Best parer or petty for you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CoqaVin

Reaction score
So I need a smaller knife since I have 2 240's in my set and my paring knife got sent to the knife sharpener for our restaurant by accident. So it was ground down to nothing. :( Oh well good thing it was only a victorinox. But what is a good all around paring knife I see people have the Global or Mac ones how are the Tojiro DP ones or the Dojo?

I am also not trying to break the bank on this just something that I can use and last for awhile and will take the abuse thrown at it...Just don't want a plastic handle one like the victorinox that you can get for 10 bucks

Depending on the length you like, I love mine from Del. I use it all the time. Wife loves it too. Really a great knife.

Depending on the length you like, I love mine from Del. I use it all the time. Wife loves it too. Really a great knife.

I like the typical length for a parer maybe 4" maybe even 125mm...If you don't mind me asking how much you pay for that?

My Exec sous at work has one. I'll take a closer look at it tonight, but it's stainless clad with an AS core. I'm a huge AS fan. My current petty is a Kanehiro that is also AS and semi-stainless clad. Such a great steel, I've never been disappointed. I own 3 AS knives: Takeda, Hiromoto and the petty.

My Exec sous at work has one. I'll take a closer look at it tonight, but it's stainless clad with an AS core. I'm a huge AS fan. My current petty is a Kanehiro that is also AS and semi-stainless clad. Such a great steel, I've never been disappointed. I own 3 AS knives: Takeda, Hiromoto and the petty.

how much is the Kanehiro and where would I find it?

I have a Hiromoto AS petty as well. I like it a lot.

I just received my Del parer I got off B/S/T yesterday and it feels perfect in my hand. Will offer more later after some extensive use, but I can see why people hype it up as much as they do.

Has anyone tried the Suissin paring knife? I too am in the market for one and was thinking of giving it a try.

I have a dojo parer. In my opinion, it's junk. Very overground, borderline unsharpenable. It has a kind of right hand bevel / ura grind. The ura is awful. The AS seems well heat treated and is great to sharpen and doesn't chip or roll easily. However being carbon it quickly looses its sharpness on acidic fruits. The 2mm spine is also a bit thick considering its height, it wedges and steers on harder foods like apple.

I could have just got a bad one so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt.

i replaced mac pro parer with a dojo that's been converted to a skinny wa handle and acid etched. absolutely love this thing!! the mac pro is just sitting going unused now. the mac is damn good, but the dojo simply blows it away in sharpness AND retention.

I have a TojiroDP parer and a Watanabe in whithe steel.both do their job perfectly

i own a 90mm hattori hd petty and a ux10 180mm. i use them both all day long and i like them. be prepared to re-do the profile on the UX10 tho.

how much is the Kanehiro and where would I find it?

I'm pretty sure the only place that has them (unless someone carries them under a different "house" name) is Chef Knives To Go. I paid $150 for a 150mm about 1 and a half years ago, but now the price is $200. It's a great knife, but $200 is a bit steep. I'll bet the Hiromoto AS would be a winner.

As far as the Hiromoto AS petties go, i think that the 120 is a great little knife, but the 150 was a bit chubby for the length. I've owned both of these knives, really miss the 120, and I gave away the 150.

SQU, Sorry to hear about your experience but I have one too and I love it. I'm thinking that you might have received a bum one cause mine is tight. No over grinds, the AS is generously exposed and tip is very unique. More like a spear than an arrow. The handle fits so well in my large hand, even though the handle is quite small. I paid $60 four years ago.

I have a dojo parer. In my opinion, it's junk. Very overground, borderline unsharpenable. It has a kind of right hand bevel / ura grind. The ura is awful. The AS seems well heat treated and is great to sharpen and doesn't chip or roll easily. However being carbon it quickly looses its sharpness on acidic fruits. The 2mm spine is also a bit thick considering its height, it wedges and steers on harder foods like apple.

I could have just got a bad one so take what I'm saying with a pinch of salt.

My favorite paring is the Zwilling Bob Kramer in SG2. Handle feels amazing in my hand. Thin and sharp!

I love my Gesshin Ginga 180 petty in Stainless. It is a great knife: thin, takes and holds a nice edge, great fit and finish, and nice profile. It is incredibly light, and laser like. if this is the type of thing you are looking for in a petty, I highly recommend them.

I really like the zwilling Kramer carbon paring knife

I've said this before, but my Shun Classic paring is about as close to ideal as I've used. It's (IMO) far and away the best knife that Shun makes. I've slowly changes the blade shape over the years and ended up with something that looks similar to the famous sab. The handle and integral bolster add a balance bias that is very handle heavy (as it should be). It's a knife that just feels good and everyone who's used it really loves.

I'm a huge carbon fan, but this is a knife that I really appreciate being stainless as 99% of what it cuts is very acidic.
The only thing that I'd change is subbin in something like AEB-L or ginsanko for the vg10, but for the way that a pairing knife is used, the properties of vg10 are totally adequate.

IMG_20121001_152419.jpg

Agree on the Shun Petty, it's the best Shun I've owned. Can't compete with the Ealy new spec design though.

LOVE my Ealys. Highly, I mean, very highly recommended.

I've said this before, but my Shun Classic paring is about as close to ideal as I've used. It's (IMO) far and away the best knife that Shun makes. I've slowly changes the blade shape over the years and ended up with something that looks similar to the famous sab. The handle and integral bolster add a balance bias that is very handle heavy (as it should be). It's a knife that just feels good and everyone who's used it really loves.

I'm a huge carbon fan, but this is a knife that I really appreciate being stainless as 99% of what it cuts is very acidic.
The only thing that I'd change is subbin in something like AEB-L or ginsanko for the vg10, but for the way that a pairing knife is used, the properties of vg10 are totally adequate.

IMG_20121001_152419.jpg

I have head you say this before, and honestly I feel bad about selling my Shun paring which I got as a gift, still in the box for $45. BUT its ok. A newb got a great deal and I hope they are enjoying it.

Back