Zakuri blue #1 kurouchi gyuto NKD

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice looking blade.

How long did the work take and why'd you decide to take the KU off?

Did you smooth out the spine or choil along the way, too?

How long did the work take and why'd you decide to take the KU off?

Yes, why? WHY?! Why is the pretty KU gone? Where is it?! What have you done with it?!?! YOU MURDERER!!! YOU KILLED THE PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY KU!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yes, why? WHY?! Why is the pretty KU gone? Where is it?! What have you done with it?!?! YOU MURDERER!!! YOU KILLED THE PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY PRETTY KU!!!!!!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sigh... Human nature? I guess some guys are just never satisfied, yearn for the opposite, and love mucking around too much. :bashhead:

KU finish was not pretty any more after I scratched it up while learning to make the left hand bevel even.

Making the bevel even takes a lot longer compared with the the time it takes to strip of KU finish. Being able to round choil and spine was a big plus in cleaning up this babe; those edges came sharp.

i took the KU off the aforementioned Yoshihiro blue gyuto, after it started to flake. i found that the metal under the KU was very reactive, but i was able to tame it (i tried cold gun blue, but it stank for weeks after the application, so i stripped it again and then applied a few light layers of mustard).

Mostly it was a joke. I've had KU finishes that just disintegrated. It's incredibly sad, but it does happen. I reserve the right, however, to lament the KU's passing.

Interesting side note: This is the first clad knife that I've owned that "rings" when you run your finger across the edge. Usually the cladding seems to deaden the vibration. Picture is of the 240mm Zakuri and a 270mm Suisin IH gyuto for handle size comparisons.

IMG_0205.jpg

Right - I can see. The Zakuri (ho) looks almost identical in size to your Suisin (ichii, I guess?). The Zakuri looks just a tad shorter.

Back