think that was the worst sharpening demonstration ever.

Ive seen worse but I cant post because it was literally a political ad.

one of those people who try and project a the 'tough-guy' image that's running for congress and stands in front of a pickup truck and has clearly never sharpened a knife in his life.

oh and as he complains about foreigners he's sharpening a knife made in china 🤡

I think that was the worst sharpening demonstration ever.

You mean you don’t try to saw slices off your stone while sharpening?

I’m kidding really, we always say do what works for you. If his knives are getting sharp then good for him. But maybe he should reconsider making sharpening tutorials.

You mean you don’t try to saw slices off your stone while sharpening?

I’m kidding really, we always say do what works for you. If his knives are getting sharp then good for him. But maybe he should reconsider making sharpening tutorials.

I suspect that when the camera isn't on, ole "Cowboy Kent" pulls his knives through an electric Chef's Choice. ;)

Latest posts

Back