• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

SOLD Yu Kurosaki Fujin AS 210mm

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Delat

Dazed & Confused
KKF Supporting Member
Reaction score
Asking $250, CONUS preferred - international we can talk but shipping and taxes is rarely worthwhile at this price point. CONUS shipping and original box included.

Steel: Stainless-clad Aogami Super
Height: 46.3mm [my actual measurement]
Weight: 140g
Blade Hardness: HRC 63-64
Ferrule Material: Red Pakka wood
Handle Material: Keyaki (Japanese Elm)

I’ve touched it up lightly on a 4k stone at 15dps once or twice, along with a strop. With extreme magnification you can see my edge is a microbevel sitting on top of the original edge bevel, so the base of the original bevel is untouched (pic below).

In terms of performance it cuts very similarly to my Yoshikane SKD from Epicurean Edge - very laser-like and doesn’t give up much compared to my Shibata Koutetsu. It feels a bit more substantial than the Yoshikane despite weighing a bit less. I’m shifting to Western makers and unfortunately need to make room, so this beauty has to go.

The Fujin was offered in AS, R2, and VG10, each with a different look. “Fujin” is Japanese for God of Wind, and the Tsuchime is meant to be evocative of wind-driven rain. IMHO this is the best looking Kurosaki in all his various offerings with the dark kurouchi and distinctive tsuchime, and very difficult if not impossible to find new today. I’ve removed some of the patina, but AS takes a beautiful dark grey patina over time (or you can coffee etch) that will match the dark ku finish with the brighter kasumi in between. I didn’t want to be too aggressive removing the patina and affect the kasumi - you can see a slight darkness change in the lower portion of the kasumi where the flitz touched.

edit: added weight measurement above

F4BD1358-20DA-46E6-9DEC-52698EB4A047.jpeg

1AF3E0FD-505F-44E1-9059-AF783A071D11.jpeg

891F97FF-606C-4ED6-AB36-AA602B0FBB95.jpeg

3BDA4FAA-314D-40BB-81E6-12D1346DFDD0.jpeg

7ADC6CD3-76E3-41D1-BADD-708E5072BB7C.jpeg

Here’s a super-zoomed image of the edge (edge facing up). The darker area at the top of the edge is my microbevel, the adjacent thin bright area below is the base of the original edge bevel.

A40CF1E4-0DF2-4448-B8E5-F36A0B47F551.jpeg

I noticed a few spots of patina along the spine while shooting this video and removed them immediately after.

Last edited:
Had one. Back when a noob. As soon as I hit BST with it some obsure member with an historically single post saying "PM" to me bought it from me. Was probably more aware than I of its eventual rarity on the market or really wanting it. All in all I didn't loose much of anything since a Canadian member willing into e-transfer. But I don't think we've ever heard anything else much from him. Could be wrong though cause that was almost two years ago and at some point (possibly within a month of the transaction) I completely forgot his ID, can't be bothered to try and browse back there in PMs, yet I'm fairly certain he was never around anymore.

And I fully agree there isn't a ton of them out right now. I've seen a few Kurosaki Fujin AS shorter blades here and there, and a 240mm unit was available for a while on Alambika at a ridicoulous pricepoint which was sold eons ago I believe.

Mind you mostly into Canadian market but then again these are rare.

That's a very good sale. GLWI.

BTW from choil shots this one I probably would have kept longer that the old mine, Back then a fully concave grind that didn't impress me. This one to me seems much closer to where the best of geometry for it should stand,

Last edited:
I have 2 240 Fujins, one AO Super and the other SG2… absolutely fantastic knives. They were very hard to acquire even when I bought them over a year ago and I know that the AS ones go quick now. For good reason! They punch way above their price point and are just all around great knives. Whoever chooses to purchase will be very happy! GLWS

I have 2 240 Fujins, one AO Super and the other SG2… absolutely fantastic knives. They were very hard to acquire even when I bought them over a year ago and I know that the AS ones go quick now. For good reason! They punch way above their price point and are just all around great knives. Whoever chooses to purchase will be very happy! GLWS

Totally agree! His gyutos have shot north of $300 in past year but in the under $300 bracket I think Kurosaki and Yoshikane are standouts. He seems to be working with cobalt special steel for the Raijin series now, so his AS work is especially hard to come by.

Oh heck yes, I’d take AS over VG10 any day of the week.

As I certainly would over SG2... I'm deeply sickened by the oversaturation of the market with it.

So this is really a golden chance to get a real decent steel from a maker that basically turned his back on it and nowadays almost strictly uses VG-10, enriched VG-10, and what I consider like "PM VG-10" to populate like 10 series of knives... Complete turnoff. But it sells so I guess it's really just me.

I should buy this one just on principle.

As I certainly would over SG2... I'm deeply sickened by the oversaturation of the market with it.

So this is really a golden chance to get a real decent steel from a maker that basically turned his back on it and nowadays almost strictly uses VG-10, enriched VG-10, and what I consider like "PM VG-10" to populate like 10 series of knives... Complete turnoff. But it sells so I guess it's really just me.

I should buy this one just on principle.
The market really is going to more and more stainless knives, it took me forever to track down one of these in as! Also you should definetely buy it on principle

Ugh.... procrastinated to long ...Congrats to both of you

Latest posts

Back