Zwilling-Henckels warranty replacements

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
whoops, I meant "but there is nothing about the knife that makes me think it wouldn't be a nice cutter."

And I did chop up an onion, and it cut very nicely, with less stockage than some of reported. I couldn't help myself, however, and I blended the bevels a bit. It's sitting in warm vinegar, right now, in an attempt at smoothing out my residual scratch marks. Maybe I'll take some pics on Wednesday or Thursday. It's a very nice knife.

Whew! For some reason I find relief in this. I really enjoy mine, just wish it had some convex to it.

Whew! For some reason I find relief in this. I really enjoy mine, just wish it had some convex to it.

I'll post pics of mine. The only thing I did was blend the bevel in, so the convexity it has was OOTB. I'd guess there is some variability.

Cut a bit more. After blending the bevel, I could be happy with this knife, even with two Heijis and a Kagekiyo on base. It's a very nice knife.

I knew you'd like it! Now to find out whether or not my upcoming Heiji makes me sell/trade away my other 240s, like you did....

Sorry I haven't taken any pics, but I've been very busy, and I don't really see the sun at all, due to the vagaries of my schedule vs that of the sun. I have Monday off, so I should be able to rectify that soon. Anyway, I've used the knife a good bit more, and I think it's excellent. It's not better at any one thing that any other particular knife I own, but it has a very solid all-around skill set. I think the ergonomics are excellent, and the steel can take a much thinner grind than it has. I hope to tweak it on Monday.

The one I handled at SLTs flat spot was true, no holes.Though there was a noticeable THUNK at at the heel.

Is this characteristic of these knives? Or just the one they happened to have?

Mowgs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here are a few pics. Click to embiggen.

Thinned choil:

Original (more or less) choil:

Basic refinish of blade after thinning:

Sorry if you posted this info before ER... How tall is that knife at the heel?

Damn, I got the original choil and thinned choil labels backwards. If a mod would like to fix that, I'd be grateful.

It was 60.5mm tall OOTB, and is about 60.2mm, now.

Ha! I was wondering that when I saw this earlier. I was thinking, "is it my phone that makes the second look thinner or am I seriously this amateurish?"

You should see this knife, after Jon Broida went crazy on it.

It sucks to get a knife with a flaw like that. I once wanted to buy the IKEA VG 10 clad Slitbar gyuto when they still had them. I looked at three different knives which the salesman brought me one after another (from the other end of the warehouse, judging by how long I had to wait for him each time) and every single one of them had a massive concave section in the middle. I rejected them of course. After that they wouldn't take any more knives out of their packaging for me ... a real pity, I still have an almost unused normal Slitbar in my collection and it is a pretty nice knife for what it cost back then.

I've contacted Zwilling USA, but it was late in the day when I got the knife, so my message was towards the end of the work day, and I am sure weather is going to delay things anyway, as they are in NY, so I don't really expect to here anything back super soon. Regardless, I'm sure they'll replace it, given their warranty, but here is my question: is this a company that typically replaces bad products with verified good ones, or am I going to be sending them back over and over again until I get a good one?

I have a Santoku whose handle became broken, and they gave me a replacement (waiting for it to arrive). But they responded to my question within 48 hours, and gave me instructions for how to return it for inspection and possible replacement. I sent it in the way they said, and they responded within a week, and told me I was entitled to a replacement (since the knife was no longer made - handle style) and game me options to choose. Easy.

Hopefully you have a similar experience.

(Also I had a terrible experience sending knives to them for sharpening. Never again. And they weren't accommodating about the sharpening, so I am going to try it myself (nothing to lose at this point).

Latest posts

Back