Zwilling 1731

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joschutt

Reaction score
Hi all,
I am about to purchase a set of these.
Has anyone got any info on these, or do I just waste my $$$
Thanks, jo

I just looked this up, assuming you are talking about the 7 piece one : "Zwilling J.A. Henckels Twin 1731 7-Piece Set"? I have to admit they do look nice and that's a very nice looking stand/block.

I think most everyone here may tell you to stay away from commercial sets... If wanting a pretty set in that beautiful stand is what you need then go for it. But if you can manage a wall magnetic bar I would go for putting together a nice kit from any of the great sellers on the site, if you don't mind exploring a little. As such I would recommend you reach out to Jon at www.japaneseknifeimports.com great guy, super knowledgeable and for that money he'll build you a great set, sans bread knive though..

That block is nice though....

Hi all,
I am about to purchase a set of these.
Has anyone got any info on these, or do I just waste my $$$
Thanks, jo

That is a rock-chopper's dream. Unfortunately, I also chop with the tip as do most KFF members. Imagine trying to accomplish the simple task of dicing onions with that thing.

Largely overpriced indeed, and a poor geometry if you're not very tall AND working on a much too low counter, as far as the chef's knife is concerned.

Go get yourself a Zwilling Miyabi 600D 10-inch chef's knife. It's thin enough. It's hardened to HRC60. And it's got a much better profile. :) Oh yeah. It's half the price of that 1731 whatever. But I'd go with something even more simple. Search for knife recommendations. :) And let us know what kind of cooking you do.

I just looked up the 7 piece set of 1731:bigeek: You have so many great alternatives at that price range, that will perform very well; consider also as part of your budget how you will maintain the edge.

Back