ZK Meiji

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmm, sounds like the 8" wouldn't be all that bad then, assuming I got it correct that you had the 10" as well. My only real complaint with the 10" was I always seemed to dig the heel into my cutting board, but I was able to adjust for this.

If it works out, I'll be getting the ZK Euroline Limited Edition II Carbon Damascus with Karelian Birch handle. Probably the closest thing I'll ever get to a real Kramer.

It looks like the hand forged damascus variant has a different profile to the mass produced ones, so I don't know if feedback on the production models will be of much use.

I can confirm with Photoshop if you'd like.

I remember there being a thread on the carbon damascus variant back when they were first released, with a review from an owner of one but I can't remember who it was.

I hope you're getting a nice discount on it.

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.

You don't need to confirm with Photoshop exclusively for my sake, but if you're interested for yourself id be keen to see the results. Whether or not they're the same/different, I'll probably be getting regardless

I'll get it done so you can see, I think that the damascus version is quite a bit flatter and the tip seems lower (which should be better).

It'll only take a few minutes to do a rough job.

Here you go.

I couldn't find a high resolution photo of the 52100 version from the SLT website. The sizing has been matched and the handles aligned.

It was done in a couple of minutes so please forgive the roughness.

346591_zpsvrldkjtp.png

34659_zpsnucyxgsj.png

I couldn't help myself. Just got the 10" chefs Meiji in the mail today. The little note that comes with it states the core steel is SG2 Super Steel.
Haven't used it yet, but it is lighter than the carbon and essential versions. Handle is pretty nice, the metal ferrule isn't sharp on the corners like the Shun version. Super thin behind the edge as well.
I'll post thoughts later

I couldn't help myself. Just got the 10" chefs Meiji in the mail today. The little note that comes with it states the core steel is SG2 Super Steel.
Haven't used it yet, but it is lighter than the carbon and essential versions. Handle is pretty nice, the metal ferrule isn't sharp on the corners like the Shun version. Super thin behind the edge as well.
I'll post thoughts later

PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!
PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!PASSAROUND!

I'll post thoughts later

Pics too!

I'll post thoughts later
The included pamphlet may have a typo that it's SG2, usually Zwilling's knives that are made of SG2 steel (e.g. Birchwood, Artisan, one of the Morimoto lines) will say "MC63" using their nomenclature, but the Meiji has stamped on it FC61, which is most likely not SG2 and instead AEB-L. Regardless, congrats on your new knife! It's a really nice one, and hopefully you really enjoy it...I know I sure did while demoing it. If by chance you are able to weigh it, would appreciate if you could post that info.

The Knife does have "FC61" stamped on its side, and the pamphlet says SG2. I just thought it was worth mentioning. I think it's just a carry over from their other damascus line, which is SG2. And I'd like to point out that Zwilling does refer to as SG2, not "MC63".

I think for $350 (actually $335 after 10% discount and taxes added) it's a pretty good knife. I'm quite pleased with it. Onions and carrots are a breeze to cut. Freshly peeled potatoes are as well, however this some decent amount od "sticktion". With a tall blade road, that's almost expected given the flat-ish grind. But when I cut the potato in 1/2 lengthwise, and then come back and do the the rapid fire thin half moon slices, the potato stays put, no sticking.
I mentioned flat-ish grind, but there is some convexing to it. When I hold the knife up to the light and place the flat edge of my business card on it, you can see light shining through on either side of the card.
Kind of like a ͡͡

I'll post pics later.

Yes you're right, Zwilling does indeed call it out as SG2 in online descriptions or sometimes it's even highlighted in the listed item name (e.g. "Miyabi Birchwood SG"), but on the blade itself will be stamped "MC63" in that case.

That's good to hear about the food release properties on say like potatoes. Can you confirm that the grind is indeed symmetric (although with an asymmetric edge)?

Played with the 10" Meiji some more today and had it side by side at SLT with the 10" Essentials, and it appears while the grind style between the two is the same, the Meiji is slightly thinner both at the spine, and behind the edge.

(Also just a heads up to folks that SLT's new return policy as of Feb this year is 60 days).

I handled it yesterday too. Its very thin and the damascus is like the Sukenari ZDP. The handle is exactly the same as on the WS Meiji but WS has deeper damy layers. Profiles are close too, I think the original Meiji are a little taller, but didn't have them both in hand at the mane time to compare.

Sorry if I seem like I've been living under a rock or if I missed something in an earlier post, but when you mention the WS and original Meiji, are you referring to the Shun version of yesteryear? Whereas the SLT version is the new Zwilling Meiji?

Yes I believe he is referring to the previous Shun Kramer Meiji

FYI had a chance to weigh the 8" and 10" chef's knives...7 7/8 oz (~220 g) and 8 7/8 oz (~250 g).

Richard - do you have any further thoughts on the 8 and 10 length comparison? Did you get a second chance to handle the 8?

I'm leaning towards the 8 - from the comments by Mucho Bocho and others, and the fact a I only have one 8" knife

Yes, I ended up getting a ZK Meiji 8" late last year, and I think both the 8" and 10" are great choices, just depends what you are looking for. What are you wanting to know specifically?

Oh, you picked one up, nice one. In that case, what made you go 8 and not 10? What's your usual gyuto length, and how much useage does yours see, and , well, how do you like it? :)

The handle sounds good to me, as well as most everything else (carbon core would be nice I suppose :) )

Thanks

I got the 8" instead of the 10" because the former happened to be on sale :). My go-to used to be 240 mm, but I have been using my 210 mm and 8" knives more than my 240s in the past year. Prior to getting the ZK Meiji 8", the knife I was reaching to most often was a ZK Essential 8". I sold the ZK Essential 8" as the Meiji is now taking its place. The Meiji is lighter and more nimble, and I find the handle can give more precise control (especially noticeable for the 10" size). Both the 8" and the 10" (from my time test driving it in the store) feel very good in the hand, and have a good fun factor. I actually found the ZK Essential 8" had surprisingly good fun factor as well considering its weight (~9 oz), but it was a unique and interesting combination with its compact length, height, heft and thin geometry behind the edge (+ distal taper). The ZK Essential 10" is very well-performing knife and is comfortable to use, but it doesn't really have the fun factor, at least for me...but that's not really unexpected considering that Bob Kramer's objective designing the Euro/Western-handled line was to have more heft combined with thin geometry, and to be comfortable to use. And in that aim, he succeeded.

In summary if money were no object, I would probably choose the ZK Meiji 10" instead of the ZK Essential 10", but that's just my preferences. Though honestly at the 8" size, it's a bit of a toss-up between the Essential or Meiji...both are very fun to use in their own way. If I didn't have so many knives, I might have considered keeping both...

Thanks Richard, very good feedback comparison. Your summary of the ZK 10" is spot on with mine. An immensely capable knife, flawlessley produced, and very comfortable in use, but not much fun. As such I reach more often for a different knife

I decided on the 8" Meiji and that is what is on its way

Must be exciting. Let us know what you think when you get it

Back