Best parer or petty for you?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is, indeed. But I will be glad to return it if you want it back. KH

After a weekend of work it's the Ealy by a mile, and then the Shun and then everything else.

Randy H. culinary scalpels Is the way to go in my opinion.... Im very happy with mine. :knife:

Petty, love my DT. Still trying to decide on the best paring knife...have a Del and a Harner. I also have a Tojiro that gets extremely sharp. I switch them up, but mostly the Del and Harner for now.

Ok kids, don't laugh, but here is my absolute favorite parer.
A 75c thriftstore old carbon Mora Boyscout. Thinned the hell out of it and made a handle out of scrap from the yard. The thing is the nuts. can even handle cleaning the bits of meat off bone without any chipping and still skin a tomato. One day I might actually take the time to clean up the grind marks… lol.

knife.jpg

Especially on this site, I love that you posted that paring knife. Love it, though it looks like it belongs at a vacation home in Mexico or something...just something rustic to compliment.

Ok kids, don't laugh, but here is my absolute favorite parer.
A 75c thriftstore old carbon Mora Boyscout. Thinned the hell out of it and made a handle out of scrap from the yard. The thing is the nuts. can even handle cleaning the bits of meat off bone without any chipping and still skin a tomato. One day I might actually take the time to clean up the grind marks… lol.

I think it's great!

My favorite parer is my little stumpy Rader. Shortest parer I've ever seen, combined with that wonderful Rader handle, it's just perfect.

I have a handful of petties, and like different ones for different applications. I actually like my Zwilling Kramer a lot (the 52100 flavor). I can use it to clean up meat with bones or slice some cheese without worrying about a chip. Takes a nice edge; just a dandy little knife. For cleaning up mass quantities of produce, I'm really liking my Hattori KD. It's amazingly nimble. When I spend a couple hours putting up some acidic vegetables like tomatoes, I don't have to worry about the micarta handle or orange spots showing up on the blade. Need to spend some time rounding the spine, tho.

A Rader and a McGhee. Look a bit different, but both are wonderful in the hand.

I've said this before, but my Shun Classic paring is about as close to ideal as I've used. It's (IMO) far and away the best knife that Shun makes. I've slowly changes the blade shape over the years and ended up with something that looks similar to the famous sab. The handle and integral bolster add a balance bias that is very handle heavy (as it should be). It's a knife that just feels good and everyone who's used it really loves.

I'm a huge carbon fan, but this is a knife that I really appreciate being stainless as 99% of what it cuts is very acidic.
The only thing that I'd change is subbin in something like AEB-L or ginsanko for the vg10, but for the way that a pairing knife is used, the properties of vg10 are totally adequate.

IMG_20121001_152419.jpg

Very cool! Your shape is almost identical to what i have done on my Shun...

Back