Zucchini squash

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dafox

Reaction score
It's that time of year, my garden is exploding with zucchini squash!
I grow green and yellow varieties.
What are your favorite ways to prepare them? I eat most in stir fries, going to have an egg scramble with them for breakfast.

I like them young, cut in half and cooked in a pan with olive oil for a few minutes each side.
Fergus Henderson has a nicely simple recipe for "mushy courgettes" were you cut 6mm slices and cook them in butter in a casserole with a lid for 15 minutes stirring occasionally.
They a nice stirred into a risotto as well or cut them into a thick julienne and mix them into a spaghetti carbonara.

i'm putting some into Korean jsang jsang noodles tonight. apologies for butchering the spelling. i am in a major hurry.

i quit growing them. turns out my neighbors are always making rounds, trying to find people to give them to.

nothing uses up a big pile like soup. i roast them after a rubbing of oil, and salt. then dump them into a pot to simmer with chicken stock and then blend it into a smooth soup. i dont strain it because i like the texture. some cream if you want, a drizzle of good olive oil, and some crusty bread. done and done.

My favourite - Fried zucchini. But it is a lot of work, especially if cooked for more then 2 people, so I usually eat them at restaurants :).
i love them fried..however, eating them at a restaurant is a terrible way to use up surplus zucchs from the garden. :D
man, i havent had fried zucchine, besides tempura fried in decades!!

I love zucchini seared/grilled hard on one side and then cooled and tossed into a salad.

It'd be a little more work, but if you slice them lengthwise around 1/4", salt them on a wire rack and let them purge some excess moisture, you can shingle them and bake into a galette or on a focaccia with some creamy cheese, herbs, maybe some confit garlic. This would work with ratatouille flavors too.

Zucchini chocolate chip muffins! We plant costata romanesco (heirloom), which isn't supposed to be too high yielding, and despite cutting the number of plants from 6 to 4 this year still end up with waaaaaay too much. Also this variety still tastes good when they get above 3 pounds (which happens really quickly).

Quick pasta for 1 person:

Sear 250grams (pref. yellow) zucchini 5mm half moons with 1 thin sliched garlic clove in olive oil. Stop when browned a bit but still with bite. Add pinch of red pepper flakes. Salt to taste. Leave in pan.
Cook penne pasta 150g.
Toss together with 5-10 chiffonaded mint leaves, 1 tablespoon of cream and 2 tablespoons grana padano or similar and drizzle of olive oil.

Best when done with TF Mab.

Last edited:
Back