Z wear laminate

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HSC /// Knives

KKF Supporting Craftsman
Reaction score
another attempt -
it's not perfect but it's progress,
Z wear and wrought iron laminate
has some delamination but the best success so far,
I'll keep trying

3zBV2xf.jpg

q7Sc1kh.jpg

lwFffMP.jpg

I dont mind the deamination so much, looks kinda rustic with the iron. What would concern me, is that the lamination looks like it goes all the way to the cutting edge in a couple places. Have you found this to effect edge stability?

I dont mind the deamination so much, looks kinda rustic with the iron. What would concern me, is that the lamination looks like it goes all the way to the cutting edge in a couple places. Have you found this to effect edge stability?
from a functionality point of view, the delam is a bigger concern, the material can actually peel away...
but no, I'm not concerned about edge stability if the lamination has an appearance of coming down to the edge, it doesn't necessarily mean there is no hardened core available at the edge.

Got any gyutos like this in the works? Looks really nice. Bet that wasn't easy though

Got any gyutos like this in the works? Looks really nice. Bet that wasn't easy though
Not yet. When I started this project I did some large billets....now I have realized I need to just make smaller knives to get started. Larger ones will come when I feel like I have some success.

you do a large billet and it’s a fail and all you’ve done is lost more time and materials

Are there any challenges with heat treating this combination of materials? I see a lot of high alloy PM steels cladded with relatively hard stainless steels due to problems when heat treating.

Are there any challenges with heat treating this combination of materials? I see a lot of high alloy PM steels cladded with relatively hard stainless steels due to problems when heat treating.
No not for with iron, as i heat treat for just the core. Wrought iron is able to take higher temperatures then z wear so remains soft

I did have trouble when I tried using stainless as a cladding which didn’t really work well

The Austentize temperature of 410 stainless is lower than that of the 2000° for Z wear. So the stainless hardens and gets cooked

note that I’m no expert at laminating steel , I’m just motivated to try to make this work

Last edited:
It's going to be a unique combination when you perfect it. Good luck!

Back