A 100$~ Wa-Gyuto

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyskr

Banned
Reaction score
Hi everybody,
I'm interested in purchasing a Wa-Gyuto for around 100-120$.
I already have a ARCO's knife, and want to go another direction.

I'm working at a restaurant, doing staff from cutting tomatoes or sweet potato to cut off the fat from a 7 pound piece of meat.
I need a true working horse, so a stainless steel is looking only logical to me, because I'm sure that in the stress of work I won't have the time to clean my knife after every other cut.

I did a little bit of research, and came back with two options, the Tojiro DP and the Richmond Artifex, but if you have other recommendation that will be great!

In the subject of sharpening, I don't have any experience in this field, but don't have a problem learning, but I don't want to spend more then like 30 dollar for a sharper (I do have the accesses to one just like this http://spatulascorkscrews.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54fc0864288330112791e6be128a4-pi), but I do know a place that sharp knifes for around 6 dollars!

Ok. A wa-gyuto is a gyuto with a Japanese handle. Both of the knives you listed are yo-gyutos: western handled knives.

Let me start by saying that I'd avoid an artifex, without a significant tune-up by an experienced sharpener, they are not great cutters.

If you're happy with a western handled knife have a look into the fujiwara fkm. A fujiwara will out perform a Tojiro dp and is a little cheaper. Where are you located?

A coworker of mine has a wa Artifex. It has a very nice handle for the price point. It did have a pronounced belly. It was relatively a thin knife, but I thought the edge was quite ax like, surprisingly. Also the giant Richmond logo is oft putting to me.

The wa Tojiro fit and finsh and handle may leave a little to be desired, but overall it should be a good cutter, and they know what they're doing with the steel.

An honest assessment, with no grudge towards CKTG, I would go for the Tojiro. If it turns out you love it, you can rehandle it down the road with a nice burnt chestnut or something from Jon or Maxim.

Also check out Sugimoto and Yoshihiro. They both make affordable wa's...

My ticket reads, "Row 7, Seat 16". Should provide a nice view....

A coworker of mine has a wa Artifex. It has a very nice handle for the price point. It did have a pronounced belly. It was relatively a thin knife, but I thought the edge was quite ax like, surprisingly. Also the giant Richmond logo is oft putting to me.

The wa Tojiro fit and finsh and handle may leave a little to be desired, but overall it should be a good cutter, and they know what they're doing with the steel.

An honest assessment, with no grudge towards CKTG, I would go for the Tojiro. If it turns out you love it, you can rehandle it down the road with a nice burnt chestnut or something from Jon or Maxim.

Also check out Sugimoto and Yoshihiro. They both make affordable wa's...

I think you're being too nice about the logo on the wa artifex. If I bought the wa artifex, I'd definitely sand it off asap. I thought Fujiwara made the knives and the edge on the FKH I had was decent OOTB.

Ok. A wa-gyuto is a gyuto with a Japanese handle. Both of the knives you listed are yo-gyutos: western handled knives.

Let me start by saying that I'd avoid an artifex, without a significant tune-up by an experienced sharpener, they are not great cutters.

If you're happy with a western handled knife have a look into the fujiwara fkm. A fujiwara will out perform a Tojiro dp and is a little cheaper. Where are you located?

Dusty,

Just want to let you know that both the Artifex and the Tojiro are available as a wa-handled knife. The forum software won'e allow linking to the former, but here's a link to the Tojiro:

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/tojiro-hammered-black

Regards,

Rick

It is hands down the largest logo I've ever seen.

And Tojiro does make DP wa gyutos in vg10....

There is a Tojiro DP wa-gyuto you can find on the site that's not allowed to be linked. I thought Korin sold Tojiros but I couldn't find them on their site.

Hi everybody,
I'm interested in purchasing a Wa-Gyuto for around 100-120$.
I already have a ARCO's knife, and want to go another direction.

I'm working at a restaurant, doing staff from cutting tomatoes or sweet potato to cut off the fat from a 7 pound piece of meat.
I need a true working horse, so a stainless steel is looking only logical to me, because I'm sure that in the stress of work I won't have the time to clean my knife after every other cut.

I did a little bit of research, and came back with two options, the Tojiro DP and the Richmond Artifex, but if you have other recommendation that will be great!

In the subject of sharpening, I don't have any experience in this field, but don't have a problem learning, but I don't want to spend more then like 30 dollar for a sharper (I do have the accesses to one just like this http://spatulascorkscrews.typepad.com/.a/6a00e54fc0864288330112791e6be128a4-pi), but I do know a place that sharp knifes for around 6 dollars!

My advice to you is don't use the sharpener you linked. As for the place that sharpens knives for 6 bucks I can't say if its a good idea or not, but it would be preferable if you learned to maintain your own knife. The cheapest solution is a king combo stone, but it'll still be over your 30$ limit.

I really, really hate to say it, but isn't it possible that since the wa-artifex is made by Fujiwara it might be pretty good? I can't them screwing up the grind as much as the western handle one everyone here says is an axe. Handle does look nice, sand off that awful logo on the blade of course. I bet it's thinner behind the edge than your average German knife that costs three times as much.

I really, really hate to say it, but isn't it possible that since the wa-artifex is made by Fujiwara it might be pretty good? I can't them screwing up the grind as much as the western handle one everyone here says is an axe. Handle does look nice, sand off that awful logo on the blade of course. I bet it's thinner behind the edge than your average German knife that costs three times as much.

You might think so, but sadly, that's not the case. And the logo is not screened on like a Sakai Yusuke, but etched in so that significant metal must be removed to get rid of it.

Rick

Is the Gesshin Uraku really worth those extra bucks?
I'm pretty short in cash and would prefer to pay 120$ top.

The Tojiro DP with wa handle is $99. You can find the link by doing a google search.

The Gesshin Uraku is definately worth the extra bucks. Think of it $125 for the knife $30 for the saya.

Mowgs

Thought all the Gesshin Uraku came with sayas. Unless I read wrong.

All except the new Kurouchi ones. I was just trying to put the price in perspective. Buying a saya for a knife that does not come with one runs about $30. So i try to take that into account when a knife comes with one.

Mowgs

All except the new Kurouchi ones. I was just trying to put the price in perspective. Buying a saya for a knife that does not come with one runs about $30. So i try to take that into account when a knife comes with one.

Mowgs

Ahh kk think he wanted the stainless which would be 155, but the price is pretty much the same as the stainless comes with the matching saya.

What if OP does not want a saya. He better save this $30 and buy some beers or a better stone for example.

What if OP does not want a saya. He better save this $30 and buy some beers or a better stone for example.

Very good point. Guyskr, what are your thoughts on a saya? Still, I think the Uraku is worth the extra money.

Very good point. Guyskr, what are your thoughts on a saya? Still, I think the Uraku is worth the extra money.

THE OP hasn't addressed how he will maintain his knife yet, might have to budget in some stones also.

You might think so, but sadly, that's not the case. And the logo is not screened on like a Sakai Yusuke, but etched in so that significant metal must be removed to get rid of it.

Rick

Rick - Did you take that picture of the wa-Artifex?

Guyskr No matter what you pay for a knife it will get dull.If you want to learn freehand on a whetstone,you can for free watching U-Tubes.Using you knife on the job,it is your most important tool,ease of use with a good workhorse knife is huge.

Having someone else sharpen your knife instead of learning to freehand puts you at a big disadvantage.All you need is a knife ,stone & skill.

The Gesshin Uraku is a no frills all around workhorse knife.At 155.00 wt. a Saya is a good deal.

Latest posts

Back