Zanmai availability in Europe?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cave_dweller

Reaction score
Hi, I hope this is appropriate - please move/delete if not.

I fancy giving the Zanmai PRA left handed knife range a go, but I'm struggling to find any stockists in Europe, or that will ship to Europe. A couple of places have their higher end stuff available, but so far nothing for us lefties. Can anyone suggest a seller please?

Thanks.

I'm in the U.S. For the next two weeks if you want me to pick anything up and bring it back for you?

Yep, they are - esp. compared to prises in the US. In their physical shop in Copenhagen, I looked at a Konosuke stainless (HH) standart 135 mm petty with ho wood handle. Then I discovered that they wanted more that 1500 DKR (>230 USD) for it.
- Kim

The webshop from the netherlands is the only source I know of.

If anyone has or gets one of those knives, I'd be rather interested in a choil-shot.

I'm in the U.S. For the next two weeks if you want me to pick anything up and bring it back for you?

Thanks Tom, ever the gentleman. I think Japansemessen has me covered this time. Of course, you could bear me in mind if you happen to wander into anywhere that sells 1 micron diamond spray... :D

If anyone has or gets one of those knives, I'd be rather interested in a choil-shot.

I have a small Gyuto on the way. I've never taken a choil shot, but I'll give it a go when it hits the doormat.

Sadly they don't list the Nakiris, but I've heard good things about the grinds so I figured it was worth a shot. Worst case my Padwan sushi chef (aka no.1 son) will give it some work to do, as he suffers with southpawitis too.

Zanmai is currently far behind on production, like everyone else in Japan. They also increased their prices last month so expect prices abroad to increase soon. Probably still listed at old Prices.

I have two Zanmai knives, and truth be told, they are pretty damned good. I sure hate price increases, though.

I have two Zanmai knives, and truth be told, they are pretty damned good. I sure hate price increases, though.

I hear you on the price increases. I got a left handed 180mm Gyuto, and I have to say it cuts well OOTB. The edge isn't exactly what I'd call refined (very visible scratch pattern), but very serviceable. A quick trip over a loaded strop has had a positive result. There's a very obvious left hand grind - the right hand side is essentially flat, with quite a strong convex on the left, and much wider edge bevel on the left as well. Food release is really good. My opinion so far is it's well worth the money.

Zanmai knives are excellent. They sharpen there knives 70/30 so you will be able to tell easily if it is right handed or left.

Put them in a fine stone out of the box for good results. Some models will require slight thinning.

Back