VMatter knives

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad that website is layed out like a Made For TV special mashed up with a tabloid. Interesting concept, but I'm wary of such hype.

So its a cast knife cast in high alloy steel? Surely thats nothing particularly new.

Someone in a better financial position than I should grab one of these. Im very skeptical but after reading a few links about it, im also dying to know more about it from someones mouth that isnt getting paid to tell me something.

I'm tempted to get the chefs knife and then do a pass around as a way to give back to the forums. But Larrin I wonder if you could comment on the following conjectures based on your knowledge if amorphous metal technology?

Is this simply a knife that will end up being 70+ on the HRC scale- i.e. harder then anything except for a ceramic knife? Also, regardless of what they say about never needing sharpening, would one be able to sharpen/hone the edge with diamond plates/spray etc. without somehow ruining the crystal structure? (I don't believe for a minute their initial edge would satisfy us!)

If I buy this, will my knife skill become as good as "Executive Chef" Debra Sims's?

It's also comforting to know that when I drop my knife, it'll just bounce right back up into my hand! :bigeek:

Yeah that knife didn't seem that sharp in that test and her knife skills are god awful. I wouldn't say it was falling threw the cucumber. I'm always wary of someone who refers to them selves a an executive chef. Also I'm pretty sure I could take any one of my knives, cut up a few card board boxes, then cut through a tube of toothpaste. Did you notice the spider graph has a section for food taste. I'm very curious how they came up with that.

So its a cast knife cast in high alloy steel? Surely thats nothing particularly new.

No steel at all. I suspect it is very hard, and somewhat brittle. There were discussions of liquid metal technology that compared it more to ceramic than steel. They were not very enthused.

You guys will have to ditch your stones after you get your knife. Forever sharp is coming. Kind of like forever young...

I'm tempted to get the chefs knife and then do a pass around as a way to give back to the forums. But Larrin I wonder if you could comment on the following conjectures based on your knowledge if amorphous metal technology?

Is this simply a knife that will end up being 70+ on the HRC scale- i.e. harder then anything except for a ceramic knife? Also, regardless of what they say about never needing sharpening, would one be able to sharpen/hone the edge with diamond plates/spray etc. without somehow ruining the crystal structure? (I don't believe for a minute their initial edge would satisfy us!)
Actually if it was in the mid 50's it would be quite hard for these types of materials. It's likely not even that hard. I don't know of any reason why it couldn't be sharpened.

Now i am really confused: mid 50's is basic german soft steel numbers, how could anything that hard keep an edge?

What's the point of a material that is about as hard as X50CrMo15??

So I guess what is the point of this material??

Now i am really confused: mid 50's is basic german soft steel numbers, how could anything that hard keep an edge?

What's the point of a material that is about as hard as X50CrMo15??

So I guess what is the point of this material??
As far as I can tell the advantage is marketing and injection molding. It's not all that abrasion resistant either (compared to steel and ceramic) so I'm not sure what would cause it to hold an edge forever.

Their executive chef's knife skills were lackluster. I don't know if it was the pressure of the camera because she seemed pretty nervous, but for her to take that long to cut those slices of cucumber and not get them perfectly doesn't help convince me that she's a reliable source for knives and knife skill.

I'm might be pessimistic, but I don't see how 100k is enough to compensate the cost of the two years of research at Cal Tech and five years of globetrotting (their words). If you got lucky, I can see some company funding the research for the alloy, but most companies would have abandoned the project if a use for it wasn't determined after two years so I don't see someone getting funding for an additional five years of travels. I'm also not a fan of people who repeatedly say their research or product is revolutionary since I feel that revolutionary is a descriptor given by the beneficiary of the product, not the product's developer. This isn't to say that a developer shouldn't be excited about their product, but there's a fine line between optimism and bravado.

I can't really decide if I like the profile of the knife or not. At first glance, it seemed awful to me with the tip raised that high, but then I noticed that it had a very flat spot after the steep curve. I feel like it might nice to use the steep curve for rock chopping and the flat spot for push cuts so it kind of combines both style of cutting with its profile. However, the flat spot might be a little too flat, although I don't think I can make a proper evaluation of its profile until I hold the knife in my hand and work with it.

I don't care what it's made out of, if the geometry and profile are crap, what's the point? Doesn't look like they put any development or research into either of these areas.

I wouldn't buy this even if this 'metal' was any good. These knives are some ugly @$%@$.

I don't think I have any interest in the products being advertised.

I once made a video of myself cutting to get a look at how my knives were cutting from a different angle and how poor my technique was, and I was going to ask for advice; but I'm actually rather glad I didn't, since I was worried about being ridiculed. Perhaps the commentary is just a reaction to hype and terms like "executive chef" but it's a bit discouraging to a relative novice like me who cuts a bit "like a nervous 12 year old".

While I can understand why many KKF users doesn't care about those knives, but are they really that bad? Are there anybody who actually tried them?

Am I right assuming they don't grind or sharpen those knives at all? If I understood correctly, the hardest thing is to create highly accurate molding form. After that they just fill it with liquid metal and get an almost complete knife (without handle). At least in theory it sounds interesting. If those knives could survive a few years of home abuse without need of sharpening, then I'll surely order them for my parents.

While I can understand why many KKF users doesn't care about those knives, but are they really that bad? Are there anybody who actually tried them?

Am I right assuming they don't grind or sharpen those knives at all? If I understood correctly, the hardest thing is to create highly accurate molding form. After that they just fill it with liquid metal and get an almost complete knife (without handle). At least in theory it sounds interesting. If those knives could survive a few years of home abuse without need of sharpening, then I'll surely order them for my parents.
They can't have molds that end up with a sharpened edge. There is sharpening done on the final knives. As far as never needing sharpening. That's the very question here. Are they just marketing? Or is there some reason why they would never dull? As far as I can tell there's no reason why they wouldn't dull.

Why can't they have molds good enough to make sharp edges? In theory it seems to be possible…
Here is an article about injection molding for an edge that is already sharp: http://info.liquidmetal.com/blog/bid/289868/Liquidmetal-Blades-Knives-and-Other-Sharp-Things

While they state that their unsharpened edge is "only an order of magnitude lower" than a sharp edge, I'm not convinced that it would be so easy. Half a micron is a lot smaller than 5 microns.

Here is an article about injection molding for an edge that is already sharp: http://info.liquidmetal.com/blog/bid/289868/Liquidmetal-Blades-Knives-and-Other-Sharp-Things

Yep, I've read that article. That was one of the reasons why I said it should be possible in theory. They said that even unoptimized mold was only 1 order of magnitude lower, so It should be possible to create very precise mold for a sharp edge (much cost a fortune though).

Anyway, would be cool to read actual reviews of those knives from KKF members.

Yeah, I'm sure their moulds are accurate to a nanometer. That or "nanosharpness" is pure BS.

Now let me think....:whistling:

Back